The Student Room Group

Do you like being approached by guys in the daytime?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prescilla
Really, I would like to know how many guys here have been rejected in the daytime and for what reasons? I feel like most people are just making up excuses because they don't dare to talk to strangers. I have approached guys in the daytime. By that I mean talking etc. and not that I straight away ask anyone out. It's just talking so I don't think it's scary. Nothing is as nice as a warm smile and a conversation with someone who is putting some effort in the conversation (which means, I don't like when the only answers I get are "umm, I guess", "yeah", "no...")

Thus thread is about guys asking girls out and getting there numbers, anyone can talk to a stranger...so stop talking as if you've acomplished something
Reply 41
Original post by Meus
You only want them to approach you to boost your ego, to know someone came to you because of an attraction

Of course, it's an ego boost, but I think the problem is that British people (in general....although i'm wary of saying that) are afraid to make the first move, and therefore no-one does.
If a guy came up to me and told me I was the most amazing guy he'd ever seen, It would make my day. And I'd feel more respect for him because he's open and confident enough to just go out and say it.
Reply 42
Original post by BlackVenom321
Thus thread is about guys asking girls out and getting there numbers, anyone can talk to a stranger...so stop talking as if you've acomplished something

It's frustrating when the other sex talk about us if we're failed Gladiators. They have no right to judge what is weird, strange or nerves when it comes to this because that bloke who approached them did something the vast majority of them couldn't even be comprehend thinking about let alone actually doing it.

Original post by grth
Of course, it's an ego boost, but I think the problem is that British people (in general....although i'm wary of saying that) are afraid to make the first move, and therefore no-one does.
If a guy came up to me and told me I was the most amazing guy he'd ever seen, It would make my day. And I'd feel more respect for him because he's open and confident enough to just go out and say it.

How often do you go out your way to make such an announcement to complete strangers then? Or is the criticism of people in this country unable doing that, only apply when they fail to do this to us? Here's a tip for all of you: if you're low on your compliment income rate, then become a singer or song writer. Or even a novelist maybe? Maybe erotic ones to guarantee a steady stream of fan mail? For the lads who aren't Mr Darcy's, you're only hope is to become filthy rich. There are gold-diggers in every part of the world so you won't have the problem you face in England
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Meus
It's frustrating when the other sex talk about us if we're failed Gladiators. They have no right to judge what is weird, strange or nerves when it comes to this because that bloke who approached them did something the vast majority of them couldn't even be comprehend thinking about let alone actually doing it.

How often do you go out your way to make such an announcement to complete strangers then? Or is the criticism of people in this country unable doing that, only apply when they fail to do this to us?

Yeah, but that fear of making the first move also applies to me.
I am quite confident at speaking, normally, but a myriad of things would have to apply for me to just wander over and compliment the person, as in.... if the guy was alone it would be easier, but if he was with a few friends I wouldn't be able to muster up the confidence to (potentially) make a fool out of myself.

I can only see it perfectly from my perspective, after all. And I think it just depends on personal confidence.
Reply 44
Original post by Meus
You've approached guys just to have a chat or get their number? One of the difficult parts about this for guys is that when you approach a girl it immediately becomes obvious to everyone, including her, that you're courting her. The fact that she knows it and you're there to get her number. When you're approaching someone at campus or school, it is easier because you'll see them often and so you can just make an impression and introduce yourself the first time. But when it's someone outside, someone you won't see again, you throw the dice. And naturally, girls aren't comfortable in giving you their details unless you completely bewitch them. Most guys aren't capable of such impressive feats, and so you have a terrible walk of retreat to endure. Rejections aren't a result of him, but the environment also. However, you can't always choose your time or place and this is the most common example; guys who are acting weird or 'do it wrong' doesn't mean they are creeps, but simply took a gamble. In anything, it shows their courage to even attempt an embarrassing approach.

From a personal point of view, I hope the girl isn't the type to just give her number after being sweet talked by what seems like a nice guy. He doesn't want your number to exchange nail painting tips, so she should try to know the guy far more before she chooses to give him a platform like a phone number. Maybe some guys think the same in this regard and don't want to ask for her number yet but just want to know her. But when shes a random girl on the street, how do you do that? You can't. Hence why some don't approach. If you were a regular somewhere they visited often, you'll then see them approach (which is why things liek that happen in gathering locations more commonly e.g. library, cafeteria, bus stop etc)

When I talk to guys, there is not only one reason for it. Maybe guys may think like this but my goal isn't to get his number. My goal is to have a nice conversation. If it continues it may lead to giving a number to him or adding him on facebook or something. But it must feel natural. I don't like when I'm having conversations with guys and they seem like they are busy. They are trying to make the conversation part short. This happens especially in bars when guys just want to get you in their appartment as soon as possible (this is the main reason why I don't like to have conversation in a bar, most conversations have been like that) and I believe this could happen with a guy who only wants your phone number. If a guy wants my number, why on earth can't he enjoy the conversation (btw even though I'm a girl, I talk about many other things too than nail painting tips)? If he just wants sex, then okay, do the conversation in a bar.

I don't think it's always so obvious that they wan't to have your number, some people just have small talk with people who they don't know. And so what if he wants, if I like to talk to him I don't care. Conversations and good small talk needs skills. I'm not denying it, but it's not only about the guy. The girl needs to have skills too. You have to know how to lead the conversation without awkward silence and you have to know when and where to do it. I think on the street isn't the right place. It may be if you are really good at approaching strangers. One guy approached me on the street when I was in London and it didn't seem creepy at all :biggrin: He just saw me waiting there and we had some small talk first.
Of course not! I like my men to creep up from behind me when I'm walking home in the evening. I'd prefer if they used a trip wire or a taser to get my attention. Whispering "My preciousss" in my ear would also suffice, though; second date would be a guarantee.

On a more serious note, what's the difference?
Reply 46

Why so aggressive? Guys come to girls's threads and so on. I just think it's stupid to have one goal, to get their number. If the girl can't enjoy the conversation, why would they give you their number? Would you give your number to someone who you haven't talked to at all?
Original post by DeputyDog
That's the problem with UK men, they can only approach girls when they're drunk or via the internet. I think actually most girls would be chuffed for a guy to approach them in the daytime, as it happens so rarely...as long as he's not creepy etc.

You should deffo give it a go!

Want to know why?

The chance the woman turns into an absolute stuck-up cow and makes the guy feel inept is quite high considering the stock in this country.

When men are drunk it opens up their ability to laugh and say how truly pathetic it is. Thats why men do it, I personally couldn't care less either way what women think. :smile:
Why so aggressive? Guys come to girls's threads and so on. I just think it's stupid to have one goal, to get their number. If the girl can't enjoy the conversation, why would they give you their number? Would you give your number to someone who you haven't talked to at all?

You obviosuly didn't understand my point, I'm not gonna carry on this discussion it's ridiculous..you can believe what you want man...who cares

I know I said I would end this discussion, but the reason i think we desagreed is because we have different ideas about what this thread is about. You think it's just about talking in general and having a casual conversation, whereas I and a lot of others think it's about appraching girls because you would like to get to know them and get their phone number etc.

Here is a post by the OP which suggests this thread is about exchanging phone numbers
"Well approach a girl who is on her own then, or 2 girls at the very most! Avoid big groups/packs of girls!

As for advice on how to approach...just be friendly and confident and charming...NOT weird or creepy. Oh and be DIRECT, i.e. don't beat around the bush with your intentions. We girls hate it when a guy uses an excuse to approach us, for example pretending he wants to know the time or directions etc. It just makes you looks so stupid and spineless. Just tell her you think she's attractive and ask if she wants to meet up some time. Introduce yourself, it's not difficult.

Oh and don't STARE at us. Actually APPROACH us. Staring makes it look like you fancy us but are too scared to approach, which is a turn off.

Oh and don't stick around too long trying to make conversation. We're usually in hurry/got places to go etc. Exchange numbers and be on your way"

BTW do you agree with this, It feels like i'd have to follow requirments and a strict set of rules when talking to girls
yes! I GOT ASKED OUT ON THE TRAIN! :woo:

I was meant to make a thread on it but then I forgot

:woo:
Reply 51
I know I said I would end this discussion, but the reason i think we desagreed is because we have different ideas about what this thread is about. You think it's just about talking in general and having a casual conversation, whereas I and a lot of others think it's about appraching girls because you would like to get to know them and get their phone number etc.

Here is a post by the OP which suggests this thread is about exchanging phone numbers
"Well approach a girl who is on her own then, or 2 girls at the very most! Avoid big groups/packs of girls!

As for advice on how to approach...just be friendly and confident and charming...NOT weird or creepy. Oh and be DIRECT, i.e. don't beat around the bush with your intentions. We girls hate it when a guy uses an excuse to approach us, for example pretending he wants to know the time or directions etc. It just makes you looks so stupid and spineless. Just tell her you think she's attractive and ask if she wants to meet up some time. Introduce yourself, it's not difficult.

Oh and don't STARE at us. Actually APPROACH us. Staring makes it look like you fancy us but are too scared to approach, which is a turn off.

Oh and don't stick around too long trying to make conversation. We're usually in hurry/got places to go etc. Exchange numbers and be on your way"

BTW do you agree with this, It feels like i'd have to follow requirments and a strict set of rules when talking to girls

No I don't mean casual conversations, I have casual conversations with grannies. I have been asked out after I have had a conversation with someone who is a stranger. But I mean that everything starts with a casual conversation. If you want someone to be interested in you, you have to have your "sale talk" and by that I mean you have to show you are an interesting person. And when you are talking to someone (both of) you have to lead the conversation to a specific direction to the point where you can ask her out/her number and vice versa.

And I partly agree with that. Being too direct may be creepy to some people. And when I mean casual conversations/small talk I don't mean that they have to pretend that they are lost. It maybe a conversation full of flirt or something that shows that you are not only talking to them because you are bored. But not all the girls are same. Some like more direct action and some don't. Personally I want to have conversation with a guy before I give him my number. I wan't to know what kind of a guy he is. But I agree that most girls would probably find staring just creepy and it wouldn't lead to anything.

All the time I meant that people won't lose anything if they are first having these casual conversations. It may even give you are better chance to get this girl's number. The most terrifying part (at least for me) is when you have to ask his number or if he wants to meet me later.
Reply 52
Original post by Meus

I would have tremendous respect for one that tried it. If a girl were to genuinely approach a guy she liked to get his number, the amount of psychological and cultural barriers she would have to break to reach that point would turn every man's head and that guy who was approached would be the envy of the room. Whereas a guy courting a girl could mean anything in terms of his motive, a girl who approaches a guy signals serious intent, and dare I say it, a romantic.

Unfortunately this doesn't make us any less likely to be rejected...:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by ipulledhermione
yes! I GOT ASKED OUT ON THE TRAIN! :woo:

I was meant to make a thread on it but then I forgot

:woo:

On the train? Geez, every train I go on people are sat in silence looking miserable, NOT TALKING to anyone. How did that happen? Did you exchange numbers?

:yep: and i wasn't even wearing a suit/formal clothing like TSR suggested. It was
By a Danish guy late 20s. I've actually forgotten what his name was, but i know his second name is Austergard or something like that. We chatted and then just before
My stop he took my number. We've been texting since. Weird ****. But to be fair he wasn't the type of guy i initially wanted to attract on the train. I like older men, slightly more butch and raw. He was just lean and not as old as i'd have preferred. But twad nice. Brightened up my day.
On the train? Geez, every train I go on people are sat in silence looking miserable, NOT TALKING to anyone. How did that happen? Did you exchange numbers?
No sane individual would want me to randomly throw myself at them :hmmm:
Reply 56
So, what girl doesn't want to be desired? It's flattering when a guy has the guts to approach you and compliment you!

Why should men just feed women's ego's on the off-chance that they might agree to go out on a date. Most women are pretty picky. If you want gender equality, you can approach men. Men shouldn'thave to do all the work. I do sometimes complement women but thats besides the point
Reply 57
American guys are way more willing to do this in my experience. In Britain, I almost never have random conversations with people (other than mentalists, and London Lite distributors). In some of the friendlier parts of America (particuarly outside of the cities), I can't go a day without guys randomly approaching. It's not always an 'I want to date you' thing, it's just that conversations between strangers are not as much of a big deal there. I think it's a more confident, outgoing, community-obsessed, social culture than England.
I personally like it, if the person is friendly/sane/polite. Bonus points if they're fit. I can't stand guys (and girls) who stare at you without talking to you - it's really rude. I think it's a form of subtle bullying. If you're interested by someone; talk to them - otherwise, stop staring and leave them alone.

I read an interview with Jessica Alba where said that she lived in Britain for three months and no guys came up to her, other than a guy asking her if she wanted a makeover. If that's how it was for her, what hope is there for the rest of us in England. We need a campaign to encourage more random chatting in Britain...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gbri89
American guys are way more willing to do this in my experience. In Britain, I almost never have random conversations with people (other than mentalists, and London Lite distributors).

Erm, you can have as many conversations with random people as you want, just walk up to people and talk to them?

Original post by gbri89
I can't stand guys (and girls) who stare at you without talking to you - it's really rude. I think it's a form of subtle bullying.

If someone is staring at you and you wish they would either talk to you or stop staring, you could maybe ... talk to them?

Original post by gbri89
We need a campaign to encourage more random chatting in Britain...

You could write strongly worded posts on the internet, orrrrrrrr ... you could just walk up to someone and talk to them?
Reply 59
xx
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending