The Student Room Group

The "Can I Apply for Grad Entry With X Subject" Thread

Since we seem to get quite a number of queries on this, here's a big thread for them all.

For information on this, have a look at the Graduate Entry Medicine guide on the wiki, in particular this section on the individual university requirements.

You will see that a number of courses are open to graduates of any subject, where others have a finite list of options.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Basically, what the title states. By that I mean a degree in medical science compared to Medicine. What is the difference mainly?
Reply 2
yeah I'm applying for medical sciences in Edinburgh as well.. the other universities that offer it aren't that good in my opinion so I have no intention in applying to them. There's only a limited number of unis that do med science though, so I think that's my main problem. I'm applying for Medicine as well so Medsci is basically my back up.
Reply 3
Hey everyone im a graduate optometrist, have applied for medicine this year whilst doing my pre-registration year. Wondering if anyone is in the same boat or has successfully gained a place at med school after doing a similar degree?

I wonder how the med school admissions team view us graduates?

Good luck to everyone applying

Hussain
As far as I know, for graduates of more vocational courses, med schools tend to ask for a significant period of graduate work experience.
Original post by ksachak

I wonder how the med school admissions team view us graduates?

Hussain

No differently in the standard graduate entry scheme. There are some like GKT who will take a significant number of years work in nursing in lieu of top grades, and some will only consider a BSc for a degree, but there is as far as I know no weighting for allied healthcare degrees.
OK basically, I'm not sure about whether to do a BSc in Biology or a BSc in Biochemistry for the Graduate Entry in Medicine. Anyone know which subject is better to study for in Uni and that will increase my chances in getting accepted into Graduate Entry in Medicine? Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply 7
I have no first hand experience of GEM.

As far as I know, both Biology and Biochemistry are equal.

If I were you, I would study Biochemistry.
Reply 8
Original post by ZHawk
Basically, what the title states. By that I mean a degree in medical science compared to Medicine. What is the difference mainly?

Main difference is that in medical sciences you don't learn clinical medicine and its application to patients.
Original post by digitalis
Main difference is that in medical sciences you don't learn clinical medicine and its application to patients.

Is that it?? Well they might as well chuck on the extra few years of clinical med , its application and let you study medicine. Considering you do all the scientific stuff and the requirements are B grades etc.... yet medicine asks for A grades.
Original post by Carryondoctor
Is that it?? Well they might as well chuck on the extra few years of clinical med , its application and let you study medicine.

They do this. It's called the Oxbridge preclinical years. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/
Reply 11
Is that it?? Well they might as well chuck on the extra few years of clinical med , its application and let you study medicine. Considering you do all the scientific stuff and the requirements are B grades etc.... yet medicine asks for A grades.

You don't do everything Doctors do. From looking at the timetable of sheffield preclinicals to sheffield biomedical courses they are rather different. Particularly as medical science courses can focus on whatever they want (normally the expertise of local professors) while Medical Courses have a broad national curriculum I believe.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Where are all the medic students who are healthcare professionals already? I know theres quite a few of you out there :smile:
Original post by digitalis
They do this. It's called the Oxbridge preclinical years. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/

Which is medicine. Yes..... Maybe I should explain this better errm...

Medicine and other subjects like biomedical science and medical sciences both have such similar parallels. Medicine requires A grades and A* and GCSE some tend to have high requirements. For biomed and medsci etc... they have generally lower requirements.

They might as well lower medical requirements imo

Medicine and other subjects like biomedical science and medical sciences both have such similar parallels. Medicine requires A grades and A* and GCSE some tend to have high requirements. For biomed and medsci etc... they have generally lower requirements.

In the past the entry requirements for medicine were quite a bit lower (though grade inflation muddies the waters somewhat). The main reason they're high is because there are so many applicants that they might as well have very high entry requirements as it's a reasonable way of cutting down the numbers and raising the quality on at least one measure.
Reply 15

Medicine is a lot more than just pure science.
Good call! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Is a chemical engineering degree suitable for applying to graduate entry medicine or dentistry? I'm currently in the 3rd year of a 4 years masters course, and want to do medicine or dentistry after. I got a 2.1 in my 1st and 2nd years, is the marks too low?
I got Bs at A-Level for Chemistry, Maths and Physics (and a B at AS German), and got 3 A*s and 7 As (including Triple award sciences) for GCSE.

How would I go about applying? would I have to start looking/applying around september next year? Maybe do UKCAT and some work experience over the summer?

Thanks in advance for the help
Reply 18
I created a thread- OPTOMETRY/PHARMACY TO MEDICINE with the intention of finding students in a similar boat as myself or medic students who previously did optometry/pharmacy so we can draw on each others experiences and find discuss interviews, career paths and so on. For some reason it has been combined with this thread which seems to miss the point- I am not asking if i 'can apply'.. could a moderator check this out for me. Much appreciated.
Reply 19
Can I apply with Biomedical Science?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending