The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i couldnt be bothered to read all the replies but i just thought id mention that rape alarms are only partly to attract attention...the real use (or so iv been taught) is to BLAST the thing in the guys ear, thats enough to perhapse loosen his grip or make him jerk away and give you the chance to claw his face or kick him were it hurts etc...

ps. rapists should be castrated...it makes me sick
Reply 21
bone-machine
rapists should be castrated...it makes me sick

agreed
Reply 22
try and get one of the keyring ones they are really good.
Reply 23
Helenia
But would be an illegal weapon.

Most people carry them around thoe, not for the intention of using it but it just gives you that psychological edge
Reply 24
I'd go with what people have said here then, go with "tiny keyring ones" if you can find 'em. The one my sister had was slightly chunkier and bigger and issued by the police, but perhaps they have evolved them. Anyway, I think it's great that you are considering your personal safety, so yes, do get one if it'll make you feel more secure.
Reply 25
zhivago
I'd go with what people have said here then, go with "tiny keyring ones" if you can find 'em. The one my sister had was slightly chunkier and bigger and issued by the police, but perhaps they have evolved them. Anyway, I think it's great that you are considering your personal safety, so yes, do get one if it'll make you feel more secure.

I dont personally understand how it would work,
i mean personally if i heard a loud noise at anytime i would just presume its a car alarm or something and think nomore of it,
then theres the trying to set the thing off which would be very hard if you already being attacked.
Screaming for help or anything like that still seems the best option in my opinion
Reply 26
Robber's ghost
I'm not really sure if personal alarms work that well. In my experience people tend to ignore alarms, especially in cities. It's just another background noise - whereas screaming isn't. Up to you though.

You can get these little high decibel dealies that are aimed to stop pickpockets. Not sure what they're called but they're pretty small and light.

The main idea with personal alarms is not to get peopel to assist you, but to shock / scare atackers so you can get away. A sudden loud siren going off could buy you enough time to leg it to the closest pub / restaurant. If someone is nearby and comes to assist you, considder that a bonus.
Reply 27
Jonatan
The main idea with personal alarms is not to get peopel to assist you, but to shock / scare atackers so you can get away. A sudden loud siren going off could buy you enough time to leg it to the closest pub / restaurant. If someone is nearby and comes to assist you, considder that a bonus.

A kick to the groin,
cheaper and more effective :p:
Reply 28
MNBStyle
I dont personally understand how it would work,
i mean personally if i heard a loud noise at anytime i would just presume its a car alarm or something and think nomore of it,
then theres the trying to set the thing off which would be very hard if you already being attacked.
Screaming for help or anything like that still seems the best option in my opinion

I walk home at night so I put the keyring on my finger so it would be really easy to pull the cord out if i got attacked. Drop the cord to the ground so they can't put it back in. Shove the alarm next to their ear to deafen them then slap them or whatever and run like hell.
Reply 29
viviki
I walk home at night so I put the keyring on my finger so it would be really easy to pull the cord out if i got attacked. Drop the cord to the ground so they can't put it back in. Shove the alarm next to their ear to deafen them then slap them or whatever and run like hell.

Clever smart girl i see,
but rather than a slap make it a kick to the goolies :wink:
Reply 30
The kneeing in the goolies is happening at the same time as the slap.
Reply 31
viviki

Oh multi tasking girl
Reply 32
TSR trains all its mods in the ancient art of goolie grabbing and knackers kneeing
Reply 33
deej2
TSR trains all its mods in the ancient art of goolie grabbing and knackers kneeing

Intresting
Reply 34
viviki
*will avoid meeting viviki on a dark night*

But really, if you think about it, how many of you would come running if you heard an alarm going off? You're probably more likely to just sit wherever you are, waiting for the damn thing to be switched off.

Out of curiosity, though, how loud IS a rape alarm, roughly? I remember seeing a TV advert for an "all-purpose" alarm which you'd stick on doors or windows to stop burglars and the like, but they also tried to pass it off as a rape alarm...while they only mentioned it the first time I saw the ad aired, they said that that particular alarm was 95 decibels or something, which is somewhere in between shouting (around 60 decibels, I believe) and a pneumatic drill (which, if I remember correctly, is about 120 decibels)...not exactly something I'd want to hear every time I opened my front door, but I could actually see it being used as a rape alarm.
Reply 35
My friends mum bought her one when she came to stay with me at uni. i think liverpool has a bad rep with people that dont know it! it was fairly small, about the size of an asthma inhaler, maybe a little bigger. and they are REALLY loud. its a horrible sound, so as someone said earlier, they would be good for just blasting in an attackers ear.
Reply 36
viviki
Shove the alarm next to their ear to deafen them

Thats what I was thinking :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending