The Student Room Group

Maths Interviews

Hey has anyone done an interview regarding a Maths degree course yet? I'm not sure how to prepare. Both are situated under the informal interview, but my teacher said that the one at Royal Holloway could well be a formal one.

Has anyone got any tips please?

Appreciate your help :smile:
Original post by Caaliful
Hey has anyone done an interview regarding a Maths degree course yet? I'm not sure how to prepare. Both are situated under the informal interview, but my teacher said that the one at Royal Holloway could well be a formal one.

Teacher: Ere lads, how many days are in 2.5 weeks.
Tom: Sir! its 17.5 days.........
Jerry: No its not, its 18 days..
Tom: Pft! prove it then!
Jerry: Howmany days in a week?
Tom: 7
Jerry: Ok, whats 2x7?
Tom: Its 14
Jerry: Right, divide 7 by 2
Tom: 3.5
Jerry: Round the answer to zero decimal places
Tom: 4
Jerry: Ok! now add 4 days to the 14 remaining days, and whats the answer!
Tom: 18 days
Jerry: 2.5 groups (weeks) of 7 (days) is 18 (days), therefore it is 18 days!
Tom: Shut up!
Reply 2
Original post by Caaliful

It would be unfair to other candidates to give you specifics even if I had them, but my generic advice is that you should be prepared to

explain why you want to do that particular course (unlike in your PS, this is the time to say that you are really interested in x or y feature of their course and/or that uni)

discuss anything in your PS

answer some technical questions and/or work through a problem (they are usually less interested in you getting the right answer, and more in about how you think it through)

Be yourself. Everyone else will be nervous too. The interviewer/s will want you to do well and will not be trying to trip you up by asking trick questions.
Reply 3
Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending