The Student Room Group

How much can you bench press?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Consie
show me a 5 foot 8 person who hasnt been the gym that has the same strength as a 6 foot 4 person who hasnt been the gym, both of who same similar builds relative to their size.

Then after 3 months of going the gym 3 times a week without supplements, show me a 5 foot 8 person who is as strong as a 6 foot 4 person.

I'm working on the assuming that, given their similar builds, the 6 foot 4 person is going to have a proportionally larger frame and thus proportionally larger muscles.

An old friend of mine who was 5'4. He could lift, at the school gym (that place has an absolute joke of a free weight section but that's another thing) 2x more then my 6'5 friend. Both have similar frames.

That enough? Size doesn't equal strength for the last time. This is why Ronnie and Jay don't power lift. How about I inject synthol and go into powerlifting, because according to you I will do great.
Reply 41
Ah, ok, so based on your freakish friend, in fact all small people are as strong as all tall people.

I know muscle size isnt directly related to strength, but at the same time, muscle size does contribute to it and is an indication of it. I dont know many body builders who are stick thin.
Reply 42
Consie
Ah, ok, so based on your freakish friend, in fact all small people are as strong as all tall people.

I know muscle size isnt directly related to strength, but at the same time, muscle size does contribute to it and is an indication of it. I dont know many body builders who are stick thin.

That is true. But it is definitely only one of the factors associated with strength.
My freakish friend? You really know nothing of biology do you?
10 reps of 130kg
Reply 44
Hang on man, are you saying the size of a person has nothing to do with their strength? Your frame for starters generally puts limits on how strong and muscular you can get, unless you start using steriods.
Reply 45
synthol? :confused: thats like injecting diesel into your muscle. wtf is the point!!
Reply 46
Consie
Hang on man, are you saying the size of a person has nothing to do with their strength? Your frame for starters generally puts limits on how strong and muscular you can get, unless you start using steriods.

No I am not saying size has nothing to do with strength. Are you blind? Can you not read? I suggest you take a look back at my previous post.

And as for the one above, I used it as an example of mass not equating to strength in all instances.

Oh and you're making out sizes are bigger then they are. A few inches is different from, say, a 3 foot person to a 8 foot person.
Reply 47
And as for the one above, I used it as an example of mass not equating to strength in all instances.

Yes, I agree they're not causal, but they are closely related. Our disagreement appears to be over the closeness of their relation. And I'm right you whore.
Reply 48
Consie
Yes, I agree they're not causal, but they are closely related. Our disagreement appears to be over the closeness of their relation. And I'm right you whore.

Go read up on genetics, then we'll talk, whore.
Reply 49
Sithius
That is wrong on so many levels.

Just for starters, I'd like to point out muscle size doesn't equal muscle strength...

Well, of course it doesn't equal, I think what you meant was that if person A has larger muscles than person B, this doesn't imply person A is stronger than B.

Sithius
An old friend of mine who was 5'4. He could lift, at the school gym (that place has an absolute joke of a free weight section but that's another thing) 2x more then my 6'5 friend. Both have similar frames.
That enough?

He said show me a 5'8" person who hasn't been to the gym that is stronger than a 6'4" person. You didn't specify whether or not your 5'4" friend had been to the gym, so it's not enough.

I believe taller people are stronger than smaller people in general. Of course there will be exceptions.

Sithius
Size doesn't equal strength for the last time. This is why Ronnie and Jay don't power lift. How about I inject synthol and go into powerlifting, because according to you I will do great.

You're saying that Ronnie doesn't power lift because size doesn't equal strength. Ha, learn to argue, that's a totally invalid point. I don't think Ronnie powerlifts because he prefers to bodybuild.

If you don't think height is a factor in strength, consider this. Who would be able to lift more, a 3' man or a 9' man? Assuming they had both the same amount of strength training. Clearly it's the 9' man, the reason being that he has larger muscles than the 3' man. You may think this contradicts a point I made earlier but remember, I'm assuming these have had equal training.
Reply 50
*reads up*, ok, now what?
Reply 51
In fact, another thing to consider.

Considering the 3' person and the 9' person (clearly this is an extreme case but we can make it less extreme and the points are still valid, just to a lesser extent), which persons muscles do you think would have had to do more work over the years as they've grown up. I think it's safe to say that in general, taller people are heavier than smaller people and hence the taller person's muscles would have to work harder and hence become stronger.

Equivalently, if a 9' person shrunk to 6' but his muscles remained the same strength do you think he'd have an easier time moving, doing pull ups, climbing stairs, etc. I think so.

I hope I've persuaded you that taller people are stronger than smaller people, in general.
Angus-Higgins
I know this guy who is in my year (16 years old) who does 100kg.

