The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you go even one owrd over the word limit, then you cannot get higher than half marks.

That's scary! :eek:

I guess I need to work on that before we do History coursework next year.
Reply 21
Out teacher aslo says there is a major difference between coursework that is marked by your teacher & coursework that is marked by the exam board. Word limits are strictly enforced in the latter but not the former.
Our A level History coursework (OCR) is examiner marked. The target length set by OCR is 2500 words & they allow you a 500-word leewa so the maximum word length accepted is 3000 words, & examiners stop reading at 3000 words.
The word-limit and half-marks thing certainly wasn't true for WJEC History.
Reply 23
FadeToBlackout
Little tip for everyone word processing coursework... hit word count. Note the number. Then manually count the words. Notice the difference? Word count counts each individual piece of punctuation as a word. I found this out after spending TWO WEEKS paring my A2 coursework down to the word limit. Bah.

Yep. Hypenated words will count as one word when Word counts it, but if you remove the hypen it will then count as 2.

Similarly, if you use a different word processing programme, or use an online word counter, they will count words differently.

In exams, if you have to count words (like for an English summary, if you still do them), then just have an idea of your average words per line and multiply it by the number of lines you've written. It's rough, but usually fairly accurate, and it's quick.

Latest

Trending

Trending