The Student Room Group

Trouble making friends at uni...

I know there are already like a million threads with posts like this but I need to vent about my experiences of whatever.

Basically I'm about seven weeks into uni and haven't really made any friends who I hang out with regularly. There are a few people who I talk to every now and again (and by that I mean once every couple of weeks) but that's it. I get along fine with my housemates but they all have their own friends who they go out with and I don't do much with them.

I'm a member of a society but I haven't really 'clicked' with anyone there, and the vast majority of the people in the group are second and third years who mostly talk to each other.

I'd like to be going out more but I don't have anyone to go out with (and am way too nervous to go out on my own), which makes it impossible to meet new people.

I'm not hugely adverse to being alone a lot of the time but the real problem I'm facing is where I'm going to live next year. Everyone else seems to be arranging to move in with their friends and finding places already but I have nobody to move in with and I don't really want to go back into halls.

Can anybody give any advice as to how to meet people? I feel like I'm stuck in a rut and because I don't have friends already it's become impossible for me to make friends.
Reply 1
join a sports club, that gives you common ground with other people. arrange to do something with your housemates. you have to be slightly aggressive and actively get yourself into conversations, and make things happen, for example in your society just go up to a group and get into the conversation etc. it can be hard at first but you have to push yourself and make it happen. you're at university to learn and get some new experiences, this is part of that learning curve and will help you later.
Reply 2
Go to your SU and find about other societies etc. I'm sure the students who work there will have ideas on where/how you can meet new friends :smile: Just go and have a word with someone who works there and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Reply 3
What about my living situation next year? It feels like I need to get something sorted out now but how can I avoid living in halls if I have nobody to move in with?
Reply 4
Original post by Hmminator
What about my living situation next year? It feels like I need to get something sorted out now but how can I avoid living in halls if I have nobody to move in with?

if you was at my uni
id move in with you
same situation :frown:
Reply 5
I have exactly the same situation, I go to lots of societies and talk to people on my course and stuff but they're really still acquaintances, not friends. I don't meet them out of uni. I'm a member of societies and am even the president of one but still, I just see them for soc stuff. I don't know how to bridge the gap into proper friends :sad:
ditto in the same situation :/, although i think it will get better so dont worry, weve started having friday as beer pong nights here where flatmates can invite whoever they like its a great way to mingle :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Hmminator

Same here, I'm hoping I can find a cheap flat or something to live in on my own, haha :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by xbethany
Same here, I'm hoping I can find a cheap flat or something to live in on my own, haha :smile:

There is still plenty of time to meet new friends and decide where to live next year. People will tell you that you must get something quickly but there will be many people looking for flatmates right through the year. Plug away at your one society and try to find another. It will pay off in time. Don't forget that those second years were first years last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending