The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into Kings?

Hello, I am fairly desperate to go to Kings College, London, to do their adult nursing degree, but I have no idea what my chances are.

Currently, I'm doing Higher Education Introductory Studies (level 4) at Birkbeck. I apply in January and so far my marks have been good- 64% on my first (ever, as I dropped out at A-Level) assignment and 72% on my last one. I have tons of experience in mental health advocacy and disability activism but no hands on experience, which I am frantically applying for!

Just how difficult is it to get into Kings?
Reply 1
I got in with no experience and a 2:2 degree so academic stuff isn't the major factor to get on the course, imo. Doing voluntary/paid stuff helps but for me I think my reference was good and my PS was strong - they're both important, at least in the early stages.

Obviously you'd need to impress them on the selection day too and pass the maths and literacy exams! But I reckon if you get shortlisted for interview you'll do ok, I thought I hadn't got in but found out a month later that I had and the course is great! :smile:
Reply 2
Sadly not you are too fat
Reply 3
Thank you, Tiki! Well done, too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Sorry for the bump! I have an interview on the 23rd! Bricking it! Any advice would be appreciated, I'm doing MH nursing. x
Reply 5
Well I'm not too sure about the mental health, but I don't suppose that it will be majorly different to the adult or child selection days as they weren't particularly branch specific!

When I had my selection day (is that what they have called it or have they specifically said its an interview because we didn't have any 1:1 interviews but ofc they could have changed the selection process since mine :\) we did a short numeracy test (fairly basic, just to make sure you're going to be able to medication calcs basically), a literacy test (they said to look at basic grammar and spelling and that you have legible handwriting for writing notes etc) and then they basically spent time trying to convince us to come to kings (didn't take much to convince me haha) and then we had a group discussion about what we thought a 'good nurse' should have as their most important qualities. That was facilitated by 2 lecturers but there were about 25 of us there so I've always thought that you'd have to stand out pretty far in the wrong direction to not be offered a place after that so long as your numeracy and literacy tests go ok!

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest