The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kingam
Lol im doing quite good aswell how many marks do you get, the only think i dont understand is group 7 elements

Hey man, what are you struggling with? I'll try and help you out.

Original post by vikash_02
Hey guys, im also doing this exam this Jan, got my mock next tuesday. I've done a few past papers and seem to be getting quite a high mark consistently so i'm quite confident with it. Definitions i think will be key and that's one thing i struggle on. if anyone needs help then u can PM me :smile:

Good on you mate! What marks have you been getting for the past papers?

Original post by YingYang
I've also got this unit in Jan. Doing well in revision, have a mock on Friday though.

I've found the first unit quite easy, only parts of module 2 I found a hardish to get used to i.e explaining Polar/Non-Polar and Intermolecular forces, as in the exams the questions on this are marked highly and the explanations needs to be exact :frown:. Quantitative chemistry is pretty straight forward for me; just applying a few formulas in the right order I find. What parts are other people finding hard/easy?

The only bits I'm a bit iffy on are periodic trends, which I shall go over today :/

Is everyone nearly prepared for this exam? :smile:
Reply 21
Done a specimen paper in class today. Are they purposely harder than actual exams? Two questions really threw me, compared to past papers it was quite hard.
Reply 22
I've found some of the specimen papers harder, but I think it's because they prepare you for the worst case scenario. :smile:

I sat a 2003 paper [old spec] last week and got 82% on it which I was pretty damn chuffed with :biggrin: I just really want to push that 82% up to around 90% in the real thing :lol: I think with hardcore revision over the Christmas Hols I can do that though :smile: [just must remember to revise for Biology and Maths also...]

Also, if you're finding some thins difficult I found that getting the old spec textbook really, really helped me understand things. It's just worded slightly differently or explained in more depth - I say ask your teacher if they have one floating about if there's something you don't quite get :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by thecdon
Hey man, what are you struggling with? I'll try and help you out.

The only bits I'm a bit iffy on are periodic trends, which I shall go over today :/

Is everyone nearly prepared for this exam? :smile:

last exam paper i did jan 10 i got 48/60 Quite good i messed up group 7 elements, im finding them extremley hard lol anyone else feel same
Reply 24
Original post by DoDoBeDo
I've found some of the specimen papers harder, but I think it's because they prepare you for the worst case scenario. :smile:

I sat a 2003 paper [old spec] last week and got 82% on it which I was pretty damn chuffed with :biggrin: I just really want to push that 82% up to around 90% in the real thing :lol: I think with hardcore revision over the Christmas Hols I can do that though :smile: [just must remember to revise for Biology and Maths also...]

Also, if you're finding some thins difficult I found that getting the old spec textbook really, really helped me understand things. It's just worded slightly differently or explained in more depth - I say ask your teacher if they have one floating about if there's something you don't quite get :smile:

Could you send me that paper you did if you dont mind
Reply 25
Original post by kingam
last exam paper i did jan 10 i got 48/60 Quite good i messed up group 7 elements, im finding them extremley hard lol anyone else feel same

Well done pal thats a good grade usually for Jan exams because of the Raw/UMS marking grading system 42-44/60 will be an A.
So if you push your marks up 3-4 you'll be in A* territory! Good job!
Reply 26
Original post by thecdon
Well done pal thats a good grade usually for Jan exams because of the Raw/UMS marking grading system 42-44/60 will be an A.
So if you push your marks up 3-4 you'll be in A* territory! Good job!

kk sorted you done any papers
Reply 27
Original post by kingam
kk sorted you done any papers

Yeah I did a couple and they've gone alright :smile:
hey guises

where are these specimen papers? Could somebody send me 1 or 7 please?
Reply 29
http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/viewpapers.php?dir=papers/AS-A%20Levels/Chemistry/Foundation%20Chemistry/

I think it was June 2003. But as I said those papers are the old syllabus so there's some stuff on them about Mass Spectrometry - but if you only answer the questions you've studied - I know the June 2003 paper is free of anything on mass spectrometry which is why the teacher chose it. :smile:

But all the old spec papers are on there which give you a bit more variety than the 3 or 4 what are on the OCR website :P
Reply 30
http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/viewpapers.php?dir=papers/AS-A%20Levels/Chemistry/Foundation%20Chemistry/

I think it was June 2003. But as I said those papers are the old syllabus so there's some stuff on them about Mass Spectrometry - but if you only answer the questions you've studied - I know the June 2003 paper is free of anything on mass spectrometry which is why the teacher chose it. :smile:

But all the old spec papers are on there which give you a bit more variety than the 3 or 4 what are on the OCR website :P

okay thanks help much appreciated.
Reply 31
Original post by kingam
Lol im doing quite good aswell how many marks do you get, the only think i dont understand is group 7 elements

Original post by thecdon

At the moment, my lowest mark has been 2 marks dropped so I'm ready for this one. Gone through the definitions and quite confident with them now. I did triple science last year so most of this stuff isn't new so I doing it all over again was boring in class but now doing the papers it seems a lot easier because i had done it before. :smile:
Hi, im also hopefully doing this paper in january. I have done some past papers but cant seem to find anymore is that because this spec is fairly new, the furthest back it goes is 2008? :s-smilie:
Reply 33
This new OCR spec only started in 2008 - but you can find the old papers on thepaperbank.co.uk :smile: It's the Foundation Chemistry and there's some stuff on Mass Spec but 95% of it is the same as Unit 1 :smile: They're the papers my teachers have been making us do, just ignoring 3 or 4 questions what aren't in the current Unit 1 Syllabus. :smile:

Or send me a PM and I'll upload them all & send to you with mark schemes :smile: I know the thepaperbank is evil for popups :smile:
Reply 34
Can more people please post in here?! It would be good to get some discussion going and see how everyone's getting on and help each other out if they need a hand :smile:

C'mon people let's get posting!
This new OCR spec only started in 2008 - but you can find the old papers on thepaperbank.co.uk :smile: It's the Foundation Chemistry and there's some stuff on Mass Spec but 95% of it is the same as Unit 1 :smile: They're the papers my teachers have been making us do, just ignoring 3 or 4 questions what aren't in the current Unit 1 Syllabus. :smile:

Or send me a PM and I'll upload them all & send to you with mark schemes :smile: I know the thepaperbank is evil for popups :smile:

Original post by Muggle#334025
Hi, im also hopefully doing this paper in january. I have done some past papers but cant seem to find anymore is that because this spec is fairly new, the furthest back it goes is 2008? :s-smilie:

Original post by vikash_02
At the moment, my lowest mark has been 2 marks dropped so I'm ready for this one. Gone through the definitions and quite confident with them now. I did triple science last year so most of this stuff isn't new so I doing it all over again was boring in class but now doing the papers it seems a lot easier because i had done it before. :smile:

Original post by kingam
okay thanks help much appreciated.

Original post by YingYang
Done a specimen paper in class today. Are they purposely harder than actual exams? Two questions really threw me, compared to past papers it was quite hard.
Original post by thecdon
Can more people please post in here?! It would be good to get some discussion going and see how everyone's getting on and help each other out if they need a hand :smile:

C'mon people let's get posting!

Hey. Just seen the thread

I really like this unit but I need to revise it if I'm going to do well. The work is piss easy but I've forgotten a lot of it. :/ My classmates are absolutely useless at chem. Once I've got a bit of my other revision out of the way I'm going to make my way through all my notes and textbook(s). I've got 6 exam in January so I'm getting the easy stuff out of the way as quick as I can.
Reply 36
Alright well, I got a high B in my mock, kinda annoyed with parts of it. I need to revise all of group 7 and 2 stuff AND molecular structures, really they are the only things I don't know much about.
Any guesses what definitions will come up? :/ hardest thing to revise is them for me
quickfire question for exam: Which transition metal is the most viscous when molten and why
Reply 38
Original post by KingofSpades
quickfire question for exam: Which transition metal is the most viscous when molten and why

We don't need to know this, transition metals are F325!

And at a guess, Hg?
Original post by thecdon
We don't need to know this, transition metals are F325!

And at a guess, Hg?

yeh I was just trying to **** someone up lol

does anybody know if there are any online resources from which I can print page upon page of practice calculations?

Latest

Trending

Trending