The Student Room Group

Did your parents go to uni?

Poll

Did your parents go to uni?

A while back when I was at school our whole year was told that if you're parents went to university then you have got a higher chance of applying.

So, if you are applying/have applied/at uni etc, did your parents go to university?

~ I screwed up the poll >.<
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My dad did and my mum just graduated, so yes. I guess you could be right in that the idea of going to uni was instilled in me from a young age by my dad, so not going was never even a thought.
Reply 2
Nope they didn't, i'm the first in my family to go! :smile:
Reply 3
My mum didn't, but my dad did something (might have been chemistry) with the Open University, and then did an MSc at Salford.
Reply 4
Nope, neither of them did so it's a big deal to them that I'm here.
There's no option for me - not yet, but my father is looking into it and hopes to go in 2011 (I'll be in my last year.)

However, think I fall into the 'no, but I do' category because neither of them did at the time I was applying.
yep, think only 1 of my grandparents did though
Reply 7
My mother went to University at the age of 40. She's now a nurse :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
my parents both went to St Andrews, which is where they met...and I've actually applied there too, haha, but it's not my first choice...I don't know if my parents really had much to do with it, but I've always known I think that uni was for me...
Nope, I come from a proper working class family and will be the only one in my extended family, let alone immediate, to go to uni.
Reply 10
My mum did a masters and my dad is doing a PhD he'll probably never finish, but yes, they did.
Neither of my parents did. The only relative I know of who went to uni is my uncle, who went to where I am now (Loughborough). I can see his old hall from my window. :rolleyes:
Reply 12
No my parents didn't. My Dad did the equivalent of foundation GCSE's and my Mum dropped out half way through 6th form because she met my Dad. My older cousin hasn't gone either. I will be the first.
My generation (25 and under) in my family are the first to go to university. It wasn't even considered an option in previous generations of my family. I got the idea of university from the fact I wanted to further my education. I didn't want to just stop at Sixth Form/GCSEs.
(edited 13 years ago)
My parents didnt go. Im not either, i dont think.
No they didn't, and I'm at uni now.

The great thing is, they both have jobs that now require degrees for new entrants.. my Mum's a nurse and my Dad's a Radio Producer. Just shows how much times have changed!
Reply 16
They met at uni bless them. My grandparents also met at uni. I always assumed I'd go to uni also, I never considered another option.
Reply 17
Cambridge lol :frown:
My mum went for a term then left because she wanted to change course and they wouldn't let her. My dad didn't. My brother didn't. None of my cousins, aunts or uncles have or did. I'm special :h:
Reply 19
No, my mum didn't do very well in her A Levels and my dad did a HND, but when they left school it wasn't as common for people to go to uni as it is now. My aunt did though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending