The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shannon14
I love them! I'm able to do the 3x3 one without a bother... the 4x4 is an other story! Every time that I am even close to finishing it.... I get excited and mess it up!

Ha ha... Yeah I really wish... When I was working in Centra (like Spar) before they gave me the job of signing people up to loyalty tags... I was getting like 10 times more than other people... I even got people to sign up who had refused other people! They miss me to this day!

Yeah... And they might make the 1 hour car drive to get it back!

Woahh! Something else to impress the interviewers with :wink:

You sound like you have the personality to win interviewers over with! :cool:

Hmmm true, not if I eat it all! :ninja:
Original post by TheMeister
Oh, I see you applied for PPS.... I did too
I've not actually asked any of the other applicants here on TSR yet how their interview went so, yeah, how did yours go? Any difficult questions?

I applied to Jesus by the way :smile:

hello :biggrin:
ahh, mine was okay. i felt like half of the interview was hard and the other half wasn't too bad...and i wasn't asked about my ps or the reading i had mentioned in my ps, which i was kinda expecting. how was yours? were you also asked about all three areas?
Original post by dog24
1. You don't go to egypt for the beach, otherwise you could just go to any old s***hole for a beach like spain or something.

2. No doubt Egypt is an absolute hole, (i've been) and it's in no way representative of the middle east. Neither are Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain etc.

3. The true middle east such as syria is full of iconic historical sites which an academic or historian would love to visit, sadly if your looking for a beach it's probably not for you, stick to spain. (that said there is a beach there)

Ye I didn't really see Egypt a true middle East
but the beaches in Egypt were amazing, with all those fish in the sea, you won't find that kind of aquatic life in Spain
Original post by pink giggle
hello :biggrin:
ahh, mine was okay. i felt like half of the interview was hard and the other half wasn't too bad...and i wasn't asked about my ps or the reading i had mentioned in my ps, which i was kinda expecting. how was yours? were you also asked about all three areas?

did you only have the one? yeah mine went pretty much the same - I think there might have been a 'good cop, bad cop' routine going on, but who knows? I mean in the first interview I had, I was asked quite a lot about the essay that I'd submitted and then general political theory about the legitimacy of the state (where does it derive its power from? / what's the difference between a nation and a state? - that kind of thing) which was okay given that we do that, to a large extent, at A2

Second one I was asked more about the broad range of subjects that are available in PPS and I was caught out on the psychology elements of politics, probably should have done a little more prep. before it. Then I was asked about the most obscure topic that I think is possible at interview.... can't remember the exact wording but it was about whether instilling democracy in the Congo would help to improve women's rights. More than a little dumbstruck as you can imagine :biggrin:

Now that I think about it, I don't remember any sociological questions... hmmm
Original post by shannon14
Really? Which ones were they? My brothers and sisters are older than me too... It is like we are two different families! Yeah... How were they with you applying? Will they be disappointed if you don't get in (hypothetically of course!)

The linguist and the historian. Yeah, we've always had the little ones and the big ones, I can barely remember a time when we all lived at home.

My parents won't be at all bothered, they were actually quite pleased (in the nicest possible way :tongue:) when my sister didn't get in a few years ago (I guess it was stressful for them as well when there were problems). They don't put on any pressure at all, a lot of people expect them to be very pushy when they hear how well we've all done, but they are completely relaxed about school/uni. They do however think there's no way I'm going to get a job with a Maths degree :rolleyes:, which is encouraging.
Does anyone if the offer/rejection letter will be sent 1st class? im wondering because i live in ireland :frown:
Original post by jonnyboy1993
I have a similar day lined up on the 22nd if I get an offer from Cambridge:

M4 - AM
BIO5 - AM
STEP III - PM

only 6 and three quarter hours of exams...

