The Student Room Group

what's more respected, a computer sci degree from NOTTINGHAM(not trent) or SURREY?

i got an ABB offer from surrey, BBC from nottingham, AAB from manchester and awaiting KCL reply.

i plan to have kings as my firm (manchester if unsuccessful), but can't decide between surrey or nottingham for my insurance. i only got BCC last year, but think i am capable of getting AAB/ABB. knowing me though, my exam grades always come out worse than i think and i want to be prepared for the worst (hence the BBC offer).

what would you do if you were me?

p.s. i have no idea which one is more respected. i thought nottingham was until i got such a low offer from them

thanks in advance
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Visit them both, which ever you feel most comfortable being in put as your insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by nicatre
Visit them both, which ever you feel most comfortable being in put as your insurance.
yeah but i wanna know which ones more respected so that ill make a better choice init
Reply 4
Original post by irepislam
yeah but i wanna know which ones more respected so that ill make a better choice init

Fair enough, I would still go by feel. You'd be more likely to acheive well and thus impress future employers in a place you feel more comfortable.
Original post by irepislam

They're not vastly different, both are good unis. If you have no personal preference, put Nottingham - respected uni and lowest offer. Gives you a bit more room to go wrong and still get into the uni of your choice.
Reply 6
Well it depends what your after - job prospects: Surrey's employment rate after 6th months is the best in the country, higher than Oxford and Cambridge. The CS dept is pretty high in the tables I think, or it was around the time I was looking anyway. And the university is improving year on year.
Nottingham as a university is way, way, way, way better.

I can't believe people are even comparing them.

Nottingham like giving out lower offers than advertised, simple because they are the sort of uni that does not need to give high offers. It is the same as LSE, an admissions tutor told me that offers dont mean much because the best students (which Notts want) get well above offers anyway, and Notts invariably give lower offers to good applicants so that they pick them. LSE do this as well.

Just compare the grades of the average Nottingham student (AAAa) with that of Surrey.
Reply 8
The grades upon entry mean nothing. It's the grades upon leaving, and the employability rate, that trumps everything. And Surrey is the best in the country with regards to employability.
Reply 9
When I applied I couldn't decide between Surrey or Nottingham for my first choice. In the end I chose Surrey because I prefer the campus, and Surrey is in the top 10 for my subject.

I can't answer any questions about computer sci but if you want you can ask me any other questions about Surrey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending