The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, I'm Lauren, 21, due to attend Access to Humanities and Social Sciences at Central Bedfordshire College in September. I'm hoping to get into uni next year to do a BSc in Psychology. Looking forward to getting back into education :biggrin:
Reply 681
Hi All,

I am Aleks, (almost) 26 studying Access to HE at South Leicestershire College. Firm choice for Psychology with Sociology at the Uni of Leicester, but unsure about 2012 start.
Hi, I'm 25, have been working in marketing since I left college 7 years ago with B/C Alevels... Looking to do degree level fashion this September full time in London. Left it quite late though so my application choices are limited! Ahh well.. HELLO! :biggrin:
Reply 683
I'm Mike, 22, have been on an apprenticeship for a utility company since finishing 6th form nearly 4 years ago (only seems like yesterday!).

Decided I want to learn new things, try something new and do something I genuinely want to do, so will hopefully be starting at York in September to study computer science.
Reply 684
Hi, I'm 25 and have a place to study Animal Welfare and Behaviour in September. Very excited but also very nervous about going back to education.
Reply 685
Hi,

I am 27. Entered University at age 23 (from the Netherlands) and graduated last year in the UK. I worked prior, during and currently and planning to apply for grad school preferably in France, though I am do not want to study for a 2 year Masters, rather 1 year.

Any other people my age who planning to study a Masters or Phd?
Reply 686
I'm 22, will be 23 soon, so I guess I'm concidered a mature student :smile: I applied to study BA English Language in Winchester (unconditional), Reading (conditional), Portsmouth (conditional), UWE Bristol (no reply yet) and English & Anthropology in Oxford Brookes (no reply yet).
I did my A-levels (or matriculation exam as it is called here) in 2009 and after that, after trying several times to get a place to study in my own country, decided to apply to study in Britain. I'm hoping it will turn out to be a great decicion :smile: I don't really know anyone in Britain so it's going to be a real challenge moving there and starting a new life!
Reply 687
I'm 17, studying Geography, French and Sociology at A2. Applied to University of East Anglia, Sussex, Essex and Portsmouth to study International Development - received all 5 conditionals!

I hope to work in developing countries when i'm older - perhaps create new projects etc. :smile:
Reply 688
Original post by Lottie18
I'm 17, studying Geography, French and Sociology at A2. Applied to University of East Anglia, Sussex, Essex and Portsmouth to study International Development - received all 5 conditionals!

I hope to work in developing countries when i'm older - perhaps create new projects etc. :smile:

@Lottie18

this is a discussion for Mature students. The last time I checked 17 was not considered to be an adult :P
Reply 689
Greetings and Salutations :smile:

I'm currently 27 (28 when I start uni). Studying HNC in Media Productions. As of today I have Firmed Westminster uni in BA (Hons) Contemporary Media and made Kingston uni my insurance for BA (Hons) Filmmaking. Ultimate goal is to write scripts and direct feature length films :wink:
Hi, I'm 42 so I guess that makes me mature, although some of my friends might disagree :wink:. I've been offered a place on the University of Derby's Psychology BSc (Hons) online programme. I left school in 1985, went to college to study a secretarial course and have worked as one ever since, eventually turning it into a business opportunity 9 years ago. I started doing some volunteering with the homeless which I love and that is what's made me decide on a career change and I want to work within mental health services when I've completed my studies.
Original post by annie1969
Hi, I'm 42 so I guess that makes me mature, although some of my friends might disagree :wink:. I've been offered a place on the University of Derby's Psychology BSc (Hons) online programme. I left school in 1985, went to college to study a secretarial course and have worked as one ever since, eventually turning it into a business opportunity 9 years ago. I started doing some volunteering with the homeless which I love and that is what's made me decide on a career change and I want to work within mental health services when I've completed my studies.

Hi Annie and everyone else!

I'm 43, so I guess that makes me even more mature lol :tongue:

I'll be 44 when I begin my combined social science access course (psychology, sociology and social anthropology) and will be 45 when I commence studying the same subjects as a combined honours degree. I've been working within the social care sector for a number of years, primarily with the single homeless and mental health. The goal is to be working with NGOs in developing countries with projects that provide care and support to street-children.

Original post by Lottie18

Even though you posted in the wrong thread, I just wanted to say: Great choice of degree and lovely career goal. Best of luck! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
It's great to see so many mature students in one place *feels right at home*

I'm 22 and studying an Access to HE Diploma in Law.
Will be 23 when I begin Uni in September!!

Applied for Law LLB at:
King's College London - Conditional (intend to Firm)
School of Oriental and African Studies - Conditional
University of Sussex - Awaiting Reply
Queen Mary, University of London - Awaiting Reply

Any Law, King's and/or SOAS students, get in touch!

Louise x
Reply 693
Hi everyone.

I'm pretty bad at this but I'll try to introduce myself because it will be rude otherwise. I'm 25 so I think I'm also on the mature side and I've been struggling with the UCAS site for the last few weeks trying to make my way with no results. I've not applied yet for anything but I'm going for History of Art because I like to study things with no apparent use, so that's it.

I havent made ANY decision yet about whic Uni should I choose, so I've got a long way to go and now I've discovered this site (yay for me) I also got plenty of reading material. Yes, I feel like I'm late for this applying process but still...

Btw sorry if my English sounds awkward, it's not (obviously) my mother tongue and I'm still working on it, as you can see. Please feel free to correct me (actually, please, yes, do it, thanks) or throw rocks at me or wathever.
Reply 694
hi

do you wish to give more info lol

what do you hope to do with your future etc
Reply 695
Original post by Sin City
hi

do you wish to give more info lol

what do you hope to do with your future etc

Yeah, sorry, yesterday was late and I was almost asleep when I wrote that.

So, the thing is, I want to apply for History of Art or any of its variations (you know, History of Art with this and that). I'm Spanish so I dont have any A-levels and that short of stuff, my grades are not brilliant but not terrible, something 6-7ish (I dont remember it now, and in Spain it's like we got some different kind of cualifications) so I'm not sure about the uni's standards.

So far I've made up a list with some Unis I'm interested with, and those are

* Oxford Brookes
* Leeds
* Leicester
* Aberystwyth
* Glasgow / Edinburgh

I dont really know if this is a good list or if I should go for some different unis, any advice?

I am really confused because this is so different of what I used to know back in the Spanish system (I started a degree there and studied it several years but went wrong, long story). I've got no one to ask around because I don't know anyone that is going to Uni and so, I got a friend who's on Oxford but it's a different thing because she's doing a PhD or something like that, so I think I will be asking stupid questions all the time, sorry.

So, for now, what I have read is that I have to start phoning some Unis and asking if they're still acepting aplications...I'm going to DIE, speaking through phone is still difficult for me :__D
Reply 696
Original post by Greyjoy
Yeah, sorry, yesterday was late and I was almost asleep when I wrote that.

So, the thing is, I want to apply for History of Art or any of its variations (you know, History of Art with this and that). I'm Spanish so I dont have any A-levels and that short of stuff, my grades are not brilliant but not terrible, something 6-7ish (I dont remember it now, and in Spain it's like we got some different kind of cualifications) so I'm not sure about the uni's standards.

So far I've made up a list with some Unis I'm interested with, and those are

* Oxford Brookes
* Leeds
* Leicester
* Aberystwyth
* Glasgow / Edinburgh

I dont really know if this is a good list or if I should go for some different unis, any advice?

I am really confused because this is so different of what I used to know back in the Spanish system (I started a degree there and studied it several years but went wrong, long story). I've got no one to ask around because I don't know anyone that is going to Uni and so, I got a friend who's on Oxford but it's a different thing because she's doing a PhD or something like that, so I think I will be asking stupid questions all the time, sorry.

So, for now, what I have read is that I have to start phoning some Unis and asking if they're still acepting aplications...I'm going to DIE, speaking through phone is still difficult for me :__D

you are applying for entry in sept/oct 2012? in that case, it's harder because most uni's have a cut off point of around Jan for applications

it's not impossible it's just harder and you would need to show more of a reason to have your application accepted this late

besides that

Did you do IB? if not, what exactly did you do? what's the name (spanish name will suffice) and what marks/subjects and how along ago was this

Why did you drop out? I know you said it's a long story but it'd be useful for me (anyone else reading) to know because the uni's you apply to will pick you up on it and we can help provide a better answer for you to give them

I'm asking a lot of questions because you need to be very very clear with what you want to study
Reply 697
Yeah I'm trying to apply for september 2012, I know it's extra-hard now because the deadlines are over and that, but I've seen it's still possible to apply so... there's still hope, or that's what I like to think! I guess I will need to have a good personal statement and hope for the best...Do I need to phone/email the universities before applying on UCAS?

About my previous studies, I didn't do a IB (not available where I used to live) so I did the regular Bachillerato (the Humanities one) everyone has to do. In Spain we got to two "grades", the ones you get on these Bachillerato which is a two-year course and then a exam regarding all you have learnt on this two years. Then, with the final grades of Bachillerato and that exam (Selectividad) you get and average and there you go, there's your final grade for applying. I don't know if here they will considerate this average or only my Bachillerato grades, which I can precisely remember but where more or less (all of them over 10)

English: 9 or 10, cant remember
History of Art: 7,5
Linguistic & Literature : 7
History: 6,5
Philosophy: 6
Latin: 5
Ancient Greek:5

I know here you have different kind of exams, the A levels, and apparently you get like three marks that the unis take in consideration. God, this is so confusing, but I think they will be looking at the average or something and that's it. Btw my average with the Selectividad exam was 6, something like a B.

This is going to be a humongous post, sorry.

And then, the one million question, why did I drop...Well, thing is I was studying something that wasn't bad but I wasn't really into it but well. At first things went right but then I started to feel tired and had to drop after because I was starting to feel bad about all of this. I know I did the wrong thing picking something I didn't really feel like but well, what's done it's done and there's no use on crying over it so...Now I trying to get back on my way before it's too late!

Again, thank you for helping, really! Thank you very much!
Hi everyone.

I have applied for a place at Leicester University on their CertHE Humanities and Arts. Just waiting to hear if I have a place which is really stressing me out.

I am 28, but will be 29 when the course starts.
Reply 699
Hey, welcome! I'm also new and I will apply for Leicester too, so tell us when you get to know something. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending