The Student Room Group

B900 Healthcare science

Is anyone applying to B900 Healthcare science at Nottingham???
x
Reply 1
I'm currently doing the foundation year, so I will be starting the course when you do! x
Reply 2
:smile:Hi, I have applied for 2011 entry. Have not heard anything yet. They have acknowledged receipt of my application thou.
Have you heard anything yet?
one piece of advice.
make sure you go to the open day to find out about it.
its actually based at Derby so you would be living there i.e. not with other notts students. There are also not that many young people on it (or there werent last year) it was a lot of mature students.

i went and glad i did as realised it wasnt for me.
Reply 4
I haven't heard anything yet, I'm getting a bit nervous now!!
I met the tutor in a one to one meeting, she was lovely and it looks exactly like a course I would want to do! The teaching is based at Derby on the hospital site but its with the post grad doctors so there are a few students there! The building is brand new and there is a massive medical library on site!

I know you wouldn't be so involved with the University of Nottingham or live in Nottingham on this course but I'm sure you would make friends and Derby has a Uni anyway so there is accommodation in halls available.

04carterle Do you like the course? What are you thinking of doing as a career?
x
Reply 5
Yeah I have an offer for this course, which is quite low so I will be putting this as my insurance choice. Although I'm a bit skeptical about the whole Derby thing. If i do end up going there, is it possible to get halls on the main uni site? That way i could be in Nottingham, go out in Nottingham etc, after all that is why i applied there becuase I like the place!
Reply 6
Hi
I have an offer 2. Might use this as an insurance. Also not sure about the The Royal Derby Hospital thing. But hey, the optional modules are just what I am looking for. Also applied 2:

Nottingham Uni - Healthcare Science - OFFER BCC (B Biology):smile:
Leceister Uni - Medical Phyisology OFFER ABB:tongue:
Oxford Brookes - Medical Science OFFER BBC:smile:
Birmingham Univ - Medical Science INTERVIEW:tongue:
Swansea - Clinicial Phyisoloby - WAITING 2hear :s-smilie:
Reply 7
I got a Conditional :smile: so happy its my first choice!

When I visited the tutor she gave me a leaflet about Derby uni Accommodation that the post-grad medical students use, it looks OK and its cheap!

I'll be living in my own house but I'v been to uni before and so has my boyfriend, I really wouldn't worry about living in Nottingham if you live in halls you will make friends and Derby has good shopping and is a good night out. Plus the post graduate medical students live there and study there so it wont just be Health care science students :smile:
x
Reply 8
Sorry it's taken me such a while to get back to you! Well I'm currently studying on the foundation year as my A-level results were lower than I expected, so I actually got on this course through clearing. The first term I found to be a bit slow to get going. however that may be as it focuses on getting everyone up to a set standard. So having already done Biology and Chemistry at A-level it was a bit tedious, as it pretty much covers the bits of the biology and chemistry a-level that you need to understand as the course progresses. However I have absolutely loved the second term. It focuses more on understanding basic human anatomy and physiology, we've looked at the bodies various systems such as digestion and renal, all of which are supported by practical sessions in the anatomy suite which has been fascinating!

Don't let the fact the course is based in Derby put you off ethier. I actually live in halls on main campus, so I'm still part of the main social side. Infact I'd say you probably get the best of both worlds, as I have the choice of both Nottingham and Derby for nights out!
Also, Nottingham's' medical school at Derby Royal Hospital is admittedly at a much higher standard than the one at QMC, due to it only being a few years old.

The only issues I've had with the course being in Derby is transport and food, Nottingham as of present does not run a hopper bus to Derby and public transport can work out quite expensive. During the year we've been fighting to get one, which I believe will be running from this September so that shouldn't be an issue this year.
On main campus all halls are fully-catered, but of course being in Derby means that I miss breakfast and lunch as our uni card doesn't work in the hospitals canteen. So a huge waste of money for food you don't actually receive!
I would advise living in Broadgate Park, Raleigh Park or St Peters Court (the non-catered halls) all of which are at most 15mins away from campus.
I got lucky this year and managed to be reimbursed for my lunches, however it's pretty rare they do that so if you were set on living on main campus i'd get in touch with accommodation services beforehand!

In response to Suffixes, I'm not actually sure what I want to do yet.. Im waiting to see what parts of the course interest me the most and go from there. Theres quite a lot this degree can prepare you for though; http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=276.

I hope this helps, feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions! :smile:
Hi there

I am a mature student who has appied for this course (after cut off date) with the foundation year. Is anyone doing this and if so what days/ hours do you do? I'm trying to sort childcare for IF I get a place.
Laura
Reply 10
Hi everyone.
I am also a mature student starting on the foundation level (full time, though i was told that efforts are being made for part time soon) this September. I live in Nottingham and will be driving to derby. will be glad to hear from fellow students and if possible organise a travelling arrangements. I am looking forward to this course and knowing my class mates.
Reply 11
Hi If you are going to stay in Derby, and want a pad in the centre why not try Gerrard street no 32, I think Jeffery Jones are the Estate agents and it is on the Derby website for students, its very cheap and cosy, I know cause I stayed there last year. It is within easy walk of the hospital and town centre. Good Luck.:smile:

Original post by suffixes
I got a Conditional :smile: so happy its my first choice!

When I visited the tutor she gave me a leaflet about Derby uni Accommodation that the post-grad medical students use, it looks OK and its cheap!

I'll be living in my own house but I'v been to uni before and so has my boyfriend, I really wouldn't worry about living in Nottingham if you live in halls you will make friends and Derby has good shopping and is a good night out. Plus the post graduate medical students live there and study there so it wont just be Health care science students :smile:
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending