The Student Room Group

Help me decide please AS/ complete A level in 1 year

Ok so my government gave me a scholorship to study medicine in the UK for getting high grades in the IGCSEs(home studied them) they gave me 2 options to choose from 1)To enter the foundation course 2)To do A-levels and enter directly to medicine course
I chose to enter the foundation course and I'll start next year but am quite worried that the foundation course is hard that'll I'll lose my scholorship so how exactly hard the foundation course is ? Anyways I decided to prepare for it by doing AS/A levels. Do you think it's possible to homestudy 3 a-levels bio,chemistry and maths to do them this june ? if not are AS-levels enough for me not to struggle in the foundation course ? I have a lot of motivation and am willing to dedicate 7 hours of study daily.
If you can't answer all of the question please answer what you know.
I would really appreciate a reply,
Thanks for your time... :biggrin:.
Reply 1
I can help you with them all, I would advise you to teach them yourself seeing that you won't have university everyday. You will have to learn biology and chemistry to A2, for maths you can revise till As. The sciences is what you will be using the most so you need a firm grasp on them.
Reply 2
Original post by Matteeo_56
I can help you with them all, I would advise you to teach them yourself seeing that you won't have university everyday. You will have to learn biology and chemistry to A2, for maths you can revise till As. The sciences is what you will be using the most so you need a firm grasp on them.

I was thinking exactly the same thing I would do maths till AS to make other subjects easier like to understand As/A2 chemistry and so that I don't struggle in foundation year with maths.
I would definately do A-level biology and chemistry because I enjoy those subjects and I would appreciate your help on them.
One more thing please, what books do you recommend for edexcel board ?
Am looking to buy CGP revision guides and edexcel endorsed book. what do you think ?
Thanks a lot. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Matteeo_56

Mate, I quote this from ur recent posts"I did horrible on my GCSEs only attaining 1b and the rest are C's and D's I know I screwed up and my dream of dentistry has been thrashed". How exactly are you going to help me with you having "horrible" grades at gcse :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by I.Need.Help
Ok so my government gave me a scholorship to study medicine in the UK for getting high grades in the IGCSEs(home studied them) they gave me 2 options to choose from 1)To enter the foundation course 2)To do A-levels and enter directly to medicine course
I chose to enter the foundation course and I'll start next year but am quite worried that the foundation course is hard that'll I'll lose my scholorship so how exactly hard the foundation course is ? Anyways I decided to prepare for it by doing AS/A levels. Do you think it's possible to homestudy 3 a-levels bio,chemistry and maths to do them this june ? if not are AS-levels enough for me not to struggle in the foundation course ? I have a lot of motivation and am willing to dedicate 7 hours of study daily.
If you can't answer all of the question please answer what you know.
I would really appreciate a reply,
Thanks for your time... :biggrin:.

Wait, are you guaranteed entrance into the foundation course for medicine?

I've done bot IGCSE's and A-levels in one year (AS+A2, they are called intensive A-levels), so I can answer some of your questions :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by In2deep
Wait, are you guaranteed entrance into the foundation course for medicine?

I've done bot IGCSE's and A-levels in one year (AS+A2, they are called intensive A-levels), so I can answer some of your questions :colondollar:

Yea am 100% sure ! :biggrin:
Did you home study your A-levels or did you go to school?
Also what books did you find useful ?
Thanks. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Yea am 100% sure ! :biggrin:
Did you home study your A-levels or did you go to school?
Also what books did you find useful ?
Thanks. :smile:

Is this in the UK? Which Medical school?

I did my intensive A-levels in a college, the books by the exam board you are doing are always a good bet. For example, Edexcel Books for A-level Mathematics (Edexcel syllabus) and OCR Biology for the relevant exams and so on..
Reply 7
Original post by In2deep
Is this in the UK? Which Medical school?

I did my intensive A-levels in a college, the books by the exam board you are doing are always a good bet. For example, Edexcel Books for A-level Mathematics (Edexcel syllabus) and OCR Biology for the relevant exams and so on..

Yes its in the UK i have till March to choose from Manchester,leeds,liverpool or Dundee.
I also will do UKcat in the summer.
Could you please tell me how did you prepare for it ?
Reply 8
Yes its in the UK i have till March to choose from Manchester,leeds,liverpool or Dundee.
I also will do UKcat in the summer.
Could you please tell me how did you prepare for it ?

What?! Do you somehow have an unconditional at all these medical schools? Even if it for the foundation course, it's still extremely unlikely.

I think you have a very wrong conception of how the application for Medical school work here in the UK. What you are telling doesn't make sense at all.

Help me so I can help you:

- When are you starting Medical school, which year; 2011 or 2010?

- If it is for 2011 have you sent off your UCAS application yet?

- Which country are you from and what subject did you take in your IGCSE's and what are your grades?
Reply 9
Original post by In2deep
What?! Do you somehow have an unconditional at all these medical schools? Even if it for the foundation course, it's still extremely unlikely.

I think you have a very wrong conception of how the application for Medical school work here in the UK. What you are telling doesn't make sense at all.

Help me so I can help you:

- When are you starting Medical school, which year; 2011 or 2010?

- If it is for 2011 have you sent off your UCAS application yet?

- Which country are you from and what subject did you take in your IGCSE's and what are your grades?

Well am actually confused too in how things work, but my government employees are the ones that are taking care of my application they are the ones that contact the university so I have no reason to worry about it,
If I've got the acceptance of the university by myself they would've gave a premium scholorship, I'll start my foundation course at year 2011-2012 I'll most probably start in january because they told me the procedure takes long time (UK in particular), I got 8 A*s bio,chemistry,maths,physics,arabic,english,geography and french.
Reply 10
Well am actually confused too in how things work, but my government employees are the ones that are taking care of my application they are the ones that contact the university so I have no reason to worry about it,
If I've got the acceptance of the university by myself they would've gave a premium scholorship, I'll start my foundation course at year 2011-2012 I'll most probably start in january because they told me the procedure takes long time (UK in particular), I got 8 A*s bio,chemistry,maths,physics,arabic,english,geography and french.

This all sounds way over my head :s-smilie: Government officials will deal with it?

Well, anyways they only advice I would give you is make sure you do January exams if you decide to take the intensive A-level route. Trying to do 16/20 paper in June is deffo not ideal.

Whatever you do, good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by In2deep
This all sounds way over my head :s-smilie: Government officials will deal with it?

Well, anyways they only advice I would give you is make sure you do January exams if you decide to take the intensive A-level route. Trying to do 16/20 paper in June is deffo not ideal.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Thanks mate, I'll do bio and chemistry at A-level and maths at AS this year.
And yea my government officials would take care of it, hard to explain really especially when they don't give you brief answers.

Quick Reply

Latest