The Student Room Group

Vet Interview at Cambridge - question format

I have an interview coming up at Cambridge.

I've been told that they will ask 'academic' questions - how much will the questions be based on an in depth knowledge of A-level chemistry and biology? I have these, but as a mature student I'm knocking them off in a strange order, and it will be quiet a lot of work to get them revised to a high standard for 7th December. Right now if they asked me about A-level biology though I would be trying to remember back 6-7 months and I think I would bomb.

Would I be better off though to think about ethical/topical questions? More veterinary specific reading?

I suppose what I'm asking is the format of the interview. Are they going to ask me about aspirin because it's on the A-level sylabbus, or about horses in Ireland being let loose to roam because it's in the news? How based on the A-level is the interview likely to be?

How much will they ask about my work experience, and in what way? Will they ask me to outline what I did roughly, or ask me specific questions about it?

Any sort of response hugely appreciated.
Original post by pirate_eye
I have an interview coming up at Cambridge.

I've been told that they will ask 'academic' questions - how much will the questions be based on an in depth knowledge of A-level chemistry and biology? I have these, but as a mature student I'm knocking them off in a strange order, and it will be quiet a lot of work to get them revised to a high standard for 7th December. Right now if they asked me about A-level biology though I would be trying to remember back 6-7 months and I think I would bomb.

Would I be better off though to think about ethical/topical questions? More veterinary specific reading?

I suppose what I'm asking is the format of the interview. Are they going to ask me about aspirin because it's on the A-level sylabbus, or about horses in Ireland being let loose to roam because it's in the news? How based on the A-level is the interview likely to be?

How much will they ask about my work experience, and in what way? Will they ask me to outline what I did roughly, or ask me specific questions about it?

Any sort of response hugely appreciated.

I was asked a handful of non academic questions (eg; why I wanted to be a vet, would I ever consider a career in research, etc) and the rest of the 2x20-30 minute interviews were academic questions (eg; calculating gas equations in my head, why developing antiviral drugs was so difficult, etc). Personally I wasn't asked at all about my work experience or interests.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I think I was asked one ethical question then the rest were academic based relating veterinary to my A level science in my two interviews last year. One was a horrid interview with a question that basically every vet I've told has been like WTF (for want of a better word) and the other was actually quite nice. Didn't get a place though.

Not one mention of me or my personal statement or work exp, etc.
Reply 3
Ok, cheers. That's me with my head in a book for the forseeable then.

Do they tend to stick to the AS, as some people won't have completed the A2, or do they roam across both as they please?

I'm not going to like the answer to that question, I can just feel it, lol.
Reply 4
Just out of curiosity, were you for normal entry or the mature colleges? I suppose they might treat mature candidates differently, what with them often not having standard sets of qualifications.

Although I doubt it, as for veterinary they seem to want the bog standard A-level combination.
Ok, cheers. That's me with my head in a book for the forseeable then.

Do they tend to stick to the AS, as some people won't have completed the A2, or do they roam across both as they please?

I'm not going to like the answer to that question, I can just feel it, lol.

They aren't particularly looking for textbook answers but rather trying to gauge your potential, how you think, etc. Their questions may have an A-level element but it may be on the very cusp of the syllabus or integrated into a contemporary topic (eg; if bTB was in the media recently they may ask why we don't vaccinate the nation's herds).

I had interviews at a couple of the other vet schools, Cambridge was the most unpleasant by far.
Reply 6
I've never applied there but I remember last year seeing this video of a Cambridge interview. You may well have seen it but if not it could give you an idea of what the science aspect of their interviews are like (presuming the interview style doesn't vary huge amounts between colleges)

http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/videos/interviews/?showvideo=46

I realise it's a mock of a Medicine applicant, but it's kept quite general I think.
Reply 7
My experience as a Grad/Mature student was that they questioned me about my PS and CV (ie picked areas to discuss in depth) - then got into random q's about herbivores being larger than carnivores and why that was so, and why rabbits exhibited coprophagia,...

Got through it, surprisingly, and am now at the other end!!!!
On my interview letter it says there's a passage for me to read. What kind of passage is this? A news article? Scientific Jounral entry?? Any ideas would help. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 9
I thought cambridge waited until the BMAT results were out before offering interviews? Time to have a mini panic
Have anybody received an interview offer from Fitzwilliam college?
It varies a lot between colleges, some of my friends got the typical abstract questions that you hear about but i got a fair bit on welfare (as it was what the interviewer lectures) a bit on the extended essay i mentioned in my ps and the some questions about how gene transcription is regulated- they were quite nice about keeping it challenging but encouraged me. Its really best to talk to someone who knows who will be interviewing you as it can vary a lot- what college is it?
Original post by misswager
I thought cambridge waited until the BMAT results were out before offering interviews? Time to have a mini panic

Depends on the college- some dont look at it too much, some do (and some ignore the essay,some focus on it)
Reply 13
Original post by patrick ye
Have anybody received an interview offer from Fitzwilliam college?

One of my friends has for vet med but I think he is a ridiculously highly qualified for cambridge (or at least I hope he isnt the norm :frown: )
Reply 14
Just out of curiosity, were you for normal entry or the mature colleges? I suppose they might treat mature candidates differently, what with them often not having standard sets of qualifications.

Although I doubt it, as for veterinary they seem to want the bog standard A-level combination.

I would imagine it depends on how much of a mature student you are! ie. whether you're 21 and have just decided later on to take your A levels or whether you are really mature...e.g. I'm 35, have a degree in Animal Science, have been working in pharmaceutical research for 10 yrs etc etc - I'm sure they would ask me different questions to the 21 yr old example

Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
I've applied to Wolfson College. I'm 23, and I have a normal amount of work experience. I'm not a pharmacist, or a farmer, so there isn't anything in my CV they will pounce on.

I'm fairly certain they couldn't have had my BMAT score when they decided to interview me. I marked that I wasn't available across several dates and the admissions secretary e-mailed me to ask about this - she confirmed me a date and a time slot, so I assumed that meant they were interviewing me, long before the official invite to interview came. I only found out so soon because they were trying to give me as much time as possible to change my previous commitments.

Thank you all for your help, particularly the mature students.
I've applied to Wolfson College. I'm 23, and I have a normal amount of work experience. I'm not a pharmacist, or a farmer, so there isn't anything in my CV they will pounce on.

Make sure you know your PS inside out. Everybody is trying to sell themselves and it is very easy to stretch the truth - it is the admission's tutor's job to ascertain the true extent of what you have claimed in your PS and they're very good at what they do. You may not be aware of it but even their more casual questions can be an extension of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending