The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

35, have offers for primary teaching at Brighton and Chichester. I have 2 children, a two year old and an almost 18 year old (who is also going to Chichester uni this year!). Just coming to the bed of my access course, can't wait for September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 35. Didn't get a place on the course I wanted this year - I live in south devon and only have 1 choice of course and didn't even get an interview. Feeling v sorry for myself currently!! I have 4 children under 8 and am desperately trying to study for my as level biology exam on thursday and its a bit tricky with the 3 year old screaming at me. So lovely to see older people starting courses.... I am feeling a bit panicky about time ticking away....... Anyway Hi!!
Hi All!

I'm 45 and have a place at Wolves/BMET. Oddly enough, a place I used to teach chemistry and forensics at:colondollar: so thats gonna be interesting!!!
Reply 1263
20, starting access in September at Chichester!
Will be 38 when I start my undergrad in September and delighted to see so many of my generation on here taking the same leap, makes me feel a little saner...just! Still a toss up between English with Psychology or Advertising with Psychology, got to decide by next week and I'm stumped. English has always been my first love but it's a 2hr daily commute each way, advertising only 1 hour each way. Any advise will be very welcome!!!
Original post by RFTS123
Will be 38 when I start my undergrad in September and delighted to see so many of my generation on here taking the same leap, makes me feel a little saner...just! Still a toss up between English with Psychology or Advertising with Psychology, got to decide by next week and I'm stumped. English has always been my first love but it's a 2hr daily commute each way, advertising only 1 hour each way. Any advise will be very welcome!!!

I commute about one and a half hours each way every day - and it's really hard to make enough time for studying (though I have other responsibilities too). I haven't taken a single day off (not even Christmas day) since I began last September. However, as I'm studying a science subject, I have 20 hours contact time per week. With English and Psychology, I would guess that you will spend much less time in lectures, etc, and that could make all the difference. In your situation, I would try to get an idea of what the timetable will be like. If you can mostly avoid rush hour traffic and don't have to be in every day, it might be manageable.
Original post by RFTS123

I'm in the same boat. Got to decide by 4th June. Have rediscovered English and history! I've been offered all 5choices but I'm really thinking of staying close to home as don't think I could deal with the stress of travelling to Crewe. Still not sure though. It's hard isn't it?! Good luck x
Original post by EmSuds
I'm currently 19, so that doesn't make me mature yet.
However, when I start university, I will be 21.

I also hope to be studying Sociology at the University of Manchester.

Ah, competition. :biggrin: I'm nineteen also, but I'll be twenty one by September 2016 when I hope to go, so I just about qualify for mature student status.

I'm currently sutdying on a Pre-Access Social Sciences programme, so, providing I pass that and the accompanying GCSEs, I'll be entering an Access Social Sciences course come September.

After that, I have no idea. I'm torn between Psychology and Sociology. I'm still deciding on universities, but I'm interested in Warwick, Manchester (hello, awesome LGBTQIA+ scene!) and Liverpool. The Psychology degree at UCLAN looks ace, also!

And now I feel indecisive as hell, looking at how sorted out all you guys seem to be. :tongue:
21, starting graphic design at Brighton in september!
Original post by Esteta
27, pharmacy school at UEA!

did you do a-levels?
Original post by xxvine
did you do a-levels?

Hi,
No I did access.
41 next month - going to Cardiff Met to study dietetics (NHS funded)
22, gonna be starting English Literature with a Foundation Year at the University of Sheffield in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
22, just finished access course at new college Durham and waiting for results. Hopefully I'll be studying politics & criminology at university of Huddersfield.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
This thread is so inspirational, I wish I could just rep everyone that has posted.

Prsom everyone.

:h:
Original post by 08Mercyf
This thread is so inspirational, I wish I could just rep everyone that has posted.

Prsom everyone.

:h:

I know what you mean. Nice to know other people are just a crazy as me.

Original post by simondo93
I know what you mean. Nice to know other people are just a crazy as me.

Same here.
Same here.

So what are you going to study And which uni?

Original post by simondo93
So what are you going to study And which uni?

Tbh, I am not sure yet, but came across this thread and thought "you know what, it does not really matter as of yet and you don't have to go uni at 18 because you could always go later when you have made up your mind and feel ready"
Tbh, I am not sure yet, but came across this thread and thought "you know what, it does not really matter as of yet and you don't have to go uni at 18 because you could always go later when you have made up your mind"

Yeah there's a lot more options and opportunities but it's difficult. This year has been difficult and intense for me partly because there is no funding for access and I've been living of very little savings. I survived though.

Quick Reply