The Student Room Group

Driving test today argh!!!!

Help, i'm feeling really nervous about my test today. I couldn't sleep last night after worrying about it and i've been awake since 3am and can't get back to sleep because i'm still worried and worked up over this. I'd really like to pass but I don't feel that I will. I'm worried about getting into the wrong lanes at roundabouts and also quite worried as to which manoeuvres they'll ask me to do. I'm not that good at the bay parking. The only one i'm confident about is the turn in the road / 3 point turn. I'm worried i'm going to have a strict instructor person. Help! :eek:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is possibly the most difficult to implement advice you'll ever receive: Be calm.

Lots of people fail because they were too nervous and made a mistake they wouldn't normally make.

If you're ready to take a test, you can drive. If you can drive you have nothing to worry about.

*deep breath* "I can drive"
Reply 2
Thanx for the advice, well what can i say, I took the test, driving was brilliant. Got 6 minors but then came up to a mini roundabout and i didn't see a stupid 206 turn right so i carried on forward and only saw it at the last minute so i broke really hard. That was my 1 serious fault. Had it not been for that stupid car i would have passed with only 6 minors!!!! I'm so gutted right now. I really wanted to start driving in the weekend!!! I've got another booked on the 24th November at 8.40am but apparently that might been cancelled because of fog in the morning. Thats the only cancellation they had when i called up. :frown: I'm so gutted!!!
Reply 3
Felt exaclty the same when I failed my first two tests (passed on my third attempt today!).

I think the test is largely down to luck (I know I drove better on the second test that the one I had today, but I still failed the second one!)

Keep at it, and i'm sure you'll be able to get a cancellation earlier than Nov 24th - just check the DSA a couple of times each day. Don't get demoralised, and keep at it - it's a fantastic feeling when you do eventually pass.
SyncMaster_770
Felt exaclty the same when I failed my first two tests (passed on my third attempt today!).

congratulations, i gave up learning when i went to uni and learning to drive now just seems like a chore that needs to be done rather than something i want, oh well thats life.

time for bed, ollie :biggrin:
Reply 5
Why thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 6
SyncMaster_770
it's a fantastic feeling when you do eventually pass.

Yup, it definitely is. I was absolutely delighted when I passed. My instructor said that he was looking as to whether he should come for the debriefing if I had failed, but he heard my scream (I don't reckon it was actually a scream) and didn't come. :smile:
Reply 7
I've spent most of today just driving around everywhere pointlessly, just for the novelty/fun of it! :biggrin:
Reply 8
How many lessons did you lot take before you could drive unaided or before you passed your practical? (bearing in mind that you were starting scratch from lesson 1)
Reply 9
It's taken me 40 lessons so far and I've failed 3 tests... my instructor came with me on my last one and said it's my nerves that take over my driving, so I guess it's a question of how to get over them... :confused:
*soph*
It's taken me 40 lessons so far and I've failed 3 tests... my instructor came with me on my last one and said it's my nerves that take over my driving, so I guess it's a question of how to get over them... :confused:

Just drive as you would - concentrate on the driving and to calm your nerves remember that it's only a test and the geeza sitting next to you is only there to oversee your driving. That doesn't mean you should be afraid of making mistakes; drivers are all human beings at the end of the day, so if you do make a mistake just chill out and deal with it in a calm manner - it shouldn't count as such a negative then.

All the best :smile:
Reply 11
Took me around 60 hours, but that was largely down to the fact that I couldn't get insured on my car until I passed, so in other words, I couldn't practice in the week with my parents.

I was nervous for my mock test and first real test, and I did terribly in them. After a few test though, you'll lose the nerves, gain in confidence, then you'll pass. :smile:
Reply 12
superstardj4eva
Thanx for the advice, well what can i say, I took the test, driving was brilliant. Got 6 minors but then came up to a mini roundabout and i didn't see a stupid 206 turn right so i carried on forward and only saw it at the last minute so i broke really hard. That was my 1 serious fault. Had it not been for that stupid car i would have passed with only 6 minors!!!! I'm so gutted right now. I really wanted to start driving in the weekend!!! I've got another booked on the 24th November at 8.40am but apparently that might been cancelled because of fog in the morning. Thats the only cancellation they had when i called up. :frown: I'm so gutted!!!

don't worry, you'll pass next time!
Reply 13
UPDATE: I've now got my 2nd test on the 30th November at 1.33pm. I'll be missing hockey at school to take the test, hopefully pass it and collect my car from my grandparents that afternoon :smile: Thanx everyone.
Reply 14
Cool. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 15
my sister passed 3rd time n she was a crap driver she said just pretend like your taking a mate for a ride and act as if you have already passed.. (if that made any sense :smile:)
Reply 16
superstardj4eva
UPDATE: I've now got my 2nd test on the 30th November at 1.33pm. I'll be missing hockey at school to take the test, hopefully pass it and collect my car from my grandparents that afternoon :smile: Thanx everyone.

hey, bad luck about ur drivin test.. btw is this jamie?? sorry this is SO random but saw u were from cov!! :smile:

u dint fail on the ricoh arena roundabout did u?? cos LOADS of my mates have failed there *thinkin i mite take the test in leamington/rugby!!*
Good luck mate. Just chill out, and try to drive totally normally. Don't try too hard, or you'll miss something really obvious. Just relax and keep safe - make sure the instructor feels comfortable - they'll let you off a LOT if you make them feel safe, so just try to act calm yourself. Worked for me first time!
Reply 18
jt0316
hey, bad luck about ur drivin test.. btw is this jamie?? sorry this is SO random but saw u were from cov!! :smile:

u dint fail on the ricoh arena roundabout did u?? cos LOADS of my mates have failed there *thinkin i mite take the test in leamington/rugby!!*

Hey Jane! I'm really suprised i'm chattin 2 u on here altho i've neva actually properly talked 2 u in person :wink: I'm not sure which Jamie u mean but ye i am Jamie from Cov lol, my parents own the chinese restaurant on ball hill? Hope this don't sound 2 weird 2 u. Nah i didn't fail on the Ricoh arena roundabout. I failed at the mini roundabout in bedworth town centre right outside the tesco. Its a right bummer of a roundabout, didn't see this 206 until the very last minute. I'm not 2 fond of 206s nemore bcoz of that incident. PM me sometime.
Laters
Reply 19
Rite guys, i've had my 2nd driving test at Coventry Bayton Road once again and guess what? I failed once again :mad: I am so p*ssed off, i thought I would have passed considering the first time went better than this time, had 3 serious and 6 minors. All the serious came from roundabouts being in the wrong lane and attempting to get into the lane and also exitting in the outside lane. I hated those two roundabouts you see. So now i've gone and booked my 3rd test at Nuneaton. I've lived there for about 3 years in my past and my grandparents live there so I guess I could drive around a couple of times there but I feel that its not as busy as Coventry and also the roads aren't as difficult as it is in Coventry. Next test in 16th January at 1.33pm.

Latest