The Student Room Group

Should I drop out?

Hey so I have been at university since September and the first couple of weeks were a laugh and I made some good friends until two of them decided to move out of the halls we were staying in together and go to catered halls half an hour away. Since then, I have found it difficult to make any significant friends as they are all close to their friends form high school or their flatmates. My flatmates are lovely but 3 of them are 3rd year americans and are only staying till CHristmas.

This means I go home quite a lot which isn't ideal but brightens up my rather lonely monotonous weeks.

Also, I don't like the course I am on, I recently got an essay back which I failed miserably and so I have been to speak with my director of studies but she says there are only a few options, 1) to keep studying the courses until 3rd year then swap or 2) to start again in first year next september.

The problem is, I am one of four children and I don't want to put that financial strain of another year of study on my parents.
Also,, I don't really know what I am good at or want to do so I don't know if six months down the line I will hate that course aswell.
I only did five years of school and worked all last year and so part of me feels that I want to go and get a job and start earning money again.
If I don't drop out then I have to study the same course for two more years and I don't know if I will pass them, also at this moment I am really unhappy and want to start enjoying university and I don't want to be this unhappy for the next two years.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated...
Definitely don't drop out of university just due to feeling lonely, it's early days and there are sooo many different ways to meet people at university - housemates, people on your course, clubs and bars (if that's your sort of thing), societies (many of which are explicity designed as a way to meet like-minded people), sports clubs, etc.

As for whether you should drop out due to not enjoying your course, there is not nearly enough information provided to comment. Is your course something that opens doors to lots of jobs (e.g. anything vocational, or anything numerate)? Have you enjoyed parts of your course, or do you dislike all of it? Do you have any idea what you would like to do after graduation, even vaguely? If you really don't like your course, do you have some ideas about what you might do instead?
Reply 2
Hey,
I am studying Philosophy and Economics but I think I should have studied Business Studies. Both these subjects are really academic and I don't know why I applied for them - I did it for the wrong reasons whereas I am a fairly practical person and should have done something more vocational. However I don't really know what I am good at, I got good grades at school without every really liking a subject and now I find everyone else although finding their course hard at least are enjoying aspects. I don't mind doing something challenging but I would like to enjoy the subject and be motivated to learn it.
Thanks for your quick reply though.
Economics isn't exactly a million miles away from business studies, I imagine a large proportion of the jobs you could get into with business studies are also accessible via economics, particularly if you choose the right modules, and are organised and motivated about getting work experience, etc.

As for philosophy, it's probably not something people normally study unless they actually enjoy it, so if you see university chiefly as a route to a career then it's not such a great subject. However, in terms of just being interesting and though-provoking I think philosophy can be a pretty amazing subject - I studied philosophy for about a third of my degree and really enjoyed it.

Also, you probably already know this, but something you should definitely do is talk to a multitude of people for opinions and thoughts, you certainly shouldn't be basing your decision solely on whatever people here say. Apart from anything else, people in real life know you far better than anyone here can do, and so are better placed to comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending