The Student Room Group

photographer/writer for National geographic?

Hi,

just wondering whether anyone can give me information about being a photographer/writer for a magazine such as national geographic. Dont have to be anything specific but like the general idea. I checked the website but they list admin jobs. Or do magazine like that use freelance photographer/writer?

thanx.
Reply 1
I think they normally use freelance writers and photographers. Their website might mention something about contributions. A lot of magazines and newspapers say it is highly unlikely they will publish you etc etc, but it is always worth a shot.

You could always give such newspapers and magazines a call to find out.
It would be so cool to work there, wouldn't it? But if you have a good portfolio and the passion of journalism, I really think you should give them a call.

Bear in mind however, that the prestigious magazines often take journalists who have already shown what they're capable of doing. So it is preferable to start small, get experience, get the porfolio to be bulkier and becoming more confident, before even thinking of applying for NG.
Reply 3
Try getting a degree is jounalism or photography and working your way up with a good portfolio.
Reply 4
I would love to work for Nat'l Geographic. And yes, it sounds really cool, but you need to decide what you want to do. Do you want to be a photographer or a writer? Pick what you want to do and start small, get a degree, get experience, and unfortunaltey know that working as a photographer/writer for NG is about as difficult as making in the music/sports business.

-Start writing/taking pictures
-enter some contests
-get a degree
-get experience

Its a long road, but its not impossible.

Remember, you dont need to work for NG to see the world and have fun with photography, check out the link in my sig. I did that all on my own.
Reply 5
As far as I know, degrees in Journalism are not considered anything special by magazines etc. I remember reading that most big name magazines and papers think the degrees won't be any use for the future work.

A degree in Photography sounds like a better idea. In the meantime, you could write for your uni paper, your local paper etc. Practice and maybe try to score an internship/work placement somewhere. Trust me, if you show interest and passion, you are on the right path and they will hold the doors open for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending