University College London
London

UCL Biomedical Sciences! 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mooniibuggy
I havn't heard anything :frown:
I'm waiting for a rejection...

Don't think that! There's always hope! Think about it this way - if you havn't heard anything, that means you still have a chance!

Original post by metachrome
keeping my fingers crossed, thanks a lot! >< btw where are you from! i'm from singapore haha.

Ooo Singapore! I've always wanted to go there! I heard this crazy rumour (i hope) that you are not allowed to chew gum in Singapore and that it's an INSANELY clean nation = literally and figuratively. And I heard Changi Airport is just beyond amazing!
Haha I am from New Zealand :smile:.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by _lynx_
What would you recommend me to wear for the UCAS presentation? Thanks :smile:

You're not going to be interviewd - nobody will even ask you anything. It's just basixally an open day for you get see the university and ask questions before you decide if you defitenly want to come to UCL. I can't remember what people, or I, wore last year. But honestly, anything would be fine - so jeans and a shirt/polo/whatever top or something along those lines.
Original post by wilkinson1291
ok so to clarify i did a bunch of resits during my alevels and ended up with BBC in alevel biology, chemistry and philosophy and an A in As maths. i'm resitting two biology modules, one chemistry module and taking a2 maths in January with the aim of getting 3As.

The resits during your a levels if fine - its only with medicine (and probably a few others) where UCL don't want resits. About doing the January exams to get 3 As is good to do - but I'm not 100% if they'd like it. I know it's been fine for people this year and the previous, doing similar to what you're doing. But it gets harder every year, and conditions change slightly cause of the increase in applicants. Phone Pam Houston (the departmental tutor) directly and ask her - she'll tell you everything you need to know. But otherwise, if you've got 5 choices - I'd say it's definetly worth giving a go.
Reply 23
Original post by Waterstorm
You're not going to be interviewd - nobody will even ask you anything. It's just basixally an open day for you get see the university and ask questions before you decide if you defitenly want to come to UCL. I can't remember what people, or I, wore last year. But honestly, anything would be fine - so jeans and a shirt/polo/whatever top or something along those lines.

I never expected to be asked to wear a suit, but I was wondering if it was smart/casual. I suppose it wouldn't matter if I wore a shirt or a jumper as I'd have a thick coat on to save me from the cold!

Thanks.
Reply 24
It's my back up for medicine. I was sent a questionnaire to fill out yesterday. Has anyone else received this?
Reply 25
Original post by Yhy92
It's my back up for medicine. I was sent a questionnaire to fill out yesterday. Has anyone else received this?

Strange... I never actually received a questionnaire. I received 2 emails in total from UCL, the first was an acknowledgement the second was a recommendation of offer.

Does anyone know the typical conditions for an IB applicant? I thought it might be something like 666 at higher level but it might be more demanding? I just hope it's not 777. :P
Reply 26
Original post by Yhy92

I have! I thought everyone has to fill one out...but it seems not :s-smilie:
Maybe it's because we've applied to medicine? So perhaps it is to get a better gauge of what our commitment to the course would be if we got on it. Honestly...I don't know! But lets hope it's followed by an actual offer :redface:
Reply 27
Original post by Yhy92

I have, but it's not my back up for medicine... well it sorta looks like a paper interview to me..
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CZephyr
Don't think that! There's always hope! Think about it this way - if you havn't heard anything, that means you still have a chance!

Lol, thanks but it's so competitive and I always think I have no chance but i'll try and stay positive! Would you mind telling my when you received your acknowledgment and recommendation of offer emails? It will be really helpful because i'll know approx. how long they'll take.
Thank youuu :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by mooniibuggy
Lol, thanks but it's so competitive and I always think I have no chance but i'll try and stay positive! Would you mind telling my when you received your acknowledgment and recommendation of offer emails? It will be really helpful because i'll know approx. how long they'll take.
Thank youuu :smile:

You have to stay positive BECAUSE it is ...rather competitive! :smile:
So I submitted my UCAS application on the 13th of October and it was processed on the 15th. I received an acknowledgement on the 22nd and then... the wait commenced :P until November the 26th.

UCL obviously hasn't updated UCAS since giving me the offer because the offer is not officially reflected on Track. But I hope it will be in the near future because I am really curious as to what my "conditions" are to the offer. I just hope hope it's not something insane like 777 at HL (I do the IB hehe)

Original post by ypuanrak
ohh finally biomed thread!!
i sent my application two days ago :biggrin:
Imperial, UCL, KCL, edinburgh and Queen Mary

i only got an acknowledgement from edinburgh and nothing else from other unis.. but i guess i'll have to wait a bit more.. ^^

anyways.. anyone applying with APs here??

