Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The hypocrisy of religion

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    :erm:

I suck at religion . So I would rather not say.

I read something like evolution is generally accepted in Islam, but only for organisms other than humans. Humans were specifically created by God and they are not evolved from monkeys, etc. :dontknow:
    You do realise evolution doesn't state humans evolved from monkeys? That's a common misconception.

**Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans are more closely related to modern apes than to monkeys, but we didn't evolve from apes, either. Humans share a common ancestor with modern African apes, like gorillas and chimpanzees. Scientists believe this common ancestor existed 5 to 8 million years ago. Shortly thereafter, the species diverged into two separate lineages. One of these lineages ultimately evolved into gorillas and chimps, and the other evolved into early human ancestors called hominids.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/li...faq/cat02.html
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    So, it seems that quite a few of the religious masses like to mock science at every oppurtunity. They call Darwin a fraud and aim the criticism of "playing God" to any Scientist who dares do any research relating to altering Human or animal life.

It seems strange then that so many religious people take benefit from the fruits of science's labour. They pop pills when they're feeling ill, get rushed to Hospital when they're struck down by some illness or disease and generally have a far higher standard of living than say Jesus or Mohammed would have had, all thanks to Science.

Why do they not trust their fate to God? Surely he has the power to cure you if he deems that you should live longer. Surely, even if you are unfortunate to die on this plane of existance, you get to chill out in eternity in Heaven anyway. What need do you have for medicine? It seems like you're edging your bets somewhat.

I suppose a similar scenario would be if an atheist secretly went to church and prayed to God every night, just in case religion turned out to be right.

What are your thoughts on this?
    "Many" religions? You've named two, and there are far more than that in the world. This post is rather crap. I give you 2/10.

I don't know any religion that mocks science either, I do know religious people who do, but that's nothing to do with the religion itself. Silly OP.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 20, 2010
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.