For Civil Engineering in particular

Need it for my Personal Statement.
Reply 1
Is nobody doing Engineering?
Reply 2
Original post by unknown_047
Is nobody doing Engineering?

Not at all really.
ICT as if in the GCSE or A-Level? Not at all.
Reply 4
Not so much for Civil engineering I would think. Computing on the other hand is more important.
Not Information Technology, but we need computational science, the ability to perform calculations for Engineering.

Calculus, Integration, etc.

Plus, CAD (Computer Aided Design)
Reply 6
My lowest GCSE grade was in ICT, so hopefully it doesn't matter at all :P
Reply 7
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
ICT as if in the GCSE or A-Level? Not at all.

A Level
Reply 8
Original post by Dr. Manic Mechanic
Not Information Technology, but we need computational science, the ability to perform calculations for Engineering.

Calculus, Integration, etc.

Plus, CAD (Computer Aided Design)

I wanted to somehow relate my choice of A Level ICT to Civil Engineering in my personal statement. I chose Maths and Physics, which are obvious that they are related to CE.

I chose ICT because everything works with computers today. Especially what you mentioned about CAD and I thought of designing, simulating, and testing projects virtually before starting the actual construction.
You'll need to be able to use CAD, NX, Matlab etc

If you've got experience with those type programs you'll be at an advantage, nut it's not a necessity.
Not very important at all. Maths is a must, and physics is expected.
I wanted to somehow relate my choice of A Level ICT to Civil Engineering in my personal statement. I chose Maths and Physics, which are obvious that they are related to CE.

I chose ICT because everything works with computers today. Especially what you mentioned about CAD and I thought of designing, simulating, and testing projects virtually before starting the actual construction.

I know what you mean, but you need to understand the difference between "Computing" and "ITC" which there are seperate A-levels for each subject.

Information Technology is all about how we organise and represent information in businesses/home.

The booking system at the cinema is IT
The banking system is IT
The cash machine is IT
Micorosft office e.g. Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc is IT
IT is all about information handling using computers, but not about computers specifically.
CAD, business projects (as you say) is IT

Computing is all about the scientific operation inside the computer. Computer Science (CS).

Binary is CS
programming is CS
Studying the inner software/hardware architecture is CS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're trying to relate Civil Engineering to ICT by saying that computers are used to control the business projects (Civil) then that is perfect, but just don't go further in explaining about the details of computer operation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information technology systems are used to organise information within the business organisation.

Microsoft office suit
Engineering drawing (CAD)
Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM)
Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)

Engineering information (data) is directly feeded into an CIM machine, the advantages of CIM machines is that they can be very precise in cutting.

And so on..............
Reply 12
I know what you mean, but you need to understand the difference between "Computing" and "ITC" which there are seperate A-levels for each subject.

Information Technology is all about how we organise and represent information in businesses/home.

The booking system at the cinema is IT
The banking system is IT
The cash machine is IT
Micorosft office e.g. Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc is IT
IT is all about information handling using computers, but not about computers specifically.
CAD, business projects (as you say) is IT

Computing is all about the scientific operation inside the computer. Computer Science (CS).

Binary is CS
programming is CS
Studying the inner software/hardware architecture is CS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're trying to relate Civil Engineering to ICT by saying that computers are used to control the business projects (Civil) then that is perfect, but just don't go further in explaining about the details of computer operation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information technology systems are used to organise information within the business organisation.

Microsoft office suit
Engineering drawing (CAD)
Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM)
Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)

Engineering information (data) is directly feeded into an CIM machine, the advantages of CIM machines is that they can be very precise in cutting.

And so on..............

Thanks so much man. I greatly appreciate that. Could you just kindly give me the name of a CAE software you use as a civil engineer? The name if possible. And also how much is done on a computer if not all? Do you do everything on a computer or do you still do most of work by hand?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks so much man. I greatly appreciate that. Could you just kindly give me the name of a CAE software you use as a civil engineer? The name if possible. And also how much is done on a computer if not all? Do you do everything on a computer or do you still do most of work by hand?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a Mechanical Engineering student, :P but I'll try my best to explain.......

How much work is done on a computer is greatly depending on the job title of Engineer.

Engineering Technicians (TechEng) are more likely to be working with hands since they're "Technicians".

Chartered/Incorporated Engineers will also be working with hands (but only a little), they're specialized on the theory side of the Engineering, such as CAD, etc.

A proper Engineer will work with hands as well as by computers.

They'll typically need a:
Computer
Computer controlled manufactoring machines (Computer Integrated Manufactoring, CIM)
Pens and paper
A deadline plan (could be a project manager too)

Everything has to be planned out, theory comes first (not always, but mostly).

An Mechanical Engineer will use AutoCAD and Mechanical AutoCAD, while a Civil Engineer will also use AutoCAD with AutoCAD Civil software.

Using a CAD software is very complicated, definitely not for someone with very little Engineering knowledge but for someone, who wants to virtualize real time Engineering.

e.g. "Computers may be used to virtualize Engineering concepts"

How much time it takes to do it on CAD, it really depends on the project that the Engineers are working on.

As far as the "CAE" that is mostly related to Mechanical Engineer, but then again, there are numerious of metal parts in Civil Engineering. I don't know what CAE software do Engineers use, but Google it.....

Wikipedia
"Instructions for manufacturing a part must be fed to the necessary machinery, either manually, through programmed instructions, or through the use of a computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) or combined CAD/CAM program. Optionally, an engineer may also manually manufacture a part using the technical drawings, but this is becoming an increasing rarity, with the advent of computer numerically controlled (CNC) manufacturing. Engineers primarily manually manufacture parts in the areas of applied spray coatings, finishes, and other processes that cannot economically or practically be done by a machine."

This is useful on Civil and Mechanical Engineering. Some Civil Engineering companies may produce some metal parts to be used in construction......
(edited 13 years ago)
A Level

At A-Level your better off doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths.

There will be computing on your course but you won't be doing much useful at A-Level computing wise.
At A-Level your better off doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths.

There will be computing on your course but you won't be doing much useful at A-Level computing wise.

He wants to relate ICT to Engineering, he has probably already done ICT if he has reached to the Personal Statement stage.
Reply 16
I'm a Mechanical Engineering student, :P but I'll try my best to explain.......

How much work is done on a computer is greatly depending on the job title of Engineer.

Engineering Technicians (TechEng) are more likely to be working with hands since they're "Technicians".

Chartered/Incorporated Engineers will also be working with hands (but only a little), they're specialized on the theory side of the Engineering, such as CAD, etc.

A proper Engineer will work with hands as well as by computers.

They'll typically need a:
Computer
Computer controlled manufactoring machines (Computer Integrated Manufactoring, CIM)
Pens and paper
A deadline plan (could be a project manager too)

Everything has to be planned out, theory comes first (not always, but mostly).

An Mechanical Engineer will use AutoCAD and Mechanical AutoCAD, while a Civil Engineer will also use AutoCAD with AutoCAD Civil software.

Using a CAD software is very complicated, definitely not for someone with very little Engineering knowledge but for someone, who wants to virtualize real time Engineering.

e.g. "Computers may be used to virtualize Engineering concepts"

How much time it takes to do it on CAD, it really depends on the project that the Engineers are working on.

As far as the "CAE" that is mostly related to Mechanical Engineer, but then again, there are numerious of metal parts in Civil Engineering. I don't know what CAE software do Engineers use, but Google it.....

Wikipedia
"Instructions for manufacturing a part must be fed to the necessary machinery, either manually, through programmed instructions, or through the use of a computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) or combined CAD/CAM program. Optionally, an engineer may also manually manufacture a part using the technical drawings, but this is becoming an increasing rarity, with the advent of computer numerically controlled (CNC) manufacturing. Engineers primarily manually manufacture parts in the areas of applied spray coatings, finishes, and other processes that cannot economically or practically be done by a machine."

This is useful on Civil and Mechanical Engineering. Some Civil Engineering companies may produce some metal parts to be used in construction......

Thank you so much. It was a great help in my personal statement as well as how engineers use computers and what sort of software they use. I had only heard of CAD and never of CAE, so that was really helpful.

I will do some further research on that matter, but I got the idea now.
He wants to relate ICT to Engineering, he has probably already done ICT if he has reached to the Personal Statement stage.

Whoops. In that case he should mention Maths or Physics more and talk about mention experience at making Excel models you made.
Whoops. In that case he should mention Maths or Physics more and talk about mention experience at making Excel models you made.

I'm mathe-holic
Reply 19
There is abit of programming for problem solving and alot of CAD work.
If you can use SolidWorks or ProDesktop that's a big plus.

And knowledge of MATLAB or Basic Java maybe some of the other similar languages would help alot as well seeing as we had a whole module on it.

Quick Reply

Latest