The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Human charity vs Animal charity

Has anyone ever questioned the morals of people who decide to give money to charity and then decide to give money to animal charities instead of charities that help impoverished humans. Even when people then say they also give money to human charities to, well that's good, but if you gave the extra money you give to animal charities and spent that on human charities you could save even more human lives, which everyone (i would hope) holds in higher regard then animal lives and by giving to animal charities are you valuing animal lives more then human ones?
However I was also thinking you could take this much further then and every useless penny we spend on things like needlessly expensive clothes and game consoles ect could be given to charity otherwise we are placing these needless possessions above human lives. This then got me thinking that perhaps the main reason people give to charity are for "selfish" reasons (not necessarily bad reasons), in that people give a small part of there income to charity, not necessarily in the pursuit of an end to global poverty, but because it is a social norm, or perhaps because people find giving away a small chunk of their earnings gives them piece of mind or maybe because it follows religious customs to give to charity.

Anyway does anyone else perhaps have a different way of looking at this, where do you draw the line? and what are your views specifically about the animal charity vs human charity part?

edit-also I know I said spending needlessly and many people will not find helping suffering animals needless (as do I), but I certainly think Human care should be the absolute priority until at least an end to extreme poverty.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by anonstudent1
Has anyone ever questioned the morals of people who decide to give money to charity and then decide to give money to animal charities instead of charities that help impoverished humans. Even when people then say they also give money to human charities to, well that's good, but if you gave the extra money you give to animal charities and spent that on human charities you could save even more human lives, which everyone (i would hope) holds in higher regard then animal lives and by giving to animal charities are you valuing animal lives more then human ones?
However I was also thinking you could take this much further then and every useless penny we spend on things like needlessly expensive clothes and game consoles ect could be given to charity otherwise we are placing these needless possessions above human lives. This then got me thinking that perhaps the main reason people give to charity are for "selfish" reasons (not necessarily bad reasons), in that people give a small part of there income to charity, not necessarily in the pursuit of an end to global poverty, but because it is a social norm, or perhaps because people find giving away a small chunk of their earnings gives them piece of mind or maybe because it follows religious customs to give to charity.

Anyway does anyone else perhaps have a different way of looking at this, where do you draw the line? and what are your views specifically about the animal charity vs human charity part?

edit-also I know I said spending needlessly and many people will not find helping suffering animals needless (as do I), but I certainly think Human care should be the absolute priority until at least an end to extreme poverty.

As a guerilla I respectfully disagree.
Reply 2
Original post by Gorrilaz
As a guerilla I respectfully disagree.

:tongue:
I have to say when I donate money to charity I would always rather donate to a charity which helps people, and normally I donate through a Christian charity (I'm a Christian) because I do think human life is much more precious.

Also you are right about often donations being selfish, I know if I've just been on a big shopping trip I'm more likely to buy a big issue than if I was just walking to and from uni!

What also annoys me is why don't all the charities working for the same thing join up, therefore spending less money on advertising, buildings etc. and more on actually solving the problems!
You're always going to find a 'worthier' cause to donate to. If we all donated based on this 'qualification' then there would be one charity that received every donation and all other causes would be neglected.

I don't think its worth questioning.
Reply 5
Not disagreeing as such but want to point out that not all money given to charity actually gets there. Many charity jobs higher up are very well paid and money can end up going to the wrong people. Also in some instances the charity can not even help in the way it is supposed to. For example the nspcc.. put a stop to abuse? unfortunately no amount of money will help children that are being abused until somebody realises they are being abused, when social workers etc will 'deal' with the issue and support can be gained by many other sources. I do not give money to charity, I prefer to give donations to a local charity shop, where most proceeds go to a local children's hospice. I also used to work for a small registered charity where all staff where paid and any money for the individuals came from benefits and government allowances.. I believe it is no longer a registered charity, but it was for many years and believe me no charity work was done!
Reply 6
as above, but also i cant see how its an issue, i support animal welfair as much as i do human welfair, even though at most times i would respectibally say, the human race as we no it is shocked to peices by how inhumane we have become, and not only do we no this, but continue to do it until we are on our last legs, then we beg for forgivness... animals have as much right to live and be protected, as after all , we are the ones who put them there, for a peice of horn, or because you feel like killing it, habitat destruction...

in my opinion, as long as the human race continues down the path were on now, animals need more protection than we do
Reply 7
Original post by Arachnodam
as above, but also i cant see how its an issue, i support animal welfair as much as i do human welfair, even though at most times i would respectibally say, the human race as we no it is shocked to peices by how inhumane we have become, and not only do we no this, but continue to do it until we are on our last legs, then we beg for forgivness... animals have as much right to live and be protected, as after all , we are the ones who put them there, for a peice of horn, or because you feel like killing it, habitat destruction...

in my opinion, as long as the human race continues down the path were on now, animals need more protection than we do

Just out of interest what animal charities do you donate to, what animals do they protect. Which animals do you think deserve protection. Do you believe a dog and a fly have the same rights and deserve protection from harm.
Reply 8
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
You're always going to find a 'worthier' cause to donate to. If we all donated based on this 'qualification' then there would be one charity that received every donation and all other causes would be neglected.

I don't think its worth questioning.

Why not. Perhaps some charities are more deserving of money then others, according to most peoples morals. I think people may be to easily influenced by media and advertising on the issue and do not really think about why they are donating.
Why not. Perhaps some charities are more deserving of money then others, according to most peoples morals. I think people may be to easily influenced by media and advertising on the issue and do not really think about why they are donating.

The point is, those animal charities still are deserving.

To be honest, I don't give a ****. It's better than not donating at all.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
The point is, those animal charities still are deserving.

To be honest, I don't give a ****. It's better than not donating at all.

Animal charities unquestionably have an admirable cause. Looking after the welfare of helpless animals, particularly those who we associate with and are most intrinsically appealing to us. However every penny given to an animal charity is a penny which could be given to a starving human. While it is better to donate then not donate at all, if both sets of donations were given to humanitarian causes then hypothetically (not taking into account corrupt bastards) there would be more money to spend on helping humans, who surely must take priority.
I think charity is really interesting to think about. I give occasionally, but I always have this feeling in the back of my mind wondering where my money is actually going.

Especially in the case of poverty around the world, I question whether my £2 a month or whatever is actually going to help. The poorest parts of countries where people live in poverty are often not completely poor countries. They're run by very rich and powerful people who live in big presidential palaces etc... Just look at South Africa, for instance. There's people living in shacks the size of garden sheds, just a stone's throw away from gigantic luxury hotels and resorts that attract some of the richest people in the world.

I believe there is enough money in this world that nobody should have to live in poverty. But donating small amounts to charity barely touches the surface - what's necessary is a complete overhaul of worldwide political and economic systems, as well as a global respect for humanity that at the moment is sadly lacking.
Original post by **debbie**
Not disagreeing as such but want to point out that not all money given to charity actually gets there. Many charity jobs higher up are very well paid and money can end up going to the wrong people. Also in some instances the charity can not even help in the way it is supposed to. For example the nspcc.. put a stop to abuse? unfortunately no amount of money will help children that are being abused until somebody realises they are being abused, when social workers etc will 'deal' with the issue and support can be gained by many other sources. I do not give money to charity, I prefer to give donations to a local charity shop, where most proceeds go to a local children's hospice. I also used to work for a small registered charity where all staff where paid and any money for the individuals came from benefits and government allowances.. I believe it is no longer a registered charity, but it was for many years and believe me no charity work was done!

Yhh thats quite disgusting. My ex had a similar experience when working with another charity. Its mainly the ones that approach you in the high street like salesman, and get you to try and donate, without telling you there taking a big fat commission out of it! Donating should be an altruistic act, not something you have to pressure people for.
Reply 13
Yhh thats quite disgusting. My ex had a similar experience when working with another charity. Its mainly the ones that approach you in the high street like salesman, and get you to try and donate, without telling you there taking a big fat commission out of it! Donating should be an altruistic act, not something you have to pressure people for.

yeh its not uncommon :frown:
And I hate those guys who try and force you to donate in the street, even if i thought it was a decent charity and wanted to give to that one, I wouldn't sign up just out of principle. Not the guys fault, they just doing their job but reflects badly on the charity in my opinion.
Reply 14
Just out of interest what animal charities do you donate to, what animals do they protect. Which animals do you think deserve protection. Do you believe a dog and a fly have the same rights and deserve protection from harm.

well as for your example of flys, i dont kill them, dogs i dont harm them and my charity goes towards india, venuezala, french guyana, africa, to protect the rare and severe endangered tarantulas

somthing that people hate yet a very missunderstood animal

tigers, and pola bears also get my money so to say the least i pay a good amount on the animal front...

as for human, only cancer
Reply 15
People can donate their own money to whichever charity they see fit. If you think human charities are more deserving then by all means donate to them, but animal charities are as worthy as any in my opinion. If nobody donated to animal charities then many species in this world would already be extinct - extinct as a result of human activity no less.
I give to the church as I know it will go to help poor people. But if people want to help animals why not ? They also deserve some protection, it's hard to decide what it's worthwhile and not.

If we go further from your reasoning we could say it's better to give money to help people in poor country than giving money to help poor in Europe (because even if they are poor, they are less poor). I know you didn't mean that but that's your reasoning pushed to extreme.
Reply 17
I don't think you can question the morals of people who give to non-human charities rather than human charities anymore than people who give money to war veterans rather than overseas aid. Who are you to decide what charity is more deserving?

I donate to animal charities and non-religious human charities.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
People give to charity because they have empathy. However challenging their own circumstances may be, they know other people are having a tougher time. I agree that too many spend their money on having lots of possessions - and that money could be directed at helping less fortunate people.

Whether it's right to give to animal charities over human ones - you're still showing compassion. Why can't animals be helped, as well as humans? Most donations, political will, media attention, is directed at human beings. You may say this is how it should be. In comparison, animals charities receive a miniscule amount of money and media attention, and rarely any focus from governments.

Animals live here too, so I wouldn't discount them and say their needs should be ignored in favour solely of human needs. And when it comes to human suffering - it's often at the hands of other humans and simply giving endless amounts of money can be counter-productive when you see where this money sometimes ends up.
Reply 19
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I have to say when I donate money to charity I would always rather donate to a charity which helps people, and normally I donate through a Christian charity (I'm a Christian) because I do think human life is much more precious.

Also you are right about often donations being selfish, I know if I've just been on a big shopping trip I'm more likely to buy a big issue than if I was just walking to and from uni!

What also annoys me is why don't all the charities working for the same thing join up, therefore spending less money on advertising, buildings etc. and more on actually solving the problems!

Sadly a lot of these charities see eachother as competition. The charity sector is a very lucrative one. It does some good but also wastes a lot of money and pays huge salaries at the top.

Latest

Trending

Trending