I know a guy who is 15 and can do 115Kg! It is disguisting! He is a beast!

I can rep 50kg about 10 times. And repeat it thrice.
Reply 53
Nice... read up again then.

You too Tom. Why are you using such a stupid example. A few cm is completely different to meters difference.

You've perrsuaded me that a 3 foot person is weaker then a 9 foot person because that 3 foot person would a midget you fool. Actaually, the 9 foot person would die himself.

My small mate doesn't work out either.

Actually, may as well throw another example in. My 6'10 friend looks huge but my other friend who is average (5'10) lifts more then him. Neither work out.

I guess if a 6'2 guy came in to challenge cutler he would thrash him because he's taller. :wink:

Both go read up on genetics please.
Reply 54
A few cm is completely different to meters difference.

Why do people measure their muscles in inches or cm then? If it was so insignificant, wouldnt they measure them in feet? I see dudes orgasming in the gym becuase they've added half an inch to their biceps. If size meant **** all, why wud they care? These arent just thugs either, they're into it.

You seem a bit simple, so to lay it out: we both agree that muscle size and strength are related, so given a taller person (the hieght being indiciative of other things, such as having long limbs also - a 6'4 person will have longer arms and a 5'8 person) will have bigger muscles atached to their skeleton, asuming both have simiar builds, have never worked out, and have similar muscle size proportional to their height, the taller one (and thus the bigger one), will be stronger in the vast majority of cases.

Of course, there are other things like muscle density, what tpye of muscle it is, what fibres make up the muscle and in what proportion, but given we agree size is indicitive, to an exent, of strength, then the taller will in most cases be stronger.

You can fire off all the anecdotes you want, it doesnt conquer the blindingly obvious logic of what me and other people have said.
Reply 55
I smell lots of bull**** in this thread.

As for me, I bench the 38's for 8reps at the mo, could probably 1RM over 100kg but haven't tried in years.
Reply 56
Im 18, weigh 70kg, and bench (flat) 70kg, 10 reps, or 65kg on incline, which suprises me when i see people flat benching 80, but push 60 on incline. Its actually pretty bad for me, i should be doing much more by now, ( i was comfortably on 65kg at 16!) but been train on average 50mins a week. Just a few sets of wide grip pulls ups, bench, squat and deads mainly, but throw in something else now and then, e.g. weighted dips, or close grip bench, etc.
Im starting to get back into it now though, as i was when younger. My body fats about 10%, so gonna do some more cardio to get it really showin for summer:rolleyes:
Reply 57
Consie
Why do people measure their muscles in inches or cm then? If it was so insignificant, wouldnt they measure them in feet? I see dudes orgasming in the gym becuase they've added half an inch to their biceps. If size meant **** all, why wud they care? These arent just thugs either, they're into it.

You seem a bit simple, so to lay it out: we both agree that muscle size and strength are related, so given a taller person (the hieght being indiciative of other things, such as having long limbs also - a 6'4 person will have longer arms and a 5'8 person) will have bigger muscles atached to their skeleton, asuming both have simiar builds, have never worked out, and have similar muscle size proportional to their height, the taller one (and thus the bigger one), will be stronger in the vast majority of cases.

Of course, there are other things like muscle density, what tpye of muscle it is, what fibres make up the muscle and in what proportion, but given we agree size is indicitive, to an exent, of strength, then the taller will in most cases be stronger.

You can fire off all the anecdotes you want, it doesnt conquer the blindingly obvious logic of what me and other people have said.

Oh my.. how in gods name did you get A's?

I mean metres in terms of vertical height which is compeltely different. But keep going on and twist my words into your little delusion.

Taller in most cases won't be stronger anymore then a guy who is few inches shorter because their genetic coding for other parts of the equation of strength are to be variable!
Reply 58
Sithius
I guess if a 6'2 guy came in to challenge cutler he would thrash him because he's taller. :wink:

Did you not read what I posted

I believe taller people are stronger than smaller people in general. Of course there will be exceptions.

If we take two people with the same genetics in terms of their strength and have had the same level of strength training, do you not think that the taller person will be stronger than the smaller person?

Also, can you answer this for me:
From the set of all men who have never done any formal weight-training, two men are chosen at random. Man A is 6'4" where as Man B is 5'6". Which man do you think is most likely to the most (any exercise)?
Reply 59
K, so basically all other things being equal you will be stronger. Of course. But that isn't what the original discussion was about.

Your scenario doesn't say all their genes are the same... so you can't tell. My 5'4 mate would most likely beat a 6'2's arse.

Quick Reply

Latest