That week is going to be killer if I have a Cambridge offer.
S3 and STEP II on the monday
STEP III on the wednesday
FP2 on the thurday
FP3 and GERM3 on Friday

If I get an offer inc. STEP I then that'd also be on the Friday.. but then that's unlikely to happen.. I hope.
Original post by TheMeister
did you only have the one? yeah mine went pretty much the same - I think there might have been a 'good cop, bad cop' routine going on, but who knows? I mean in the first interview I had, I was asked quite a lot about the essay that I'd submitted and then general political theory about the legitimacy of the state (where does it derive its power from? / what's the difference between a nation and a state? - that kind of thing) which was okay given that we do that, to a large extent, at A2

Second one I was asked more about the broad range of subjects that are available in PPS and I was caught out on the psychology elements of politics, probably should have done a little more prep. before it. Then I was asked about the most obscure topic that I think is possible at interview.... can't remember the exact wording but it was about whether instilling democracy in the Congo would help to improve women's rights. More than a little dumbstruck as you can imagine :biggrin:

Now that I think about it, I don't remember any sociological questions... hmmm

yeep, only one interview. haha and i only had one interviewer, so maybe he was trying to play both the role of the good cop and the bad cop :tongue:
ohh, i didn't get to hand in an essay. i had to the TSA and a 30 min essay instead.

yeah, i feel that i should have done a bit more prep, but at the same time i'm not sure how much i really could have prepared since the questions asked are kinda random...like that congo question. ahaha wow. my interviewer asked me quite a bit about violating human rights (which isn't that hard)...like he asked me about singapore, oh, and then he went on saying "from your accent i assume that you have a lot of american friends..." :colondollar: hahaha and he asked me about terrorist surveillance after 9/11 and if the US gov't has the right to monitor peoples phone calls, emails etc....so, pretty straightforward really, and he was nodding his head which i took as a good sign. :tongue:
i'm pretty sure i was asked one sociological question but i don't remember what it was. :s-smilie:
Original post by blackpot
What were they? I could do with something to combat my incredible ability to procrastinate :smile:

Ummmmmmmmmm

"Genius: 1 per cent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration"

"In the final arena there will be no judges, only witnesses to my greatness"

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."

"Jealousy is the tribute that mediocrity pays to greatness"

Theres some, can't remember them all!
Reply 3729
Original post by Felix101
I could use a holiday...'oh wait, I've got SEVEN weeks of summer holiday'. :rolleyes: Wow Costa Rica sounds awesome. If you're going for so long you must have plans? Or just beaches for 7 weeks? :rolleyes: I guess coming back on the day means you don't worry so much. Perhaps. Or perhaps spoils the end of your holiday a bit. :curious: TSR withdrawal symptoms? Seriously? You'll be in Costa Rica! Although, if you don't wont to leave TSR I could always go in your place, y'know, just as a massive favour and whatever...:ahee:

:mad2: Argh working in cafes! Well done for managing 3 successive summers. That is some feat.

Ahh. Lib or Lab then?> Have you heard this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wr6r6/15_Minute_Musical_Series_6_The_Lying_King/? You'll like it if a cross between the Lion King, a musical and a satirical look at the election appeals :tongue:. Also the Dr Bruce is probably worth a listen if you enjoy it. Where's this friend of your's going out of interest? :cookie: Jesus, I really hate Little Britain + Matt Lucas and David Walliams generally...Although, pics of you in your Vicky P getup would be :giggle:. Just think, by the next time spooks is on, we'll be at university. Can't imagine that really tbh...

It's (was - finished today! :party:) on food at M&S. It was so dull. The most mind-numbing thing I have ever done. Everr. Hah, not quite. I will be able to afford my ski instructor course. I doubt I'll have much left after that. Especially after importing a suitcase full of schnapps :rolleyes::tongue:.

I am am I? :tongue: Well obviously Oxford didn't think so..:redface:. I only applied to Ox as I was going to take my gap year anyway and just apply this year, but then I thought what the hell and had a go. Although I was probably really rather naive last time around. :holmes:

Oh neat, what did they study there? Where did your mum go then? Kensington eh? :hat: Snazzy. - Also what was the camp thing for? :s-smilie: I guess as a private-schooler it would be my kind of area eh :rolleyes:?

Revision? Which modules have you got in January? Although work is boring, I don't miss exams...:tongue: I'm hungry for George already. You're right, I think our alcohol-seared steaks might just work...God it sounds delicious. Cook for me :colonhash:. Now I'm hungry, and it's too late to go to get anything from the kitchen, and I don't have any food left in my room :frown:. I think we should take our amaretto steaks to the Let Us Dine with You.

Big bang isn't really a movie though is it...? Surely a Big-Bang-athon would be more appropriate. Maybe with a slightly less ambiguous title. But yes, enlighten me! As long as it doesn't make me feel like I'm watching a worse version of the IT crowd. Like if you put on American Office over UK Office. You're going to have to explain the rest of that, starting with Jersey Shore. Then GTL and grenades, etc. I have no clue what any of that is/is a reference to. :colondollar:

I just don't want to think about why you have pictures like that to hand...

Spoiler

Yeaaaah. T'was a bit of an odd image, sorry about that.

Hah, while obviously flattered myself, I must point that your title would be best received should you bestow it upon one of your plethora of internet lotharilurkz. I'm sure it is much coveted in the realm known as TSR.

I did and yes it has. It is shorter. It's looks nicer a bit longer really. Myheritage seems to be really dependent upon the angle of your face in the photo :rolleyes:. I also agree, I have no idea who most/any of those people are. I'm just satisfied I'm over 50% male. :yep:. Face structure (?) wise yeah I see what you mean. His eyes are brown though, and hair more fro'ish. Jared was my highest % actually, at 80. :tongue:

Hehe, how ironic. No I don't think mine beats that though. Such a fail :ahee:. Did he watch the rest of the film on his own? Oh you were hanging with your 'homies' aye? :rolleyes:

Now I'm off to catch up on Peep Show :yep:

nah, it's like a short gap-yah type thing. it's charity-organised so i'll be spending it teaching english to the impoverished and saving turtles. possibly building mud-huts too. even though, i've got to raise £2250 before May and find a doctor willing to overlook recent medical records and sign away my consent forms :rolleyes:

cafes are horrific, but M&S food! hahahahahahaaa! how are you still alive. oh yeah, few weeks in switzerland learning how to be a ski instructor. that sounds awesome. hmph, you'll be lounging around, catching rays and necking schnapps while i'm suffocating in coursework :hmmm: no fair! :tongue:

can't say i'm a fan of party politics, everything in britain's a little too far right for me these days. i fall somewhere beside nelson mandela and gandhi on the political spectrum :rolleyes:

Spoiler

i LOVED that! best bit of radio ever, have some pizza- :pizza:
my dear conservative friend is hoping for durham (law) but tbh, his grades are quite bad and i doubt he'll get an offer. it'll be leeds or exeter, you're safe :ahee:
little britain = :facepalm:. i had a look for the outfit this morning! turns out, my old swim team tracksuit is actually long gone, but i do have some moose print pyjamas that might work, and i have TWO scrunchies :colondollar:

oxford just noticed your subconscious burning desire to go to cambridge before you did. they were like, nah we can't take him. too cool for us :awesome:
you'll be fine this time though, you have an A* in maths! if you can manage that AND history, meh. have some genius points, i'm jealous. i wish i could do science as well as writing stories, making innuendos and just being an epic geographical corduroy-wearer.

dad did engineering, auntie did geology. mum went to at aston :giggle: although she did have a go at oxford. i come from a long line of oxbridge rejects, actually :erm:
imperial is near a much much posher area than ucl (the WC1 area is however where all the best stuff is. camden, the zoo, oxford st, tottenham court rd, list goes on). but it makes for a decent weekender. go get £20 sundaes in harrods then spend your evenings trying to stir up a rave in a hall of reclusive scientists :cookie: you'll love it. :biggrin:

welll.... i've got english lang 3 (60% of the A2 marks), chem2 resit, chem4, bio1, and 2 geog modules (again, about 66% of A2). think i've only got 3 exams in the summer. plus a truckload of resits if i'm chasing a cam offer :redface:
if i go to UCL i'll probably only need BCC this year to get AAB overall. but cambridge would want the equivalent of two A*'s at least for my A2 modules, which might be asking a bit much :frown:

but if it all works out, i will gladly cook for you! though, as discussed, i will expect adequate and suitably alcoholic compensation :yes:

big-bang-athon :mmm: inappropriate. "informal evening-time gathering of sorts during which the viewing of popular television series 'The Big Bang Theory' shall commence, and all shall partake of intoxicating beverages plus popcorn"? i like that better.

:tongue:lz: seize your innocence and run, jersey shore is mind-corruption on an epic scale. however:
dtf:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dtf
gtl:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gtl
grenade:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grenade

i just googled 'really hairy guy with a beard'. why on earth would i have that lurkin' my desktop? :awesome:

it's hardly a plethora. i think there's about two. i share Doughnuts!! with about 5 other people and cpdavis doesn't need the 'title', he's everyone's favourite. :rolleyes:

by the way, add nathan from misfits to your looky-likey list. not as close a match as stefan but definitely closer than most of the myheritage ones! :tongue:

he got his money's worth and finished the film. he also ate the popcorn she left behind :wink:
Reply 3730
I have a similar day lined up on the 22nd if I get an offer from Cambridge:

M4 - AM
BIO5 - AM
STEP III - PM

only 6 and three quarter hours of exams...

oooh (N) Not Nice. Good Luck for that! Do you not need STEP for anywhere else?
Reply 3731
Original post by Kobie

can't say i'm a fan of party politics, everything in britain's a little too far right for me these days. i fall somewhere beside nelson mandela and gandhi on the political spectrum :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Just being nosy, you're the first person I've seen with a similar political grid thing to me :biggrin: Apparently I'm Gandhi. Not a bad comparison, though having studied him a bit last year, I think he's overrated :redface: But it makes me feel nice to see a fellow lefty libertarian :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella

OMGSPOTIFYISSOAWESOME! Didn't know that we could send music to each other! :nutcase:
Original post by eve_m
Just being nosy, you're the first person I've seen with a similar political grid thing to me :biggrin: Apparently I'm Gandhi. Not a bad comparison, though having studied him a bit last year, I think he's overrated :redface: But it makes me feel nice to see a fellow lefty libertarian :smile:

Oooh, that's really similar to mine as well. Just a bit more left than me (which I didn't even think was possible! :p:)
Reply 3734
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Oooh, that's really similar to mine as well. Just a bit more left than me (which I didn't even think was possible! :p:)

Yay, the lefties are revealing themselves!
On second thoughts, that sounds a bit pervy, but oh well, you know what I mean :smile:
Original post by Schnecke
That week is going to be killer if I have a Cambridge offer.
S3 and STEP II on the monday
STEP III on the wednesday
FP2 on the thurday
FP3 and GERM3 on Friday

If I get an offer inc. STEP I then that'd also be on the Friday.. but then that's unlikely to happen.. I hope.

I get the fun of FP2 and FP3 as well, but at least revising for those will help with STEP. I don't even get to relax at the weekend either because of physics unit 5 on the following Monday :rolleyes: In fact I only have two exams not in that week, exam boards should really try not to arrange all their exams at the same time...

You do S3? I don't think I could cope with that, S1 was bad enough...

Original post by kayla:)
oooh (N) Not Nice. Good Luck for that! Do you not need STEP for anywhere else?

