The Student Room Group

What's your university story?!

Scroll to see replies

I hated school at the time of A-levels. Never did any work and didn't care. I really wanted to study veterinary medicine but just couldn't seem to get the motivation to study. Got BCDD for AS and about 4 weeks from A2 time realised I could very well fail. Had 17 exams to do (including all the retakes) which was rather overwhelming but I did a bit of work and ended up with BBBb. Took a year out and applied for biomedical science, knowing that forcing myself to go back and retake just wouldn't work out. Went and studied biomed and had a pretty good time. Actually matured and did some work. Ended up with a 2:1 which enabled me to do what I really wanted in the first place, vet med.
Although it is the hard way round I think I needed the extra time to sort my head out. Not everyone needs to follow the straight path. You can get to the same destination by taking more interesting scenic routes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
I've always loved school, and learning, and grew up a family that really emphasised both and wanted me to do the best - the 'best' being what they defined, of course. I don't think it damaged me, personally - if any of your students are feeling stressed or pressured by their parents, I would advise them to let it all blow over - you end up finding out what you like after a few years and eventually they come to accept it. I wanted to be a doctor until halfway through last year, because I felt that's what would make my parents proud, but kind of slid naturally into law instead. It suits my personality far better. And my parents have come around - even offering to pay for me to study internationally so I can get a better footing where I want to go.

I'm sorry I can't give an A-Level equivalent to my grades - they're very good, due to hard work and a bit of talent. My school helped a lot too - having a good relationship with teachers is necessary, imo, to do well, and I've had a lot of mentors over the years.
Reply 22
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by CMel
I am providing a session to a small group of year 11 students on obstacles of going to uni. The aim is to show that all different kinds of people from different backgrounds, with different circumstances and difficulties faced go to university! There isn't just one "kind" of person who goes to university. The hope is that they then will realise they have the potentail too! (fingers crossed).

It would be brilliant if anyone would be willing to just write a few lines about their journey to university, such as a few details about themselves, what they are studying, any difficulties, whether they did alevels or vocational courses, took gap year etc!
What ever you feel is relevant!

So if there are any good samaritans out there who would like to help me out, I thank you very much in advance! :smile:

I grew up in poverty (including periods of homelessness) with my mother, who has problems (though despite this she was academically very encouraging). I left school at 12/13, didn't learn much for the next couple of years, then decided to teach myself and quickly realised I wanted to study English literature for the rest of my life. I schooled myself through a couple of A-levels, got an early place at Oxford at sixteen (my exceptional circumstances helped there), turned it down and went to Hull at seventeen, where we were living, because of my mother's problems. Got a First, went to Oxford for a Master's, and am now nearly finished my PhD. Voila :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
My AS grades were average, but I really wanted to go Nottingham Uni. To do that I needed to be predicted AAB. One of those A's had to be in a subject which I had got a D in at AS.

Unsurprisingly my teacher's were very reluctant to predict me the three A's I would need to stand out. However, having convinced them I then sent in my application. I had a good extra-curricular background and I reckon my personal statement must have been awesome as I got all five of my Russell Group Unis. Anyway, I resat all of my AS exams, worked solidly (never have I worked that hard in my life) and came out with the grades that I needed.

I'm at Notts now :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by the_alba

Original post by the_alba
I grew up in poverty (including periods of homelessness) with my mother, who has problems (though despite this she was academically very encouraging). I left school at 12/13, didn't learn much for the next couple of years, then decided to teach myself and quickly realised I wanted to study English literature for the rest of my life. I schooled myself through a couple of A-levels, got an early place at Oxford at sixteen (my exceptional circumstances helped there), turned it down and went to Hull at seventeen, where we were living, because of my mother's problems. Got a First, went to Oxford for a Master's, and am now nearly finished my PhD. Voila :smile:

thank you so much for posting Viola :smile: That really is inspiring - both your story and openess :smile:
Reply 26
I was born with hydrocephalus, a serious neurological disability and a visual impairment. As a consequence, it was believed that I would have to attend a special school. In the event, I was able to attend a mainstream school, achieve good GCSEs and A-levels and am now a final year student at University studying for a degree in English Literature. I am now completing the application process to work The Salvation Army and hope to embark on postgraduate study in the future too.
Reply 27
Original post by CMel
thank you so much for posting Viola :smile: That really is inspiring - both your story and openess :smile:

No problem. (Though my name isn't Voila - I meant it as in ta-da, or there you have it) :smile:
Original post by CMel
I am providing a session to a small group of year 11 students on obstacles of going to uni. The aim is to show that all different kinds of people from different backgrounds, with different circumstances and difficulties faced go to university! There isn't just one "kind" of person who goes to university. The hope is that they then will realise they have the potentail too! (fingers crossed).

It would be brilliant if anyone would be willing to just write a few lines about their journey to university, such as a few details about themselves, what they are studying, any difficulties, whether they did alevels or vocational courses, took gap year etc!
What ever you feel is relevant!

So if there are any good samaritans out there who would like to help me out, I thank you very much in advance! :smile:

I come from a working class background. Live with my mam and dad and younger sister. Niether parent went to university. I didn't go to a fantasic school and didnt do fab in my GCSE's but I did ok, also coming out with an AS in Science for Public Understanding.
My school didn't have a 6th form so i went to another schools 6th form. I took Maths, Physics, Biology and Drama at A level, did extreamely bad in Maths and Physics and not fantastic in Bio and Drama.
Was gonna take a gap year but that ended up not happening so last minute I applied for a Foundation Degree and got on it. I still live at home and I am now in my second year, I am planning on doing my top up year next year and going on to become a teacher.

Feel free to ask me anything I might have missed out that you need to know =]

x
Reply 29
Single parent family. Never wanted to go to uni, so left school as I was bullied straight for all of it, and started college doing IT. Dropped out as it was a new course, wasn't challenging enough for me and did an apprenticeship as I planned to go straight into work.

Despite the bullying and my mental state, I still got 11 GCSE's, all A-C. I was quite impressed :P

However, after getting my mental state sorted (and diagnosed, which took 7 years, and explains a lot of why I never wanted to go to uni and believed I couldn't do anything worthwhile), I decided that I would give uni a chance. I applied to Middlesex and got an unconditional offer.

So now I am working on getting myself 100% better, and I have a part time job to save up money for uni.

Hope this helps, a little bit :]
(edited 13 years ago)
Fairly standard family - mum, dad, sister - parents have solid service jobs but nobody in my entire family had ever been in higher education; I'm the first and will be for a little while longer I think. Very laid back attitude really to it!
Usual primary school, luckily managed to do well in the 11+ so got into a really good grammar school and there it's just assumed everyone'll go to university really! Took me ages to know what to study - I never really loved any subjects - chose GCSEs, Alevels based on the subjects I hated the least! Everyone seemed to know from really early on and it was a little scary. But it just sort of clicks eventually - I worried and worried but I've been here for 2 months now and love the course, so...

Everybody's got their own path and what works for some people won't for others, so no panicing!
I come from a very working class backbround. My parents business went bankrupt when I was 2 and we've been on benefits ever since. Moving around constantly (around twice a year) We've come very close to being classified as homeless a few times and they're currently living in a flat above a chinese restaurant. My older sisters weren't the greatest of role models they both left home at 16 one got pregnant and the other just piled up debt.
I had a medical condition till year 7 that severely effected my school life socially. I eventually overcame this and worked my behind off and got good GCSEs. Got awful grades at as (ddcc) but after some resits and alot of hard work eventually came out with BCC Alevels And AC at ASlevels. I'm currently studying developmental and educational psychology at Northampton, have fitted in fine and I'm loving every minute :biggrin:

That do? :P
Reply 32
Hope this helps!
Grew up in a middle class family. Third generation of university goers... Moved around a lot. Finished high school in Scotland. Studied English, Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, french, Modern Studies. Always intended to study medicine, however one of my parents got very ill week before my exams and didn't do as well as I'd hoped (AABBBC). Ended up going to Strathclyde Uni at 17 to study speech and language Pathology (always wish I'd taken a gap year). Dropped out of University 2 months ago. Now applying for Learning disability nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending