The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

i'm 25, i used to be in the airforce and went back to study because it was almost impossible to get a good carreer and future in the airforce. i have started BSc Motorsport technology at Hert 4 weeks ago.
I still have to get used to it...it's difficult for me to study.
a good way to get back into studying is setting yourself a time table and sticking to it. You will find that you will get into the habit sooner than you think. Also, if the uni offers courses for mature students and those out of education for a while, take the chance. They are really useful.
Hi everyone!
After reading the forums for a few months now, I finally got round to joining.

I am 22 and I am currently doing Access to HE - Teacher Training, have applied for 2006, I have got my first interview this Wed Im soooo nervous already - bought rescue remedy and kalms today!

*Jo*
Reply 23
Hi Im studying social science in Leeds Im a 2nd year student

I atended a social work access course for 1 year which gave me decent grounding i gained 22 credits for this plus i did the E C D L computer course and English GCSE which i gained a B for and a basic maths adult numeracy test.

My modules are
Marxism
Europe Ethnicity and Exclusion
Folklore
Philosophy of Social Science

It is hard as im the oldest student in my year the age difference being 25years so im a very an independant student. I find i have problems with group presentations no one seems to want to work on them

If anyone wants any guidance on entering uni as a very mature student im here and if anyone can gice me any guidance id be gratefull
Miles
I'm not entirely sure how many mature students we've got on TSR so if you'd like to introduce yourself saying which course you're currently doing, why you've returned to education and any previous qualifications then it can at least be a starting point :biggrin:
Reply 24
Gillianyates_48

so im a very an independant student. I find i have problems with group presentations no one seems to want to work on them

I know exactly what you mean!
Reply 25
Hi, I'm 27 and currently doing a Science access course in Manchester.

Sinking fast under the stacks of homework/assignments!

I'm 22, currently studing an Access course in Psychology and Counselling theory decided to go back to education because I'd accomplished all I wanted to in the world of work and wanted to do something else. So I'm hoping to do a psychology degree next year, I'd like to become a doctor and work with the mentally ill.
Reply 27
El Scotto
I'd like to become a doctor and work with the mentally ill.

Are you planning on doing an MBBS after your psych degree? Or a PhD and do something more 'academic'?
Fluffy
Are you planning on doing an MBBS after your psych degree? Or a PhD and do something more 'academic'?

I want to do the Avanced Dip in Counselling and psychotherapy in the first year or 2 of my degree, so in the final years of it I can earn as a qualified Counsller,

I was planning on a PHD, I have issues with the biomedical approach and would like to help people without the need to resort to drugs.

whats a MBBS? (embaressed :smile: )
Hello my name is Tony Blair, I am the prime minister
Reply 30
El Scotto

I want to do the Avanced Dip in Counselling and psychotherapy in the first year or 2 of my degree, so in the final years of it I can earn as a qualified Counsller,

I was planning on a PHD, I have issues with the biomedical approach and would like to help people without the need to resort to drugs.

whats a MBBS? (embaressed :smile: )

MBBS is a medical degree. (as is the MBBChir, MBBCh, BM etc)
Fluffy
MBBS is a medical degree. (as is the MBBChir, MBBCh, BM etc)

never thought about it to be honest, I'll have to give it some research.
Reply 32
If by
"I'd like to become a doctor and work with the mentally ill" you mean in a medical capacity (i.e. as a psychiatrist), then you'll have to do a medicine degree. Otherwise you can work as a psychologist...

i.e. a psychiatrist, yes. Hmm.... Thanks for filling me in, I didn't think, I wanted to be a Psychiatrist/CognitiveBehaviourTherapist
Reply 34
El Scotto

i.e. a psychiatrist, yes. Hmm.... Thanks for filling me in, I didn't think, I wanted to be a Psychiatrist/CognitiveBehaviourTherapist

To be a Psychiatrist you need a medical degree and then to do the appropriate post-graduate training. The full training required from med school to qualified psychiatrist is given on theis web page: http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traindev/career/career.htm

To be a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist you do not need to be medically qualified, as I seem to remember from lectures being told that that was a branch of psychology.

This link should help: http://www.babcp.com/ It gives details on how to become an accredited CBT.
Fluffy
To be a Psychiatrist you need a medical degree and then to do the appropriate post-graduate training. The full training required from med school to qualified psychiatrist is given on theis web page: http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traindev/career/career.htm

To be a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist you do not need to be medically qualified, as I seem to remember from lectures being told that that was a branch of psychology.

This link should help: http://www.babcp.com/ It gives details on how to become an accredited CBT.

hey, thanks a lot. thats really good of you.
Its given me some food for thought.
I'm glad I havent sent off my Ucas application yet!
Reply 36
going back to uni or going in the first place is a nightmare once you are out of the education loop. I knew nothing about studying law when I applied and was just very lucky to get in where I wanted.
viviki
going back to uni or going in the first place is a nightmare once you are out of the education loop. I knew nothing about studying law when I applied and was just very lucky to get in where I wanted.

think how I feel being in a college surrounded by 16/17 year olds at the moment!! argh! luckily everyone on the access course has to be over the age of 19, I think the youngest is 20, but even so I'm looking forward to getting to uni though, I have more motivation now than I would of earlier in life.

Will miss/do miss having money tho. ; )
Reply 38
Hi guys I'm new to this.....just finished PhD in Biomedical Science at Uni Surrey and I've had enough of looking down the curved end of a test tube, so I'm considering going back to square one and reading Radiography next Sept/Oct (just spent last four years using ultrasound and actually seeing REAL people...should have done it years ago!)....my 30th birthday looms....
Reply 39
Hey I am 20, & have applied for uni to study Psychology in 2006! I had to take time out from my studies and I can't wait for Uni now as I'm at college with 16 -18 year olds and I am looked upon as ancient (thats to the few I've admitted my age to!) I tend to keep quiet it now, even though I know 20s not old at all, they obviously do! Uni will be great because age is no longer an issue once you get there & I'll be able to feel 'normal' again!

Quick Reply

Latest