The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
kpcrispie
I was told they were not interested in my income. They were only interested in what my fella earned.
Kp.:smile:

Yeah if you have a partner and live with them i think they do assess u on their income too.
Reply 121
Hi all, not a student right this minute but will be come Feb - am going to enrol in the OU introduction to humanities module, in the hope that I'll find a direction to go in from it. Still not decided on what I want to do when I grow up, and I'm now 26. When I was a kid, I thought I'd have everything sorted by now, but life doesn't work like that at all.

I did go to uni when I left high school, I tried to study physics at Loughborough, and it didn't work out - I came away having tried to study the first year of the degree twice, with a total of 30 credits. At least I can use them with the OU!
Reply 122
Hi, I'm Ash :smile:.

I'm 22, looking to start a part time access course next year and enroll in university in 2009 aged 25.

I'm a bit unsure about student loans, what, if anything I would be entitled too as a mature student.

Would anyone possibly have any information or links to places I can find information? I've searched UCAS and various other places but student finance is a really confusing thing... I was going to say for a mature student, but I guess it is for anyone!

Hopefully get some good advice on here :smile:.

Hope you're all well.

Ash
Hi.
I'm 22, I'm a student back home in France, doing the equivalent of a MA in English at La Sorbonne. Not as good as it sounds, the Uni lives on its reputation. I passed my MA first years exams last June and they still have not sent me my grades, I can't matriculate for the 2nd year. Hate them.
I'm also a French assistant in Scottish schools (from nursery to secondary), so that's me out in the real world, and I like it so much I plan on taking a PGCE next year in Glasgow - hopefully I'll be taken on a course in Glasgow !
Reply 124
Hi

My name is Robert, located all the way in OZ. Have 2 units to complete in a Master of Internet Studies from Curtin University. I have completed the majority of it online. Area of interest is online education and I am 37 on Saturday.

Robert
Reply 125
I'm 29 years old. Applying for a BDS in Dentistry. Feel a little old to be applying for a 5 year degree, it seems strange to graduate at 35 and only be starting my career then.... but if i don't do it i will regret it for the rest of my life. I wish we weren't a society that's so age-ist. I fear studying with young freshers, i fear that i will have nothing in common with fellow classmates. But i'm inspired by some of your postings and i see that i'm not the only one, i know that some of you are even older than me, and thats humbling, perhaps i have no right to worry or complain. I just think about children also, and how one juggles both. But i think if you're a superwoman, nothing is impossible!
i think that my signature is enuff :wink:
Hi everyone,
I'm Beth, I'm 27 and I'm working as a veterinary nurse and studying for A levels in Biology and Chemistry in the evenings.
Hoping to apply for vet school 2008 entry :smile: .
Reply 128
yasmina
I'm 29 years old. Applying for a BDS in Dentistry. Feel a little old to be applying for a 5 year degree, it seems strange to graduate at 35 and only be starting my career then.... but if i don't do it i will regret it for the rest of my life. I wish we weren't a society that's so age-ist. I fear studying with young freshers, i fear that i will have nothing in common with fellow classmates. But i'm inspired by some of your postings and i see that i'm not the only one, i know that some of you are even older than me, and thats humbling, perhaps i have no right to worry or complain. I just think about children also, and how one juggles both. But i think if you're a superwoman, nothing is impossible!

I can almost promise you that you will not be the oldest on your course by any stretch of the imagination...

I have 'mature' friends both on my course and on our sister dentalism course, some with kids, who manage just fine...

Good luck!
Reply 129
Fluffy
I can almost promise you that you will not be the oldest on your course by any stretch of the imagination...

I have 'mature' friends both on my course and on our sister dentalism course, some with kids, who manage just fine...

Good luck!

Thanks Fluffy. Good to hear. Wish I knew that a few years ago. But .. no regrets. Knock on wood, this will be the 2nd time I apply, lets hope its 2nd time lucky! I'm just itching to get started!!!! Its wonderful to feel genuinely motivated by the prospect of a career you choose. I feel positive and more confident than I have in a long time.
Howdy.. not much to say about me really. I'm currently at LSE and finding my feet.. there don't seem to be many mature students there (I haven't seen any yet) but the young'uns are mostly good fun, although there are some fuddy duddies too :wink:
Reply 131
Im 23 - applied to study Speech and Language Therapy at Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan Universities - 2007 entry.

Currently studying Biology/Physiology Access at college, having already completed an Access in Health Studies and Psychology last year.

xx
hi im leanne 22 years old awaiting to start an access course at parklane college in leeds then hopefully to go to leeds met uni in 2008 to do computers
Reply 133
Hi - I'm 26, and have applied to do a Nursing Diploma at Northumbria University in 2007. I have my interview on Monday, and I'm terrified!
Reply 134
I'm Laaibah and i'm 22 in December. I'm on an Access to H.E course and i am applying to do Primary teaching / Biology with Education studies!

Prior to starting the course i had been out of education for about 2 years due to becoming unwell. Before that i was at MMU for awhile but left because i got ill.

Really enjoying my course at the mo, but i am struggling abit with all the essay writing.

Hope everyone is doing well in their studies and i wish you all the best of luck :smile:

xx
Bonjour, I'm G, I'm 29 and I'm applying to various establishments as an independent candidate (which is rubbish and scary) to do a degree in Criminology. I've already got a DipHE in nursing, which to be honest seems very baffling as I'm the least nursey person in the world, but since the NHS has gone to hell in a handcart I'm quitting.
Reply 136
Hi, I'm Katherine and I'm 25. I'm currently doing an Access to HE course in nursing/human sciences and plan to go on to do a degree in psychology once I've finished this. I was out of education for about 8 years before I did this course and I have to thank my daughter for being where I am now because after having her a couple of years ago it gave me the clarity and push that I needed to really focus on what I wanted to do with my life.
Hello I'm Nat, I'm 23 (it's my birthday today - sorry I just had to mention that for the sake of being an attention whore lol), I'm doing first year BA Classics at Leeds Uni. I'm mother to a beautiful 14 month old daughter, and I'm expecting my second in August 07. I'm going to be finishing this year, and then taking a year out, and then returning to second year uni in Sept 08.
Reply 138
Hi there,

I'm 25 currently doing a biological science access course in Belfast and applying for optometry even though on here I've been told it's the most boring job ever lol!
Howdy!

Who:
I'm a 30 year old bloke

What:
I'm starting a BSc in Logistics Management in April, it's based at Lincoln Uni but is a Distance Learning Degree.

Why:
I buggered about at school and left with very few good GCSE's (Apparently employers aren't that impressed with C grades in Biology and R.E. :rolleyes: . I've pulled my finger out since though and have completed NVQ levels 3 & 5 in management and I'm currently working as a logistics manager, now I need to do what I should have done 10 years ago and get myself a degree. I then hope to manage logistics for a large international company

I'd be interested to hear from others that are doing similar degrees or distance learning degrees......don't tell me they are very hard, heard that already several times:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending