The Student Room Group

Animals fights and Pokemon

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayAyy
It's a game ffs.

This. I can see and applaud you, OP, for the logic you used to attain your position but really, it is just a children's game.

I enjoyed Pokemon myself and grew up without killing small animals. If anything I was just as 'appalled' by the cat-binning lady a bit back as anyone.

Children are rarely as pessimistic as adults, so it is entirely possible for them to enjoy a show with logical inconsistencies.
Ja mon. I fight cocks, partridges, crickets and even dogs (pit bulls, kurdish kangals, rotties etc.) because of Pokemon. It was SO cool. Though IDC if the animal dies, I can learn from where I went wrong with the steroids and pain killers, also I can make sure I tie more razorblades to the claws next time.

^That was all sarcasm. It's a GAME, no intelligent human would take it as anything else.
i used to play pokemon with my brother using plushies and balls - we even drew our own maps ... ahhh the good ol' times...:biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by Kiwiguy
Go outside, get a life. How can this seriously be the most pressing issue on a sunday?!?! It should be something like "do i get up at 11 or 12?" or "2 slices of toast or 3?"

You don't seem to be outside (unless you have the laptop outdoors) so, why should I?:rolleyes:
Reply 24
Original post by shadow99
Pokemon is just a game. Animals are real.

Pokemon are animal-like monsters. That's a truth. They have animal appearance and similar behaviour.
Anyway, it's not about reality. Pokemon,real or not, are beings, and you are thought to train them with the unique purpose of fighting against them.
Would you worry if you caught your son with a new GTA version shooting at his father and mother?:007: Of course not, it's only game, isn't it?:rolleyes:
Reply 25
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
This. I can see and applaud you, OP, for the logic you used to attain your position but really, it is just a children's game.

I enjoyed Pokemon myself and grew up without killing small animals. If anything I was just as 'appalled' by the cat-binning lady a bit back as anyone.

Children are rarely as pessimistic as adults, so it is entirely possible for them to enjoy a show with logical inconsistencies.

I know it's just a game. But I think a game about animal-like beings fights and keeping them in cages (pokeballs?) it's sad although there is no blood. If GTA censored blood, would it be better?
Reply 26
Jangrafess
I am the Pokémon master!

It's a game.
Reply 27
Original post by OmarDurrani
Ja mon. I fight cocks, partridges, crickets and even dogs (pit bulls, kurdish kangals, rotties etc.) because of Pokemon. It was SO cool. Though IDC if the animal dies, I can learn from where I went wrong with the steroids and pain killers, also I can make sure I tie more razorblades to the claws next time.

^That was all sarcasm. It's a GAME, no intelligent human would take it as anything else.

Intelligent human? How many of that type do you think are in this world? And how many intelligent persons would play pokemon?
The fact is that pokemon is mainly played by malleable children. Pokemon fight but don't bleed. Foolishness. Pokemon fight but never die. What? Foolishness. Pokemon are happy to be in that oval cage called pokeball. What? Foolishness.
I admit that as a child I did not think about this and I enjoyed Pokemon. But if it's just a game or not is the least important thing. The only fact of make animal-like beings fight and catching them and keeping them in cages is enough.
Would happen with GTA then? Let's censor the blood and the deaths, just like Pokemon. Is it a good game?
What about games about robbery and similar? Are they okay just because they are just games?
Reply 28
Original post by Hylean
It's a game.

It's more than just a game! :O

ITS LIFE!!!!

No but seriously. Pokemon rocks ;D
Reply 29
Original post by spacepirate-James
Don't be hatin' on our Pokemon. :mob:

That was my childhood innit!

*yellow :sigh: :moon: *

If your childhood would have been a nightmare, would you still be angry about me hating it?
Reply 30
Original post by JayAyy
It's a game ffs.

GTA is a game too. Why don't you buy one to your child when he is 6?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Hylean
It's a game.

That's the reason of all this. Because it's a game. And people think the only thing can educate are books. Just a shallow perception of what education really means.
Reply 32
Original post by Quadratic
It's more than just a game! :O

ITS LIFE!!!!

No but seriously. Pokemon rocks ;D

I have enjoyed Pokemon also. But why TSR users don't seem to have some critical thinking?:frown:
Reply 33
Ok, why don't you criticise Super Smash Bros then?
You can be a Human in that game and fight ANIMALS. :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
I always imagined that when you were inside a pokéball it was like a different world. With trees and water and grass 'n' stuff. (anything's possible in the pokéworld :wink: )

annd I remember catching a ladybug inside one of the plastic pokéballs that came with the figures! Cool times :biggrin: :cool:
Reply 35
Original post by No Man
Ok, why don't you criticise Super Smash Bros then?
You can be a human in that game and fight ANIMALS. :eek:

Because censorship in Pokemon is more evident.
Reply 36
Original post by SoulfulBoy
That's the reason of all this. Because it's a game. And people think the only thing can educate are books. Just a shallow perception of what education really means.

I don't think games can't educate, but I think you take it far too literally. Taking this line of argument, you're no better than those who think Counter Strike and other FPS's are responsible for all the highschool shootings. They're not.

It's a game. Like books, games can educate, but children are reasonably aware by the time they've started playing such games or watching such cartoons that it is not real life and not to be emulated.

Seriously, you probably want to sanitise fairy tales too.
Reply 37
I have enjoyed Pokemon also. But why TSR users don't seem to have some critical thinking?:frown:

I think its just because you're thinking too PC. Realistically kids attain their morals from other sources than just 1 television program they happened to watch whilst growing up.

It's the same with the GTA you mentioned above ^ No harm letting a kid play on it when they're young, provided they're taught from all the other medians of their life that what happens on that game is principally wrong.

The problem comes when children who are allowed to play on games such as GTA are giving bad influence in all the other areas of their life, and thus develop bad attributes, which the politically correct fanatics then blame on the games the child plays.

In other words pokemon is just a game, and no child will think that cynically.
Reply 38
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
I always imagined that when you were inside a pokéball it was like a different world. With trees and water and grass 'n' stuff. (anything's possible in the pokéworld :wink: )

annd I remember catching a ladybug inside one of the plastic pokéballs that came with the figures! Cool times :biggrin: :cool:

Pokeballs are cages (a very small ones if you have seen the tv series). They are kept in cages until when they are required to fight or to train in order to fight later. They are given some calcium, iron and similar, all this with the purpose of improving their performance on battles. Of course, all this is very subtle and they put some stupid excuses.
Reply 39
GTA is a game too. Why don't you buy one to your child when he is 6?

So is Zelda. My child isn't actually going to get a sword and collect rupees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending