The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Hello! :hello:

I'm 35 and have a MA in Arabic and Islamic Studies, plus two vocational diplomas.

I've now applied for Forensic Anthropology course :excited:

Returning to education because not finding work in my previous study fields. I'm currently working, but after 10 years finding no chance to career advance, so feeling pretty discouraged. Have been thinking this for a long time and now uni became financially available :smile:
Hi there!

Im josh im 20, currently in the British Army, will be 22 when i leave and 23 when I apply for uni.
Looking to study Paramedic Science

Cheers!
Hi! I'm a mature student - 26 years old from Weybridge in Surrey. Just started home learning A Levels - Sociology and Psychology and hoping to take the exams May 2015. I'm really interested in criminology so would love to go on to do a criminology degree with Open University. I work full time so I have to home learn in my spare time.

Would love to hear from other's who are studying similar subjects :-)
Amy
Original post by freida20
Hi I'm Frieda and I'm 40 - I've been studying alongside full time work and family for the last 2 years but next year I am going to be a full time student (ITT) and am really worrying about the commitment and the impact on my children - not to mention our financial situation!
Any support and advice from fellow mature students would be much appreciated!

Hi Frieda,
I'm Sarah, 28yr old mother of three. All set to attend Brighton university to study Primary Education with QTS. I am too in the same boat...worrying if I've made a selfish decision, will I cope with studies, will my children cope? Will my finances stretch??? I am currently a TA at my children's school so they are used to having me home after school. It's really quite stressful isn't it?! However I have recently just gone through quite possibly the most stressful two weeks of my life...studying and sitting a double award science GCSE in physics, chemistry and biology and sitting the numeracy and literacy QTS tests....arghhhhh! We've both put so much in already...we can do it!
Reply 1104
Original post by s4rah8ella
Hi Frieda,
I'm Sarah, 28yr old mother of three. All set to attend Brighton university to study Primary Education with QTS. I am too in the same boat...worrying if I've made a selfish decision, will I cope with studies, will my children cope? Will my finances stretch??? I am currently a TA at my children's school so they are used to having me home after school. It's really quite stressful isn't it?! However I have recently just gone through quite possibly the most stressful two weeks of my life...studying and sitting a double award science GCSE in physics, chemistry and biology and sitting the numeracy and literacy QTS tests....arghhhhh! We've both put so much in already...we can do it!

Me too. I'm a single parent following my passion and going to uni in Sept. I keep trying to prepare my daughter by telling her mummy wont be able to afford lots of things like she used to and mummy may not always be around after school. I worry she won't cope. My parents are really supportive and I'm grateful but I worry I'm being selfish.
Original post by s4rah8ella
Hi Frieda,

oh wow - well done for surviving all of that!! how did you get on? I'm sure you did great! I did the combined science in June 12 and passed it - only now, 2 years later, to decide to do secondary instead - duh!

Think in the long term it will be so great for the kids. I work from home so am here for the children but due to my job am often not fully 100% focused on my kids! They don't seem to mind - but I do, plus I never have any holiday time so although I am here during the holidays we just can't afford for me to take time off or go away or do things that are appropriate for my children.
Good luck with every thing and keep in touch. I've started posting and reading the forums on the TES site now as well with the same user name so look out for me there!
Original post by Venn
Me too. I'm a single parent following my passion and going to uni in Sept. I keep trying to prepare my daughter by telling her mummy wont be able to afford lots of things like she used to and mummy may not always be around after school. I worry she won't cope. My parents are really supportive and I'm grateful but I worry I'm being selfish.

not being selfish - it may be hard but it will be worth it!
Maybe you me and s4rah8ella should start a parent support group!
Great to see others willing to take the leap of faith. I am just wrapping up my Access to HE Science course, then I go to Durham to study Physics. Life is way to short to spend a large part of it working in a job that doesn't make you as happy as you know you could be.

The short term sacrifices will definitely pay off, and your childrens long term happiness will be all the better for it. Good luck everyone.
Original post by Indismissable_Me
Great to see others willing to take the leap of faith. I am just wrapping up my Access to HE Science course, then I go to Durham to study Physics. Life is way to short to spend a large part of it working in a job that doesn't make you as happy as you know you could be.

The short term sacrifices will definitely pay off, and your childrens long term happiness will be all the better for it. Good luck everyone.

It's great to see prestigious universities like Durham accepting Access for hardcore science subjects. Hopefully, more will follow suit in the future. Good luck for next year.
Hi I'm 41 and father of 3. Starting BA (Hons) International Management at Teeside University in September.
Reply 1110
Original post by freida20
not being selfish - it may be hard but it will be worth it!
Maybe you me and s4rah8ella should start a parent support group!

May not be a bad idea !
I'm in x
Hey I'm Matt,

Felt pretty good getting a place at Northumbria Uni for Website Design & Development after an Access course in Computing as I wanted to start a career in something I'd enjoy, will be 25 when I start and now I just wanna go 4 months or so is to long :tongue:
Reply 1113
Original post by Shodann
Hey I'm Matt,

Felt pretty good getting a place at Northumbria Uni for Website Design & Development after an Access course in Computing as I wanted to start a career in something I'd enjoy, will be 25 when I start and now I just wanna go 4 months or so is to long :tongue:

Well done and good luck.

I know the feeling. I start Sept after having deferred my entry last year. Ha ha
Original post by Shodann
Hey I'm Matt,

Good luck Matt :smile:
Reply 1115
Hi
I have just finished my 2nd year in Health and Social Policy UG
I am 50
I have 3 children ranging ages 16-30
I have 5 grandchildren
I work for the NHS as a Phlebotomist
Started my degree as got all political and shouty in my old age, as fed up with the Coalition and all the poor-bashing, and all the other ****e that goes with the rabble in Downing street.
Becoming a bit of a Left Wing militant menopausal marching Freedom Fighter

Would love to work for my Union
Original post by pmw63
Hi
I have just finished my 2nd year in Health and Social Policy UG
I am 50
I have 3 children ranging ages 16-30
I have 5 grandchildren
I work for the NHS as a Phlebotomist
Started my degree as got all political and shouty in my old age, as fed up with the Coalition and all the poor-bashing, and all the other ****e that goes with the rabble in Downing street.
Becoming a bit of a Left Wing militant menopausal marching Freedom Fighter

Would love to work for my Union

Good on you. And nice rant!
Reply 1117
Hello

I will be 29 this July. I have been working as an airline pilot within two years of completing A levels.So basically have 8 years of flying experience.
Did a years worth of Aviation Management course recently.

Applied for Law and got unconditional offers from Queens Belfast, Lancaster, Leicester, York offered Criminology and waiting for Durhams Law with Foundation.

Looking for a new perspective and ability to think critically!
Hi I'm 26 and an electrician

hoping to do a access course in Heath care with my English gcse again

hoping to become an ODP

will see how things go. Cheers
Original post by Manatee
Hi,

I'm 29 (not for long, sadly) and have just started an undergraduate degree in Ancient History and Egyptology at UCL.

A bit about my background: I got a degree in modern languages, then converted to law and spent a few years working as a solicitor before deciding to return to intellectual fulfillment and student poverty :smile:. Egyptology is something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.

Hi! This is super nice!

Quick Reply