Yeah, though I seem to have a habit of getting horrible exam timetables, this will be the 3rd year in a row where I am the last person in my year to finish their exams :rolleyes: I need STEP for Warwick, but I've got offers from Imperial and Durham without STEP so I might just decline Warwick if I get rejected by Cambridge because STEP is just so much effort, though worth it if Cambridge is the reward (at least that's how I'm getting myself through it :tongue:)
Original post by Doughnuts!!
OMGSPOTIFYISSOAWESOME! Didn't know that we could send music to each other! :nutcase:

:awesome:
I may spam you some more when I finish listening to club life 167 on youtube :ahee:

Seeing the above comment, I may also put in some little pro market lectures on the message bit :u: because

How did you add me anyway? I've still not figured it out.
Reply 3737

Yeah, though I seem to have a habit of getting horrible exam timetables, this will be the 3rd year in a row where I am the last person in my year to finish their exams :rolleyes: I need STEP for Warwick, but I've got offers from Imperial and Durham without STEP so I might just decline Warwick if I get rejected by Cambridge because STEP is just so much effort, though worth it if Cambridge is the reward (at least that's how I'm getting myself through it :tongue:)

It's cos you're doing maths :tongue: Isn't Warwick like amazing though? My friend's got an offer for there, A*A*A STEP 2 or A*AA STEP 1 something or other :P I don't know exactly what as I'm not doing maths, so I smile and nod when he tells me but, seems very hard!!! Also Durham is apparently amazing. A different friend is waiting to hear which college he's got into. Applied for Castle but they haven't told him which yet. He was very excited when it was received by a college, we were all like, that's not an offer though, which made him shout IT'S PRACTICALLY AN OFFER OMG. It was cute bless him :P
Original post by Schnecke
The linguist and the historian. Yeah, we've always had the little ones and the big ones, I can barely remember a time when we all lived at home.

My parents won't be at all bothered, they were actually quite pleased (in the nicest possible way :tongue:) when my sister didn't get in a few years ago (I guess it was stressful for them as well when there were problems). They don't put on any pressure at all, a lot of people expect them to be very pushy when they hear how well we've all done, but they are completely relaxed about school/uni. They do however think there's no way I'm going to get a job with a Maths degree :rolleyes:, which is encouraging.

We never all lived at home! There is like 19 years between the oldest and the youngest! We've never actually all been together!!!

Well, I guess having them indifferent to the decision is better then them telling everyone that you're going... Before you get in!!!

Ha ha.. You can become a teacher..? I'm sure that there is loads that you can do with one! I'm glad that my course leads straight into a career and I don't have to get any extra degree... unless I want one!!!

What are you looking into doing when you finish?
Original post by kayla:)
It's cos you're doing maths :tongue: Isn't Warwick like amazing though? My friend's got an offer for there, A*A*A STEP 2 or A*AA STEP 1 something or other :P I don't know exactly what as I'm not doing maths, so I smile and nod when he tells me but, seems very hard!!! Also Durham is apparently amazing. A different friend is waiting to hear which college he's got into. Applied for Castle but they haven't told him which yet. He was very excited when it was received by a college, we were all like, that's not an offer though, which made him shout IT'S PRACTICALLY AN OFFER OMG. It was cute bless him :P

Life never seems to treat us poor naive little mathematicians fairly :frown: Ah well, we're just too awesome for people to deal with :tongue: But yeah Warwick is supposedly the best uni after oxbridge for maths. And that's the same offer I have, but it just seems like it's not worth all the extra STEP work just for Warwick when I could go to Imperial or Durham instead and not have to go through STEP. Yeah STEP is like A-level maths, but much harder because it's more spotting tricks and using clever methods rather than just repeating formulae you've practised, I don't know anyone who would do STEP unless they had to...

But Durham is very nice, I heard back from castle just over a week ago, it's such a nice college, but really competitive. But for your friend it might as well be an offer, it means your department wants you and just needs to find you a college to live in, though track takes a couple of weeks to update. Best of luck to him castle is so nice, I'd feel really bad if he didn't get a place at castle because of me, even though I'll probably reject it if I get an offer from Cambridge.

Which Cambridge college did you apply to? And I see you're going for medicine, best of luck :smile:

Latest