Did you apply for biomed to all those unis? :smile: AP? Hahaha are you from the U.S? I don't do the AP but I did the IB and took the SATs/SATsii because I also wanted to apply to the U.S! As of 10 minutes ago.. I was still writing my app essay for the UCs which I believe are due in 3 days. (And now I'm procrastinating)
Are you also submitting your application to U.S colleges? Or are you set on going to the U.K for uni?
Reply 30
Hey, I applied to UCL for biomed, I got their questionnaire to fill in a few days ago, any suggestions?
Cheers
Original post by nats93
Hey, I applied to UCL for biomed, I got their questionnaire to fill in a few days ago, any suggestions?
Cheers

What are the questions on it?
Reply 32
Original post by CZephyr

Did you apply for biomed to all those unis? :smile: AP? Hahaha are you from the U.S? I don't do the AP but I did the IB and took the SATs/SATsii because I also wanted to apply to the U.S! As of 10 minutes ago.. I was still writing my app essay for the UCs which I believe are due in 3 days. (And now I'm procrastinating)
Are you also submitting your application to U.S colleges? Or are you set on going to the U.K for uni?

yupp all biomed oh except Edinburgh.. i appliced for medical science cuz they didn't have biomed but i think their almost the same... lol
and no i'm not from us hehe i'm a korean but i live in uk and i go to an american school here so i have american requirements :biggrin:
Got rejected from UCL for biomed today... kind of sucks... But then again it was my safety uni (which they probably found out)!

What sucks, though, is that they told me my grades weren't good enough (41 IB points) for such a competitive course.. =,= DOH. It better be the Med thing...
Reply 34
Original post by wavezone113
Got rejected from UCL for biomed today... kind of sucks... But then again it was my safety uni (which they probably found out)!

What sucks, though, is that they told me my grades weren't good enough (41 IB points) for such a competitive course.. =,= DOH. It better be the Med thing...

WHAT!??!? :eek::confused:
41 in IB? That's absolutely ridiculous. If you see on the prospectus, the minimum entry requirement for IB is a lot less than that (all i remember is that the points at HL must add up to 17 - 18).
Maybe they are using you grades as an excuse? Perhaps, like you said, they spotted that you are a "medic" and is only using biomed as a backup?
That really sucks :frown: I can feel your annoyance/pain, especially if you thought it was your backup uni. (UCL was my 5th choice too!) On the other hand, you have 4 other medical schools to think about!
Good luck with med school interviews! :smile:
:biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by CZephyr
Strange... I never actually received a questionnaire. I received 2 emails in total from UCL, the first was an acknowledgement the second was a recommendation of offer.

Does anyone know the typical conditions for an IB applicant? I thought it might be something like 666 at higher level but it might be more demanding? I just hope it's not 777. :P

What is your IB predicted may i ask? :P
Reply 36
Original post by Mi2
What is your IB predicted may i ask? :P

42 without the bonus.
As for those 3 bonus points (EE/TOK), I have NO IDEA. Our school doesn't mark the essay (IBO does), my predicted grade for EE was an A.

But I think I really really under - perfomed during the actual IB exams.

Are you an IB applicant too?
Reply 37
i got an email inviting me to their open day in jan
Reply 38
Original post by CZephyr
42 without the bonus.
As for those 3 bonus points (EE/TOK), I have NO IDEA. Our school doesn't mark the essay (IBO does), my predicted grade for EE was an A.

But I think I really really under - perfomed during the actual IB exams.

Are you an IB applicant too?

wooowww! thats like a predicted 45!
haha yea i do IB too (fml...) and im nowhere as good as u :s-smilie:
39+2
IB predicted= 41.. (HL 777)
sent back my questionnaire on thursday, and now waiting for a reply :s-smilie: im actually quite worried :frown:
oh... wait what do u mean by ur actual IB exam?
u've graduated already?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Mi2
wooowww! thats like a predicted 45!
haha yea i do IB too (fml...) and im nowhere as good as u :s-smilie:
39+2
IB predicted= 41.. (HL 777)
sent back my questionnaire on thursday, and now waiting for a reply :s-smilie: im actually quite worried :frown:
oh... wait what do u mean by ur actual IB exam?
u've graduated already?

Lol there's a reason why those grades are only "predicted"!! When has tomorrow's weather prediction been 100% accurate? :biggrin:
Haha my exam session was November 2010. I graduated already and is anxiously waiting for my final IB score!
Edit: 41 is a really good IB score!! I would be OK with a 41 for my final FINAL IB exams :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending