The Student Room Group

Should i leave university?

Hello, Im a first year student studying religion, philosophy and ethics at Gloucestershire. I took the course because it looked brilliant and sounded very interesting, but i found it boring and difficult and became more disillusioned with the course and the amount of money involved in actually going to university. I do get the full chunk of the student loan but the large majority of it goes towards my rent, leaving me with a strict budget that leaves room for little else other then food of which is getting very low. I dont have an overdraft as no bank will let me have one so i have nothing to fall back on, nor can my family help me. Finances are a big part in my thoughts for leaving as it is just too expensive. Socially i am also prett isolated as although i have met people through sports, i have yet to meet anyone, even amongst my housemates who i can truly get along with. These things have made me want to leave, but th fact i already owe some of the student loan just makes me want to carry on with the degree so that i have something to show for the money i owe rather then just being an 18 year old with just ovr £2000 oweing.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated, on whether i should leave or should stay and carry on or any other options i have
Do you have a job? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by Dhutton
Hello, Im a first year student studying religion, philosophy and ethics at Gloucestershire. I took the course because it looked brilliant and sounded very interesting, but i found it boring and difficult and became more disillusioned with the course and the amount of money involved in actually going to university. I do get the full chunk of the student loan but the large majority of it goes towards my rent, leaving me with a strict budget that leaves room for little else other then food of which is getting very low. I dont have an overdraft as no bank will let me have one so i have nothing to fall back on, nor can my family help me. Finances are a big part in my thoughts for leaving as it is just too expensive. Socially i am also prett isolated as although i have met people through sports, i have yet to meet anyone, even amongst my housemates who i can truly get along with. These things have made me want to leave, but th fact i already owe some of the student loan just makes me want to carry on with the degree so that i have something to show for the money i owe rather then just being an 18 year old with just ovr £2000 oweing.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated, on whether i should leave or should stay and carry on or any other options i have

Simple answer: I would leave. However, that is what I would do, not necessarily the best choice for you.
If your financial situation is that bad then I would say there is little point wasting money on a course that you do not enjoy nor are interested in. If I was you I would leave, spend a few years working and then go back when you feel you can financially sustain yourself.
This has made me panic about how I will afford uni :frown: I don't have any savings, so tbh I can imagine me being int he same situation as you next year regarding money, but I would stick it out :smile: That's just me though, if you think you wont do well then leave, if you think you will get a good degree out fo it then stick it out :smile: The money will be paid back in no time once you get a job :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, maybe not the best advice but here goes.....

Why not leave and go home? Work, sign on or something until next year. Look at other Uni courses and apply there. But apply to a Uni close to home. That way, if you don't make so many friends, you'll still have your mates at home as well as your family. And it's cheaper. That's what I'm doing. There are advantages & disadvantages to both living away from and staying at home, so it's your choice.

Hope things work out for you. Please don't be put off from Uni because of the costs though. And to the person who out about the job: it's not that easy to just get a job! Especially if you live away from home and don't know the areas. :/ Perhaps try a supermarket though, especially with Christmas jobs, although they may have gone by now. x
Reply 6
don't think about it short term-ly, but long term-ly. if finances is your trouble then you should get EMA or get a job that pays well. try to your housemates - they are also there to make friends and to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending