The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Atheist
I find it funny when Muslims/Pakistanis give lectures on the wests promiscuity, Pakistan is a country of inbreds, where an estimated 70% or more of them, marry and propcreate with thier first cousins. That is not to forget the child marraiges that take place with adult men.

Who is the more sexually preverse ?

Child marriages are only common in the impoverished rural areas because those areas are impoverished.....duh. the people are deprived of basic education since greedy politicians eat up so much of the federal budget. State systems are severely compromised. The people who lecture you are not from the impoverished rural land. What you are doing is generalization.

As for cousin marriages, the culture of India also harbors it. It is a culture where the connection between families is of importance as well and unions between two houses of same moral values makes both sides comfortable. To associate this solely with Pakistanis shows your bias towards them. I do not agree with cousin marriages and fortunately its a disappearing trend in the educated class of Pakistan if not in British-Pakistanis. Also inter-cousin marriages has nothing to do with promiscuity. Its viewed as normal in South East Asia and is not considered incest or taboo so your argument about who is more sexual perverse is completely off mark. you could only make that claim if it was taboo but still widespread practice. Donnot judge other cultures by your own ( I dont do it. I happen to think British culture is fine indeed). You don't have that right.

And those who don't like the promiscuity of western culture......SOD OFF THEN!!!! None of your business anyway.
Reply 61
You're nobody unless you're talked about.
Reply 62
Nobody can compete with the Americans. They have broken every record for being the most hated. They are champions at it.
Reply 63
Well, English people hate most of the world as well.
Reply 64
The English don't exist. The British do.
Reply 65
Original post by Teveth
The English don't exist. The British do.

Umm yes English people do exist :rolleyes:
Reply 66
Original post by CJN
I was speaking to some friends etc. a few days ago. There was about 10 people from a mix of places such as England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland, Ireland, Spain, USA, Canada.

It came up in topic when someone asked a northern irish person if they would prefer to be Scottish or English. They said scottish by a long shot.

But then it turned out that everyone except the English people in the group would prefer to be pretty much any other nationality (maybe not american for some) except for english.

So do you think that English people are the most hated, or some of the most hated on earth? And why is it? People seemed to just say "they are dicks", but why?

I've travelled all over the world and never had any problems.
Reply 67
The British are hated around the world, not the English.
Original post by Broderss
At least in England we are business types with smart clothes and a professional appearance and attitude.

:mmm:
Reply 69
I don't think we're the most hated on Earth by any stretch of the imagination. The only people I've ever met who have been abusive about the English are those who come from countries which would genuinely have a claim to be the worst places on Earth, and who are trying to make themselves feel better by putting other nations down. If the only reason someone can give for not wanting to be another nationality is "they're dicks", then the person clearly isn't worth listening to.

I've been to countries across the world and never received anything more than a gentle teasing for being English, and even then it's only been from people I'd consider friends. Most strangers I've met want to hear about what it's like to be English, I've been complimented on my "English manners", and my accent has been complimented a lot.

You also need to draw a line between friendly rivalry and actual hate. I can't imagine many French people claiming they'd want to be British, or vice versa. However generally that's more pride in one's own country, than hatred of another. You couldn't pay me enough money to be French, but that doesn't mean I loathe the country or its people. There are certain countries in the world that genuinely hate Britain and America, and would see it bombed to the ground for what they perceive as its faults. By comparison, a French person saying they'd hate to be English is nothing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by CJN
Umm yes English people do exist :rolleyes:

There's no such thing as an English citizen. Nor is there a Scottish citizen. You are British whether you like it or not.
Reply 71
Everyone from the British Isles hates the English because we won't let them be freeeeeeee.
Same reason we hate the EU, perhaps?
Reply 72
Original post by Mm_Minty
Everyone from the British Isles hates the English because we won't let them be freeeeeeee.
Same reason we hate the EU, perhaps?

I'm from the British Isles and I don't hate the English. Nor do any of my friends. The English hate is a myth.
Reply 73
Original post by Teveth
There's no such thing as an English citizen. Nor is there a Scottish citizen. You are British whether you like it or not.

that's why I never said English citizen. I said English people, meaning people from England - you are the only one who doesn't understand. what does that say about you? a bit retarded...
Reply 74
Original post by Teveth
I'm from the British Isles and I don't hate the English. Nor do any of my friends. The English hate is a myth.

That's nice to know :h:
Irish FTW?
Reply 76
Original post by CJN
that's why I never said English citizen. I said English people, meaning people from England - you are the only one who doesn't understand. what does that say about you? a bit retarded...

I never said that you said English citizen, did I? I was just pointing it out to you. You can't put England and Scotland alongside Spain, the USA and Canada, because Spain, the US and Canada are sovereign countries, ie actual countries and not just regions.

And I find your use of the word 'retarded' offensive. I think you should apologise.
Reply 77
top 10
US
Iran
China
France
Italy
England
North Korea
Lichtenestien
Russia
Germany

Loved;
Canada (:colondollar::o:o:colondollar: ah canada )
Sweden
Barbados
Switzerland
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Teveth
I never said that you said English citizen, did I? I was just pointing it out to you. You can't put England and Scotland alongside Spain, the USA and Canada, because Spain, the US and Canada are sovereign countries, ie actual countries and not just regions.

And I find your use of the word 'retarded' offensive. I think you should apologise.

Well people abroad definitely differentiate between Scottish, english, welsh and n. irish so it is a fair point. And why would I apologise when you started this criticism of me over nothing, you dont understand something very simple
Reply 79
Original post by L i b
Ending slavery is an admirable trait because we were amongst the early pioneers in ridding the world of a practice which had existed since the dawn of man. That is possibly as valiant as you get. England may not be 'all that' insofar as it is part of a diminished global power, but it is still an excellent and incredible place, significant on the world stage.

As for 'fiercely nationalist' - the only places that are fiercely nationalistic are ones where the natives are insecure about their own identities.

Britain started slavery when they colonised Africa, so big deal they ended it

Latest

Trending

Trending