The Student Room Group

Sandwich Course or not?

I was wondering whether a placement year/sandwich course is a lot more valuable than going to a Uni that is higher up in the tables for the course and in general. I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham and Sussex as they both do placement years, however they are both lower down in the tables than Leicester and not as good, as I've heard Leicester is pretty good for business management. So I was wondering if any of you guys had opinions on whether doing a placement year was more important than a "better" university :smile:
Reply 1
Speaking generally, a degree from Birmingham will be looked at very similarly to the same degree from Leicester so I wouldn't bother worrying about that. Course wise, the main thing you need to take into consideration is the content itself - which one do you think you'll enjoy the most/take you where you want to go?

Answering your sandwich year question, I would really stress that they seem to be becoming more and more valuable. This is only based on a few people I know who have graduated and can't find work due to not having experience (people from decent universities too). Doing a sandwich year can guarantee you a job at the end of your degree, and in the grand scheme of things an extra year while your at uni really isn't worth worrying about.

So to wrap it up:

I wouldn't worry about the rep of Birmingham/Leicester
Do worry about the course content
If possible, do a sandwich course!
Reply 2
Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending