The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering. Which university?

Hello,

I just recently applied to the following universities:

UCL: Mechanical Engineering (4 years) MEng
University of Manchester: Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Experience (5 years) MEng
University of Sheffield: Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Management (4 years) MEng
Queen Mary University of London: Mechanical Engineering (4 years) MEng
Brunel University: Mechanical Engineering with Automotive Design (4 years) MEng

I would particularly be interested in pursuing a career in the motorsport industry and becoming an F1 engineer. However, knowing that it is a risky path I decided to choose a broader engineering field that would still enable me to keep some relation to what I want to do while staying safe.

I did some research and found that, in accordance with my grades, these universities were within reach.

The question is simple, which one to I choose?

Please help! Thank you!
Reply 1
I've applied to Manchester, UCL and Oxford - in the unlikely event I get an offer from Oxford, I'll take it, obviously, but my heart's at Manchester (got the offer!).
Probably going to just ignore UCL now, unless they beat Manchester's offer, which is even more unlikely.
Reply 2
might be worth mentioning that Manchester allows participation in Formula Student from first year (UCL mentioned they were looking into this, but as far as I know, it's still third year onward).
Reply 3
I visited Manchester two weeks ago and I really loved the city, although I wasn't a fan of London. I was already going towards Manchester beforehand due to their ranking in engineering but the reputation of UCL is still pretty attractive...

The formula student info might make the difference though..

When did you send your application to get a Manchester offer already? (if you don't mind me asking)
Reply 4
Original post by valentinpsg94
I visited Manchester two weeks ago and I really loved the city, although I wasn't a fan of London. I was already going towards Manchester beforehand due to their ranking in engineering but the reputation of UCL is still pretty attractive...

When did you send your application to get a Manchester offer already? (if you don't mind me asking)

Manchester gave out offers pretty fast (well for me). I got an offer from them (last year) within a week, but lord my UCL's offer beat Manchester's! :biggrin:
If UCL doesn't allow first or second year students to participate in Formula Student then forge them. That'll be hugely important if you want to apply to F1.
Reply 6
Alright first offer came in today: Brunel University with a 14 average and 13.5 in math and physics. (I'm doing the French baccalaureate). Not bad but was hoping for a lower one..
Reply 7
Original post by valentinpsg94

Application was with UCAS at around 13th October, give or take a day.
Received offer on the 27th October.

Quick Reply

Latest