The Student Room Group

Have you sent off your UCAS?

Scroll to see replies

Thanks to my slacker of a tutor, mine has been delayed for quite some time. I finished my statement a fair long time ago. I've done my part. Finally going to get it sent off on Friday. Hmph. I just want the weight off my shoulders.
Reply 21
Original post by greenfly125
Sent mine off properly the other day! :biggrin:
I think if you get past like mid-december and you haven't applied, your getting into the scrag-ends list. It gives the impression to uni's that your un-organised, and stuff. They should give you equal consideration, but they often don't. And imagine trawling through that many applications and personal statements. They're gonna be less enthusiastic in January, and an outstanding personal statement in September, might not stand out as outstanding in January, after reading thousands of 'outstanding' statements beforehand.
Basically try to apply by December.

NO. What evidence do you have that they don't consider people equally?

And no it's not always down to lack of organisation; the applicant may only just have decided what subject they want to do, or a last minute change of heart, or they might not have had a chance to visit all of their unis until mid December, or maybe even their school have 700 other applicants they need to get through and they're at the end of the pile, meaning it's not sent off until Jan.

Also see my post above ^^ (no. 10)
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah it went on the 7th of September.
Original post by ily_em
NO. What evidence do you have that they don't consider people equally?

And no it's not always down to lack of organisation; the applicant may only just have decided what subject they want to do, or a last minute change of heart, or they might not have had a chance to visit all of their unis until mid December, or maybe even their school have 700 other applicants they need to get through and they're at the end of the pile, meaning it's not sent off until Jan.

Also see my post above ^^ (no. 10)

What evidence do you have that they do?
Unfortunately admissions tutors aren't the robots people think they are. Why do you think all the universities I have seen say to get your application in early?
I agree with the last point about a large sixth form/college, but all the rest lead to a dis-organised person, doing everything until the last minute.
Reply 24
Still waiting for my tosser of a tutor to send it off.
Reply 25
Yes but I know a lot of people who haven't. My tutor was telling me today, as I was stressing about getting offers and choosing unis, that some people haven't finished their personal statement and are no where near. Other people are having trouble getting their reference. And then it takes forever to go through the schools checking system. I'm glad I got mine off but loads of people haven't.
I started my personal statement last Monday, finished it on Tuesday, took it to my tutor and subject teachers on Wednesday and made any necessary changes, then I compiled my references with my tutor or Thursday and it was with UCAS by Friday. I must have a really good college, although I was pretty much camped outside my admissions tutors office for 5 days. But it's worth it!
Reply 27
Original post by Bex191
I still havent sent mine yet, I'm hoping it'll go in the next week or so.

I sent my form off late December last year and got 4 offers so I dont think it works on 'first come, first serve'. As long as it goes by the deadline in January it's all good.

not meaning to be rude, but if ou sent yours last year and got 4 offers, then why are you re-applying this year?? just curious :s-smilie:
Original post by vostrotm
not meaning to be rude, but if ou sent yours last year and got 4 offers, then why are you re-applying this year?? just curious :s-smilie:

They either didn't meet the entry requirements, dropped out, or just decided that they didn't want to go to university. :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by vostrotm

Didn't get the results I needed .. was a pretty bad year :frown:
Reply 30
NO. still waiting for reference, even though I've completed all the stuff 4 weeks ago! Teachers take the piss! :frown:
Reply 31
Ive just finished my personal statement and should be giving it in this friday with everything else, but the rest of my school was done late october. Im really worried that im to late, is it still ok to apply? am i going to be at a disadvantage? sorry if this is silly im just really worried.
Reply 32
Original post by Charlzz93
Ive just finished my personal statement and should be giving it in this friday with everything else, but the rest of my school was done late october. Im really worried that im to late, is it still ok to apply? am i going to be at a disadvantage? sorry if this is silly im just really worried.

As you can see from this thread, a lot of people are only just sending theirs off. The official deadline isn't til January 15. I think most people tend to take the view that you should just send it off as soon as it's ready. It is still ok to apply.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Unfortunately admissions tutors aren't the robots people think they are. Why do you think all the universities I have seen say to get your application in early?
I agree with the last point about a large sixth form/college, but all the rest lead to a dis-organised person, doing everything until the last minute.

The evidence that UCAS they'll be considered equally; that's more than you've got. Can I have a link to some unis saying that you need to get your application in early; I'd like to see that :smile:

And no they don't. Somebody's seen the deadline and thought well, "I'll do it by January 5th (eg) to make sure there is plenty of time if anything gores wrong". How is that disorganised?
Reply 34
I think it is accepted wisdom to apply asap - I can't help but feel that it does make you look more eager and excited about the subject, which is what they're looking for.

I know someone who decided last year at the last minute that he wanted to do Law and wrote and sent his application in January and still got 4 offers. He's now at Durham. It isn't the be all and end all.
Unfortunately admissions tutors aren't the robots people think they are. Why do you think all the universities I have seen say to get your application in early? I agree with the last point about a large sixth form/college, but all the rest lead to a dis-organised person, doing everything until the last minute.

Agreed. It's common sense to think you're going get an offer when there are 50 apps on the table- yours may stand out and you can get an offer, but come January- when there is 500 apps from people exactly like you, or better than you....it doesn't look so optimistic! It's naive to think that they're going to lock away all of the applications and not look at them until 15th January. St. Andrews even sent me a postcard saying it was their rule as a uni to not give out any offers- but there are some Economics, Anthropology and IR offers floating around on here.

Mine was sent off on the 20th October, I think- and I've got two offers already :smile: But I wouldn't worry about them running out of places, they always give out more than they have anyway, but I think it is best to get it in as early as possible. Even if they are they robots that gives everyone 'equal consideration', at least it will show you're punctual by sending an early app!
(edited 13 years ago)
Sent it off a month ago today and no offers...:frown:
Reply 37
Sent mine last week and my head of sixth form processed it the day after. :biggrin: Guess it's because I'm re-applying so my reference gets done faster. :smile:
Reply 38
Yep, sent it off a week ago today!
Not yet. I just got my exam results but im still waiting for my reference from my employer and the email from one of the university im applying to.
After that, im good to go. I'll send mine probably next week or the first week of December.
Im an International Student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending