The Student Room Group

Should I do A-Level Biology?

Right now I plan on doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology for AS. I'm in Year 11 now(as you've probably figured), and currently doing Additional Science GCSE- and I know, AS and GCSE are very different- but from what I've been reading on here, the mark scheme's tedious.
I like to think I'm above average when it comes to memorising information about subjects I'm interested in, however, after doing great on the Core Science biology modules, compared to how I'm doing on exam questions for Additional Science Biology(we weren't given the option to do three sciences) I'm starting to doubt I should take it.
I have no problem with remembering and understanding the content, it's just, I'm completely stumped as to how to apply it to the questions. My teacher said that I often miss the point, that the answers are too complicated for the numbers of marks and that I'd struggle answering all the questions in a 45 minute exam. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't being discouraging and said I'd probably be doing a lot better when January comes(when the exam is), but it doesn't seem like there's some universal formula for answering the questions.
It'd suck because I really enjoy Biology in general and have a lot of books that I read in my free time on zoology and stuff but obviously there's not much point taking it at A-Level if I'm going to come out with a poor grade(when I could learn the course content at home in my free time).
So should I take it? Or can you learn the mark schemes if you look at the past papers?
I was thinking if it's a bad idea to do Economics or Physics... Economics so that I'd have more options in the future and Physics because it seems really interesting. Economics also seems interesting too from what my ex tells me about it.
EMZ=]
EDIT: And before people say, 'Find out for yourself', I've looked at the modules and syllabus etc. and there doesn't seem to be nothing I'm not capable of understanding, and the quantity doesn't seem too bad(though to be fair, I've only read briefly on some parts), but since this is down to past papers, revision, exam techniques, etc. I'm sure you can respect it'd be a lot easier for me to just ask someone who's currently doing it, rather than spend 2-3 hours or so looking through past papers and mark schemes performing some meta-analysis or whatever which isn't very reliable, lmao.
(edited 13 years ago)
Take it and learn to answer the questions in the year you have to do it. It shouldn't be too hard.
I found that I always seemed to tip-toe carefully around the markscheme on the longer biology questions, but I got a good a2 grade in it. When I did GCSE science I'm sure they deliberately asked questions in confusing ways to make up for the fact that the content's not difficult enough.
Reply 3
An example of a question I was looking at for GCSE was something along the lines of, 'Explain why free-range chickens produce less eggs annually than caged chickens'(they didn't call them caged chickens, something else), and the answer was because caged chickens didn't lose/use energy in movement and therefore could produce more eggs.
It seems roughly around one in every six questions or so are like that. It just won't occur to me that the answer's that simple.
Do questions like that not come up at AS/A2, PlasterCaster(or Rob da Mop[or anyone reading the thread with free time])?
EMZ=]
Reply 4
*bump*
EMZ=]
It would be fair for a lot of your decision to be based around potential degree choices that you have in mind. Obviously, had you said medicine or biomedical sciences, then it might seem unnatural for you to consider taking an alternative to A Level Biology. Studying physics, chemistry and maths would give you a great many options in terms of science degrees and since you have suggested that physics would be enjoyable for you, it makes more sense to take that instead of worrying about biology. Of course, if your chosen degree path places emphasis on the latter, I am sure you could find the commitment to work on your exam technique.
Reply 6
Well I was thinking before on doing either a Computer Science degree or biology/chemistry related degree. Though really, I'd just like to keep my options as open as possible. The main reason I'd prefer biology is because it just seems there's more careers options than there would be if I took physics.
I suppose if the exams aren't so bad then I'll take biology.
In the past though I've had a lot of problems in various subjects were I've done poorly in exams compared to my performance in classes(this was the case for maths for a number of years).
I guess I'd just like to hear some people's experiences with biology AS papers, really.
Though I suppose it's not a major issue. If it turns out I do terribly I'll just drop it at A2 and pick up some other subject for AS, even if it's a hard workload.
EMZ=]
Reply 7
Original post by Emor
Well I was thinking before on doing either a Computer Science degree or biology/chemistry related degree. Though really, I'd just like to keep my options as open as possible. The main reason I'd prefer biology is because it just seems there's more careers options than there would be if I took physics.
I suppose if the exams aren't so bad then I'll take biology.
In the past though I've had a lot of problems in various subjects were I've done poorly in exams compared to my performance in classes(this was the case for maths for a number of years).
I guess I'd just like to hear some people's experiences with biology AS papers, really.
Though I suppose it's not a major issue. If it turns out I do terribly I'll just drop it at A2 and pick up some other subject for AS, even if it's a hard workload.
EMZ=]

In Biology we were taught to bullet point our answers as this helps you to organise your thoughts and make it easier for the examiner. It's usually one point per mark, so it helps you to put 4 concise points for a 4 mark question etc. I managed to get 97 UMS in my B3 exam that way and we're taught to do it at AS aswell.

It seems a bit wierd to be bullet pointing, but it's perfectly fine as long as the question doesn't specify that you use "good english and scientific terms" or something, which never happened in the exams for my examining board.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Silly Goose
In Biology we were taught to bullet point our answers as this helps you to organise your thoughts and make it easier for the examiner. It's usually one point per mark, so it helps you to put 4 concise points for a 4 mark question etc. I managed to get 97 UMS in my B3 exam that way and we're taught to do it at AS aswell.

It seems a bit wierd to be bullet pointing, but it's perfectly fine as long as the question doesn't specify that you use "good english and scientific terms" or something, which never happened in the exams for my examining board.

Thanks, I might try that on future practice questions. I don't know, maybe that's were I've been going wrong. In Chemistry I've been doing fine and just been doing a point per question >_<. It does seem sort of concerning though the way people frequently say on here that the mark scheme's tedious.
EMZ=]
Reply 9
Original post by Emor
Right now I plan on doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology for AS. I'm in Year 11 now(as you've probably figured), and currently doing Additional Science GCSE- and I know, AS and GCSE are very different- but from what I've been reading on here, the mark scheme's tedious.
I like to think I'm above average when it comes to memorising information about subjects I'm interested in, however, after doing great on the Core Science biology modules, compared to how I'm doing on exam questions for Additional Science Biology(we weren't given the option to do three sciences) I'm starting to doubt I should take it.
I have no problem with remembering and understanding the content, it's just, I'm completely stumped as to how to apply it to the questions. My teacher said that I often miss the point, that the answers are too complicated for the numbers of marks and that I'd struggle answering all the questions in a 45 minute exam. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't being discouraging and said I'd probably be doing a lot better when January comes(when the exam is), but it doesn't seem like there's some universal formula for answering the questions.
It'd suck because I really enjoy Biology in general and have a lot of books that I read in my free time on zoology and stuff but obviously there's not much point taking it at A-Level if I'm going to come out with a poor grade(when I could learn the course content at home in my free time).
So should I take it? Or can you learn the mark schemes if you look at the past papers?
I was thinking if it's a bad idea to do Economics or Physics... Economics so that I'd have more options in the future and Physics because it seems really interesting. Economics also seems interesting too from what my ex tells me about it.
EMZ=]
EDIT: And before people say, 'Find out for yourself', I've looked at the modules and syllabus etc. and there doesn't seem to be nothing I'm not capable of understanding, and the quantity doesn't seem too bad(though to be fair, I've only read briefly on some parts), but since this is down to past papers, revision, exam techniques, etc. I'm sure you can respect it'd be a lot easier for me to just ask someone who's currently doing it, rather than spend 2-3 hours or so looking through past papers and mark schemes performing some meta-analysis or whatever which isn't very reliable, lmao.

