The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Internet speed at Brunel?

I was wondering if anyone at Brunel Uni could run a speedtest.net - just curious about the speeds people get in the halls and elsewhere.

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stephenc
I was wondering if anyone at Brunel Uni could run a speedtest.net - just curious about the speeds people get in the halls and elsewhere.

Thanks.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1038380061.png
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2

Cheers. Is it always that slow?
Original post by stephenc
Cheers. Is it always that slow?

it means nothing to me tbh. i always get told it's fast though.
really depends on the time of day.
Reply 4
....10mb download is slow to you :O
Reply 5
Original post by binkibonko
....10mb download is slow to you :O

Yeah, I get 12-13Mbps at home over a phone line. I would have expected a university to have 100Mbps leased fiber or something. Most unis do.

Reply 6
It really does vary a lot - I remember running speedtest and getting 91mb/s in early October at about 11am on a weekday. Atm it seems closer to 2mb/s:

Reply 7
Brunel, like pretty much all universities in London has a 100mb link provided by JANET (joint academic network or something) - however it's 100mb shared by everyone so speed will vary depending on usage. Also i think they might limit speed in halls so that vital university business can continue (ie. the computer centre staff can play world of warcraft)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1071569814.png *flex* This is from my wired halls connection.
(edited 13 years ago)
Apologies for the necro-bump -- I don't like to clutter the place up.

Could anyone who was there this year give us an idea of the speeds nowadays? I know it's not possible to do a speed test as no-one is there, but at least an idea would be good thanks.
I lived in halls last year - never did a speed test but what I will say is that it was pretty fast, and also reliable as there is both cable and wifi in halls and one usually worked if the other didnt! There was only one morning when neither worked...!
Reply 11
Is Internet an extra charge when living in halls at Brunel?
Are you applying for uni's based on their Internet speeds? lol
No, if that was the case then I'd apply to some in the USA, dem 700+ Mb connections.
Reply 14
I asked and yeah it's included as part of accommodation for no extra cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I've asked quite a lot of people and they just say it's fast. I'm taking their word for it but I have 120mb at home at the moment so I hope it lives up to my expectations lol
The internet speed is pretty fast and you also have the choice to use the blue Ethernet cable or use WiFi.
Reply 17
Anything is faster than my 2~5mb speed.
All that speed is good, but I have a question. They seem pretty serious about monitoring how the connection is used (mostly in terms of the content), is it really that strict in reality?
Original post by gingersubmarine
All that speed is good, but I have a question. They seem pretty serious about monitoring how the connection is used (mostly in terms of the content), is it really that strict in reality?

Honestly its not that strict. They probably do monitor it but they've sent out messages or anything issuing concerns (as far as I'm aware)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending