The Student Room Group

TSR trend of academics in sig?

Why do people put their academic achievements (and some in great detail) in their sig? I understand with having UCAS in their to meet other prospective applicants, but it just seems odd why so many of you do it. Care to shed light?

Scroll to see replies

lots of reasons.
i used to have them all in my sig, got lots of PMs off people asking how hard i thought certain subjects were, if i could help them out with stuff. if my (relatively low GCSE) grades were an issue getting into the university i'm at.
people asked me what interviews were like, if i could them prepare for interview etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
tsr is an academic forum, if people's grades make you feel bad gtfo
Reply 3
It's not a recent trent, been like that for the last three or four years.
Reply 4
Because they want everyone to know how incredibly clever they think they are.
Exactly the reason for my sig
U jealous? :ahee:
Reply 7
'Oh look at me everyone, with my twenty A*s and my offer's from Cambridge and Oxford and Harvard. Aren't I incredibly clever? Oh, what's with? A thread about Asian men liking white women?'
Reply 8
Because they worked hard for the grades and want to show them off? It's the TSR equivalent of having a ferrari, for example lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
No I'm not jealous, I just don't feel a need for putting them in my signature.
Reply 10
Their choice
Reply 11
I used to until I realised that no-one gave a toss.

But meh, it's a student forum. It's inevitable that members are going to use their signatures for ego-boosting, grade bragging purposes.

Don't like it? Well then ignore it, or neg rep them or something.
Reply 12
I don't not like it, I just find it odd :/
It's a student forum, students get grades, lots of people want to know what grades you got for various reasons in certain threads- it's easier just to put them in rather than having to answer the same questions over and over again.
Reply 14
Like on a computer-focused forum where people put their computer rig setups in their signature, so do the users of TSR with their grades. Most people put them in spoilers. I don't see what the problem is.
Reply 15
Cheers guys, I guess it's all in context of TSR, anywhere else and it would be odd :P

But don't get me wrong, I really don't have an issue with it, I just found it odd.
it re-enforces their sense of self-worth
Because it's all they have.
because they've mistaken memorising the syllabus for a bunch of exams as intelligence, maybe.
Reply 19
TSR = The Student Room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending