The Student Room Group

Fillings

Have you had any? If so how many? How old are you and do you take care of your teeth/ not eat too much sugary food?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, many, 24 and these days a brush and mouthwash twice a day. :smile:
Reply 2
I have like 7. Was reading up on them the other day, apparently there is strong evidence to suggest they are extremely harmful, the mercury ones that is, considering how incredibly neurotoxic mercury is
Hmm, maybe 4 or 5? No recent ones though, just from when I was a child and didn't take care of my teeth :colondollar:
Reply 4
I have a couple, mainly in the the back molars. I dont think I had my first filling until I was around 16/17. I have always looked after my teeth though and do not eat or drink much sugary stuff.

I dont know many people that dont have any fillings. There seem to be more and more young children who are having holes filled in their milk teeth though, or having teeth removed because of dental decay
Reply 5
I have 6 fillings, my teeth were damaged by brushing too much and too vigorously. Used to be terrified my teeth would fall out when I was younger so I was brushing them 4 times a day, damaged the enamel.
I have too many to count :frown: I had really bad teeth anyway and then I got diabetes which I'm told has a bad affect (undiagnosed for over a year so waaaay high blood sugar) and then I got Coeliac which 'flattened' my teeth.... that and being terrified of the dentist has made my teeth awful! But I think I've just gotten over my phobia now so no more skipped checkups.
I've had 2, not too bad. One fell out the day after, though. Probably because I was eating a stick of rock, who knows.
Reply 8
One, when i was like 12..
Reply 9
I don't know, two?
I never took care of my teeth as a child. My parents just trusted me to do it and never checked, even though I didn't really know how to do it properly. I also never went to the dentist until I was like 8 lol.
These days I'm pretty good; I brush two or three times a day, virtually never drink fizzy drinks or eat sweet things, apart from fruit, and actually go to the dentist. :p:
I'm 17 and I have one.
3 - but 2 are mini!

one from when I was 14 - the last two mini fillings that are really small and shallow I got in the summer.

I take pretty good care of my teeth - not stellar obviously - but pretty good.
Ive got none :smile:, i've been lucky with my teeth which im happy about i love them!
I don't have any woop woop.
Original post by Sprockette
I have too many to count :frown: I had really bad teeth anyway and then I got diabetes which I'm told has a bad affect (undiagnosed for over a year so waaaay high blood sugar) and then I got Coeliac which 'flattened' my teeth.... that and being terrified of the dentist has made my teeth awful! But I think I've just gotten over my phobia now so no more skipped checkups.

What did you get type 2 diabetes?
Original post by Guy Secretan
What did you get type 2 diabetes?

No, type 1. My blood sugar would probably have been about 30 for a year.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've had 4 on each of my back teeth, and the teeth were removed eventually, I was about 13 at the time. :o: I'm 19 now, I brush them better than I used to, don't eat as much sugary food, but still quite a bit, but my teeth are fine atm so far.
Reply 17
Original post by Guy Secretan
Have you had any? If so how many? How old are you and do you take care of your teeth/ not eat too much sugary food?

Three, which is still bad enough. First at 21, second at 24, third at 25. I tend not to include the second though as that was pretty much inevitabe. My teeth are a little crowded and my canine teeth are behind my pre-molars meaning cleaning them properly can be difficult. I now use inter-dental brushes although the tooth may still need to be removed (even though it's healthy) to provide extra room.

I did neglect my diet a little during my late teens and early 20s, largely due to depression, including drinking too much coke (as a child I only used to have a glass a week). Although I've heard things like crisps are worse as they stick to the teeth. I think the coke, along with being a huge fan of fruit, has had more of an effect when it comes to the acid erosion I've experienced.

I now use a soft toothbrush, use a neutral ph mouthwash twice the day, sometimes a fluorise mouthwash during the day, as well as a high fluouride toothpaste three times a week. Other days I just use Colgate Total. Oh, and try and floss once a day (which is tedious).

Oh, I also chew sugar free gum (with xytol) after meals. Helps to re-mineralise and clean teeth.

Edit: - I should say that the cavity which led to the third filling was very, very small. The others were still not large by any means.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
3 recently, They are all composites as i didn't like the idea of having mercury in my mouth.
I have two- got one when I was 14 and another when I was 17. Both of them are the white ones. I used to get a little lazy brushing at night so only did once a day really- but then when I had my first one (without injection, she said it was only a small one, liiies..) and it absolutely KILLED I started brushing twice a day without fail, flossing, mouthwash, cutting out sugar.. haha :P

Quick Reply

Latest