I say do biology if you want to do medicine(a rather crude assumption to make), but remember that if you do further maths will be regarded as an AS level only. I say if your more inclined to go into science, then take physics instead of further maths, and then if you change your mind, drop biology and pick up further maths. Although you've said that you've looked at the syllabus, have a look at this,this is what the first aqa unit 4 exam did, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8480563.stm sometimes its not about the content, its about how the exam questions are styled, where they don't really focus on knowledge, rather the application of knowledge to new scenarios. In regards to whether the 3 sciences would help or not, the answer is no, simply because it just provides you with prior knowledge of content, which isn't necessarily the case in science examinations, as demonstrated in the link i gave you. Economics isn't essential, and its not very nice if you don't like writing essays. Having said that biology has got alot of writing. Hope this helps.
Reply 10
I don't really plan on taking medicine since I'm not a people person at all, and I don't think I could handle the moral responsibility, etc.
I'd like to take further maths because I feel it'd help me secure a place on a computer science course.
Biology and chemistry are more a back up incase I change my mind and figure that CS isn't for me- not to imply that I'll work less in said subjects.
I don't know. I think I probably will end up taking Biology, because I think not taking it will just limit my options too much- even if it means having to resit AS and stuff. And I actually enjoy written work, tbh. The reason I'm not taking any written subjects(other than the lack of job options) is because I procrastinate too much and don't think I'd get away at A-Level with doing coursework the morning of the dead line.
Any other posts would be appreciated, just different perspectives about the mark schemes etc. but obv. don't feel obligated because I'm probably going to end up taking it anyway for reasons stated above.
EMZ=]
Sounds to me like you're just struggling with general exam technique. That can be worked on, you'll easily overcome it in time. It's certainly not a reason to not take biology. I assume you're pretty intelligent considering you're planning to take subjects like further maths and chemistry, so I doubt you'll struggle with the content. You have an outside interest too - that's always useful.

If I were you, I'd take what you want to take. Don't worry about the problem you're having at the moment - maybe you're just having a bad phase, either way it's a problem you can work on.

On an unrelated note, I noticed you mentioned computer science - I would highly recommend physics if you're seriously thinking of going into computer science (there's a fair bit of computer science in the physics course I'm doing).
Reply 12
Original post by lukas1051
Sounds to me like you're just struggling with general exam technique. That can be worked on, you'll easily overcome it in time. It's certainly not a reason to not take biology. I assume you're pretty intelligent considering you're planning to take subjects like further maths and chemistry, so I doubt you'll struggle with the content. You have an outside interest too - that's always useful.

If I were you, I'd take what you want to take. Don't worry about the problem you're having at the moment - maybe you're just having a bad phase, either way it's a problem you can work on.

On an unrelated note, I noticed you mentioned computer science - I would highly recommend physics if you're seriously thinking of going into computer science (there's a fair bit of computer science in the physics course I'm doing).

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm almost certain that out of the subject I've chosen, in terms of comprehending the content, I'll have no problem with biology. I know that probably sounds arrogant, but yeah. It's just the exams that worry me, though, I'll take yours(and others) word that I'll overcome that issue in time.
Will the physics related-content in CS not be covered in Further Maths?
I'm pretty much set on CS at this point in time, but I'd really like to keep biology so I have other options. Though if it means I'd have a hard time getting onto a course(though I assumed maths and further maths would be enough), or I'd struggle on the course, then I'll at least strongly reconsider my choices.
EMZ=]
Original post by Emor
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm almost certain that out of the subject I've chosen, in terms of comprehending the content, I'll have no problem with biology. I know that probably sounds arrogant, but yeah. It's just the exams that worry me, though, I'll take yours(and others) word that I'll overcome that issue in time.
Will the physics related-content in CS not be covered in Further Maths?
I'm pretty much set on CS at this point in time, but I'd really like to keep biology so I have other options. Though if it means I'd have a hard time getting onto a course(though I assumed maths and further maths would be enough), or I'd struggle on the course, then I'll at least strongly reconsider my choices.
EMZ=]

I'm not sure whether Further Maths will cover any computer science, and if so, how much it will cover - I don't take Further Maths, just Maths. Some of the modules such as mechanics or statistics might, but I'm not sure yet. Either way, Further Maths is the one you really want to do for computer science. I only suggested Physics because I think it would be better than Biology or Chemistry for computer science. As far as I'm aware, computer science courses only ask for mathematics anyway, so you'll be fine, it was only a suggestion. Do the subjects you want to do - I don't want to influence you to do something you don't want :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by lukas1051
I'm not sure whether Further Maths will cover any computer science, and if so, how much it will cover - I don't take Further Maths, just Maths. Some of the modules such as mechanics or statistics might, but I'm not sure yet. Either way, Further Maths is the one you really want to do for computer science. I only suggested Physics because I think it would be better than Biology or Chemistry for computer science. As far as I'm aware, computer science courses only ask for mathematics anyway, so you'll be fine, it was only a suggestion. Do the subjects you want to do - I don't want to influence you to do something you don't want :smile:

Ahh okay thanks :smile:. I'll stick with biology then (Y).
EMZ=]

Quick Reply

Latest