The Student Room Group

Can someone please check this? (differentiation)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nuodai
It's all essentially the same thing. For the first one you pretty much already did it with this one; let y=tn(x)y=t_n(x), and then lny=tn1(x)lnx\ln y = t_{n-1}(x)\ln x. [Remember you just need to find a recursive formula in terms of tn,tn1,tn1t_n, t'_{n-1}, t_{n-1}; you don't need to expand all the way.] For the one with functions, you have to go a bit mental with the notation and it's all great fun, but then you can use it to differentiate things like (sinx)(cosx)(tanx)(cscx)(secx)cotx(\sin x)^{(\cos x)^{(\tan x)^{(\csc x)^{(\sec x)^{\cot x}}}}}.

[I had too much spare time in the summer before uni.]

Any good websites for this sort of thing please? And is it basically coming up with a formula to differentiate things with n powers? :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by Chemhistorian
Any good websites for this sort of thing please? And is it basically coming up with a formula to differentiate things with n powers? :biggrin:

You don't need anything more than A-level differentiation skills to do it.
Reply 22
Original post by nuodai
It's all essentially the same thing. For the first one you pretty much already did it with this one; let y=tn(x)y=t_n(x), and then lny=tn1(x)lnx\ln y = t_{n-1}(x)\ln x. [Remember you just need to find a recursive formula in terms of tn,tn1,tn1t_n, t'_{n-1}, t_{n-1}; you don't need to expand all the way.] For the one with functions, you have to go a bit mental with the notation and it's all great fun, but then you can use it to differentiate things like (sinx)(cosx)(tanx)(cscx)(secx)cotx(\sin x)^{(\cos x)^{(\tan x)^{(\csc x)^{(\sec x)^{\cot x}}}}}.

[I had too much spare time in the summer before uni.]

I just did that question now - I think I changed my system of notation about 6 or 7times before I was happy. I haven't really managed to find a compact way of expressing the end result though.

Quick Reply

Latest