The Student Room Group

AS options!

Hello,

Im thinking of taking english lit, modern history, french and classical civ (at the moment), i did not take a french gcse, but have been having a tutor outside of school and am taking an igcse as external candinate.

I know people will tell me not to do french as it will be too difficult, but i am willing to put in the work for it as the other 3 options I have achieved a*s in. If i take these four, i am undecided about a 5th choice (i will drop after first year). I'd like to do english or history at a top uni, and am thinking of:
- Philosophy
- Drama
- a science (although i don't enjoy it, i can do it)
- politics

Any advice on the french, or what to take and is classical civ worthwile?
Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Firstly, I would recommend contacting the college/sixth-form that you are planning to go to to see whether you'd be able to cope with the course. You need to think about whether the amount of extra work you might have to do will stop you enjoying the language anymore. How long have you been seeing a tutor for? And what kind of things have you learnt? :smile:

Secondly, I really see no need to take 5 AS levels. BUT, if you do decide to take a 5th, definitely don't pick a science if you don't enjoy it! I personally think philosophy would compliment your other choices.

Don't forget you can normally study languages as extras at university, and you could do a year abroad in France during your degree if your university agreed. I'm happy to help with any questions or problems that you have so don't hesitate to ask me anything :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by x_emmzy_x
Firstly, I would recommend contacting the college/sixth-form that you are planning to go to to see whether you'd be able to cope with the course. You need to think about whether the amount of extra work you might have to do will stop you enjoying the language anymore. How long have you been seeing a tutor for? And what kind of things have you learnt? :smile:

Secondly, I really see no need to take 5 AS levels. BUT, if you do decide to take a 5th, definitely don't pick a science if you don't enjoy it! I personally think philosophy would compliment your other choices.

Don't forget you can normally study languages as extras at university, and you could do a year abroad in France during your degree if your university agreed. I'm happy to help with any questions or problems that you have so don't hesitate to ask me anything :smile:

Thank you, i know this is ages ago but i forgot i made this thread.

Yeah i'm not sure about taking 5as, it's between maths and philosophy now - or just 4... only reason im thinking to do that is if I find the french too difficult and have to drop it.

I've been having a tutor since about late august, we're just covering the GCSE course really - i'm being entered for an IGCSE in may - Hoping to get at least a B, preferably an A.

What did you take for a level/how did you find it?

Thanks very much :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending