The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey I am 20, & have applied for uni to study Psychology in 2006! I had to take time out from my studies and I can't wait for Uni now as I'm at college with 16 -18 year olds and I am looked upon as ancient (thats to the few I've admitted my age to!) I tend to keep quiet it now, even though I know 20s not old at all, they obviously do! Uni will be great because age is no longer an issue once you get there & I'll be able to feel 'normal' again!
i'am 23 years old and doing an nd in countryside management at myerscough college

emma
Reply 42
hi all
I am FRances, from Wiltshire. Done first degree and teaching diploma in South Africa, now hoping to go into Optometry - 10 years later. Worked for big pharmaceutical company as chemist and also taught sec science and maths.
I have 3 children(!!!), almost 31, but also work now, so I am used to juggle it all........ (or am I?), anyway, still waiting for an offer for a Xmas prezzie.... :smile:

ok, bye for now
Frances

--------------

Fluffy
I know exactly what you mean!

I am sooo not looking fw to group work. I like groups for socializing, but with group work, I usually do 80% of the work, and always have to 'keep the fire burning' or everybody will just wait till the cut off date!.........
Reply 43
Hello all my name is Liz , Iam 33 and almost at the end of an access course doing English, Maths, Biology and health studies , just got my interview at UCE ( 2nd Feb 06). :smile:
Hello I'm Kat I've just sent off my UCAS form. I'm applying to do English Lit, I'd like to be a journalist but don't want a degree that'll limit me to that for next 40+ years. Am 21 years old and applying as a mature student.
Reply 45
Hello, I'm 24, working as a science technician in a school. Off to study chemistry in 2006 - got my A levels when I was 18 but following a chemistry refresher course in the evening. Did further maths last year.

Am pretty excited about going to uni but will involve a few sacrifices - I've got a decent housing association flat in london (low rent) which I'll be giving up to go to halls. After my degree will be have to be finding somewhere to live like every other student!
Reply 46
Well, I am 34, have been working in airports for the last few years, and decided it was time for a career change, so doing a Science Access course at Chichester College, and off to do Radiography Sept 2006, fingers crossed. Got interviews at Exeter, Portsmouth and Kingston (St.Georges).
I am over the hill as far as a lot of my fellow access students go, but hey so what, I am still 24 at heart :wink:. If I didn't make the change now, I never would, wish I had done it a long time ago. I am not regretting it so far....???!?
I'm Natalie, finished my access course in July but decided to hold off til 2006 to apply. I'm hoping to do English Lit or combine it with Creative Writing. (Depends on where I get in!)
Hi,

I am 26 and will be 27 when I return to university.

I did my first degree in Business Studies (97-01) and have been working in accounting related jobs since then.

Really bored of figurework and incomplete records ....... so I want to try and get into law ...... with all of its mind-numbing statues etc ......

Reason - wants to be a Solicitor - Think I must be mad

If I could be a cricket reporter/broadcaster I would be so happy ..... but getting into sports journalism seems harder than getting into a law degree!

Dunno where I'll end up whether it'll be

An undergrad degree or
A 2 Year Masters (Law Society approved) I hope and pray for this or
A 1 Year conversion course
Reply 49
hi, I'm 27, studying Law and Criminal Justice part-time while working full time, decided to do it as had good enough grades when I left school, just financially not viable and only now that I am in a position to do it, as have moved to an area where part-time study is offered within a reasonable distance of where I live.

Previous study is scottish highers/standard grades, A level Law and some credits of an HNC in Criminology as the course was a taster for it.

wanted to do law for a while, which is why I have chosen that. want to be a solicitor working for the CPS. Thankfully no kids at the mo or I would have a nervous breakdown!

That's me
Gail :biggrin:
Reply 50
Thought I had posted on here, but obviously not!!
Applying this yr at the age of 22 to Notts Trent, De Montford and Loughborough for textiles! This is my second attempt at UCAS as I made some bad choices when I was 18, but looking forward to uni now!
Reply 51
I am 24 (25 in 2 weeks) and am studying my A Levels part time at college...i am hoping to apply for Vet science in 2008.....i made some bad choices as a teenager (ie leaving school to be a waitress!!!! and am now trying to fulfil my lifelong ambition of being a vet!!
Reply 52
feel positively ancient now are there any "mature" students who are over 40 out there? I'm 41 and considering starting a BA in early childhood studies (2+2) in September. Been out of mainstream education for more years than I care to remember! Although as a secondary school library research centre manager I'm still sharing the education experience with students aged 11 - 18 - perhaps they keep me young?? ...not! I also have 4 children, my eldest is 18 and starting uni himself this September and my youngest is 3 and starts school in September! Giving up work will be a huge decision am I doing the right thing - only positive responses please!!! no only kidding any advice/warnings will be warmly received. anyone out there got advice for an "oldie" but a "newbie"!! :eek:
Reply 53
I have a friend in our 3rd year who's 50.
Reply 54
Hi i'm 27 and i am half way through a health and science course, i have applied to UWE, i am hoping to become a nurse and then go in to child welfare.
Reply 55
I'm 22 - 23 in April.

As I said in another thread, I am very glad to have found this site!! I'm very glad to see the amount of people around 22/23.

Ia m a litrle worried about the whole access course thing though..

I have 10+ gcse's A-C from 1999 - and have only done a 30 pointer from the OU since. I have applied for sports nutrition, since I have taken an interested in nutrition I have reducded from 16'10 stone to 11'5 and have done the great south run, and the marathon this year - I'm hoping this might give me an edge....!
Reply 56
I'm classed as "mature", but I'm only 24 (sometimes I feel far older though). I'm currently doing an Access to H.E in English Literature, Sociology and Psychology.

I came back to education because I well and truly mucked up my GCSE's and have been kicking myself over it ever since. I also didn't want to end up working in a dead-end factory job my entire life like every other member of my family.

The only GCSE I admit to having is my B in English, as I refuse to believe that grades D or below actually exist (or I view them as so worthless that they may as well be). I also have a pass grade in an intermediate GNVQ art & design (the teenage me was not only stupidly self-conscious, but lazy to boot *shakes a fist at past me* I had to work through an entire summer holiday to put in enough work to finish my GNVQ for that pass and believe me, at the age of 16/17 you don't forget a thing like that!)

I've applied to do Japanese Studies in sept 06 [editted] and SOAS have given me a conditional offer. So as long as I pass my course I'm off to London in September. Yay! :biggrin:

So anyway, that sums me up in a nutshell... Or a small novel :biggrin:
Reply 57
Hey,

I'm another mature student (31) studying Perfroming Arts.
Previously worked as a counsellor, but decided a change of direction was needed and thought that this degree would be fun, which so far it is!
I'm still working part time, but really want to focus on my studies as much as possible.
Nice to 'meet' you all.
Reply 58
Hi, I am 23 and have applied to do Master of Pharmacy degree. I have worked in a Pharmacy for 7 years and decided it was the next step to take. Thought about doing a levels and uni at 16 but was far more interested in having fun and boys!!!!! Still am interested in the male population but have decided that career must come first at least until I find a nice male!!!!!:wink: :wink:
Hey, I'm Liam....I'm 26, doing an Access course (humanities and social sciences) and fast track A level Eng. Lit....want to do a literature degree and then teaching maybe???? Went travelling and didn't want to back to some office job so he i am....

Quick Reply

Latest