The Student Room Group

Post your desk!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by elia
The Holy Trinity - iMac, iPad and iPhone. Somebody clearly isn't on a student budget.

Looks fantastic, performs amicably. Such is Apple.

Sorry not trying to be a hater! Just release your inner nerd and go for some REAL specs
Reply 921
Original post by Fuaadh0
Mine :biggrin:

Let me guess... You like Apple!

Nice setup man total cost? (can't see if iPad first/second etc...
Reply 922
So much money in this thread...
Reply 923
Original post by C_G
So much money in this thread...

Everything, literally everything you see in my workspace pic below cost less than one iMac or Macbook. Computer, speakers, monitor, desks, chair, lamps, furniture, everything.

Original post by SMed
Everything, literally everything you see in my workspace pic below cost less than one iMac or Macbook. Computer, speakers, monitor, desks, chair, lamps, furniture, everything.

I wish had a room like this, but I share one with my brother :colonhash:. But then again I'm heading off too uni next year.
Original post by SMed

Not in total I assume?
Reply 926
Original post by Kruz
I wish had a room like this, but I share one with my brother :colonhash:. But then again I'm heading off too uni next year.

is that another R3 i see there?
Reply 927
Original post by Chrosson
Not in total I assume?

Imacs start from 999 so i wouldn't bet against it. But reckon his rig would spank the imac
Reply 928
Just realised that my desk is tiny haha!
Reply 929
2012-07-26 13.49.10.jpg

2012-07-26 13.49.53.jpg

Usually my phone lives here too, but I was using it to take the photos(that's it's sheepy case) :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SMed
Finally got some much needed office furniture. Got a small chest of drawers for under the desk where I can finally throw in all my stationary and nerd junk. Also put up that bookcase today to get rid of the stacks of books and piles of stuff sitting on the floor in the corner.

Got the Virgin V+ HD box on top of the drawers under the desk to the right, connected to the monitor, with audio running through the PC's sound card.

Also got a subwoofer under the desk now, much needed for games and films/tv.

It's mostly done now.

Can i ask were did you get you black desk pad ?
Reply 931
Not in total I assume?

CPU: i5 2500K (bought in the US for £135)
RAM: Patriot 8GB dual channel DDR3 1600Mhz (bought in the US for £37 (£31 if I can figure out to do the rebate))
Case: Fractal Design R3 (bought used for £40)
GPU: Asus ATI Radeon HD 7850 (bought new for £180)
Cooler Gelid Tranquillo (bought new for £23)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600 watt modular (bought new for £70)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (bought new for £76.99)
Storage: Hitachi 2.5" 500GB HDD (already had) + Crucial M4 128GB SSD (bought new for £135)
Monitor: Dell Ultra Sharp U2311H 23" IPS (bought used for £124)
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 (bought new for £32)
Mouse: Logitech MX518 (bought used for £25)
Speakers: Fostex PM0.5 active monitors (bought used for £100) and Mission active subwoofer (bought used for £40)

The desks were free, printer was £30, lamps £16 for both, book case was £30 or £40 I think? Drawers were £20, chair was £30.

I suppose you could get a poverty spec iMac if they start at £1000.
Reply 932
Original post by princecaspian
Can i ask were did you get you black desk pad ?

Overclockers.co.uk. They're usually about £10 or so. Got mine on offer for £7 and free shipping as a member of their forums. Fantastic mat, I love it. Mine's 900mm, but they even do a 1200mm one too.
Original post by SMed
RAM: Patriot 8GB dual channel DDR3 1600Mhz (bought in the US for £37 (£31 if I can figure out to do the rebate))
Storage: Hitachi 2.5" 500GB HDD (already had) + Crucial M4 128GB SSD (bought new for £135)
Speakers: Fostex PM0.5 active monitors (bought used for £100) and Mission active subwoofer (bought used for £40)

The desks were free, printer was £30, lamps £16 for both, book case was £30 or £40 I think? Drawers were £20, chair was £30.

Guitar? That's what I was surprised about.

Edit: that said, your pricing kinda puts things in perspective. Nicely done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 934
Guitar? That's what I was surprised about.

Forgot about that! :biggrin:

Well, my Dad did give that to me a few years ago. It's probably worth a couple of hundred at the most, so still below a decent iMac.
Reply 935
Original post by gamer91
crap quality due to phone, but you get the idea...

i want this lol :biggrin:
Reply 936
Edit: that said, your pricing kinda puts things in perspective. Nicely done.

Yeah, could easily have done cheaper now, but I splurged on things like GPU, monitor and PSU. In fact, the PSU was a £20 Corsair C430 and GPU was an £80 6850 before I upgraded. I wanted that monitor because it's excellent for photography work.
Reply 937
Original post by SMed

What does your monitor shelf comprise of and where can I get one? :colondollar:
Reply 938
Original post by elia
What does your monitor shelf comprise of and where can I get one? :colondollar:

It's an Ikea Lack shelf that I found a long time ago. It's sitting on top of some old broken bookshelf speakers that aren't connected to anything. I've got blu-tack at every corner of every point of contact, especially the large fostex speakers on top.

The Lack shelves are cheap, and you can put them on anything I suppose... two bricks? :tongue:
Reply 939
Original post by SMed

Nice set up!

Good find but can I ask you if the computer is loud?

I know you have a cooling tower but it was fairly cheap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending