The Student Room Group

Download 2011 - System of a Down and Linkin Park to headline

The line up as it stands so far:

So System of a Down are reforming and playing their only UK 2011 show headlining Download festival!
Linkin Park are also headlining, and Avenged Sevenfold and Rob Zombie have also been announced.

Early bird tickets go on sale Friday 3rd December (1st December for Vodafone customers, 2nd December presale for Download subscribers) until 20th December, £180 for 5 day camping + arena ticket.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If they have been listening to the public at all then they will have booked at least one of Machine Head, SOAD, A7X and Iron Maiden as a headliner

Go to the DL forums under 'Rumours and Wishlists' then 'Rumours'. There's a comprehensive overview of rumours and self-announcements.

Original post by hobo06
-
Reply 2
Original post by 69Crazyfists
If they have been listening to the public at all then they will have booked at least one of Machine Head, SOAD, A7X and Iron Maiden as a headliner

Go to the DL forums under 'Rumours and Wishlists' then 'Rumours'. There's a comprehensive overview of rumours and self-announcements.

Listening to the public is one thing, but actually being able to book the bands is another. Of those I'd say Machine Head and A7X are most likely. System I genuinely think won't be back together next year (though it would be a bloody nice surprise!) and Maiden have their own UK tour, I doubt they would play Download too, plus having headlined Soni last year, would Andy really want to book them the very next year? It's not impossible I suppose though.

Yeh I've had a look at the rumours thread there the other day, don't remember any mention of the above bands though. I'm seeing Maiden next year anyway, and saw A7X on tour with Stone Sour, so the only one I would love to see is System!

Edit: Just saw the SOAD thread on the forums, well I could be wrong there...I hope it's true!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by hobo06
Listening to the public is one thing, but actually being able to book the bands is another. Of those I'd say Machine Head and A7X are most likely. System I genuinely think won't be back together next year (though it would be a bloody nice surprise!) and Maiden have their own UK tour, I doubt they would play Download too, plus having headlined Soni last year, would Andy really want to book them the very next year? It's not impossible I suppose though.

Yeh I've had a look at the rumours thread there the other day, don't remember any mention of the above bands though. I'm seeing Maiden next year anyway, and saw A7X on tour with Stone Sour, so the only one I would love to see is System!

Edit: Just saw the SOAD thread on the forums, well I could be wrong there...I hope it's true!

There are hardly ever rumours of headliners. Last year was a bit of an exception with AC/DC and RATM, but most people guessed at Soundgarden headlining, not Aerosmith.

I couldn't care less if SOAD play. Actually I could, they would taking the spot of someone I want to play. I can certainly see Machine Head getting a headline spot. Whether they book both A7X and Machine Head though... I think they both appeal to the same crowd and Copping loves to put out 3 headliners which are completely different. Once again last year was an exception.

Maiden aren't particularly in demand, just as much as every year really, so chances are not them.

Honestly, I'm hoping for Machine Head, A7X and Black Label Society.
Reply 4
I'm just hoping i'll be able to go this year, I have a really bad feeling that an exam will clash :s-smilie:
Reply 5
There are hardly ever rumours of headliners. Last year was a bit of an exception with AC/DC and RATM, but most people guessed at Soundgarden headlining, not Aerosmith.

I couldn't care less if SOAD play. Actually I could, they would taking the spot of someone I want to play. I can certainly see Machine Head getting a headline spot. Whether they book both A7X and Machine Head though... I think they both appeal to the same crowd and Copping loves to put out 3 headliners which are completely different. Once again last year was an exception.

Maiden aren't particularly in demand, just as much as every year really, so chances are not them.

Honestly, I'm hoping for Machine Head, A7X and Black Label Society.

Are Black Label Society big enough to Headline? Tbf I don't know much about them. Last year was my 1st Download, I suppose the bands aren't always as massive as last year?

Soundgarden, I forgot about them. Probably a safe bet they will play either Reading/Leeds or Download...at least I'm hoping they will! Though I'd be happy seeing Chris Cornell in whatever form...an acoustic solo set at Download could go down well.

On the subject of excellent vocalists, apparently Myles Kennedy may be doing the vocals for the whole of Slash's next album. That would be pretty awesome! I'd love to see Slash back in a higher slot next year too, sub, or 3rd main stage at least.
Think I'm moving away from rumours and more to my own hopes now though.

Original post by LouLou815
I'm just hoping i'll be able to go this year, I have a really bad feeling that an exam will clash :s-smilie:

Get someone to pitch your tent and come straight after your exam :p:

Early bird tickets go on sale 3rd December 9am. And we're due an official announcement 29th November. Do they usually announce any bands around the time of the early bird tickets? We're expected to know the headliners before Christmas (assuming Andy does confirm the 3rd headliner today...there's been nothing on his Twitter for a couple of days, so I'm guessing he's over seas for it or something), I can't see what else this announcement could be. Apparently there is also a main stage sub and 2nd stage headliner already confirmed.
Original post by hobo06
Are Black Label Society big enough to Headline? Tbf I don't know much about them. Last year was my 1st Download, I suppose the bands aren't always as massive as last year?

Soundgarden, I forgot about them. Probably a safe bet they will play either Reading/Leeds or Download...at least I'm hoping they will! Though I'd be happy seeing Chris Cornell in whatever form...an acoustic solo set at Download could go down well.

On the subject of excellent vocalists, apparently Myles Kennedy may be doing the vocals for the whole of Slash's next album. That would be pretty awesome! I'd love to see Slash back in a higher slot next year too, sub, or 3rd main stage at least.
Think I'm moving away from rumours and more to my own hopes now though.

Early bird tickets go on sale 3rd December 9am. And we're due an official announcement 29th November. Do they usually announce any bands around the time of the early bird tickets? We're expected to know the headliners before Christmas (assuming Andy does confirm the 3rd headliner today...there's been nothing on his Twitter for a couple of days, so I'm guessing he's over seas for it or something), I can't see what else this announcement could be. Apparently there is also a main stage sub and 2nd stage headliner already confirmed.

Last year was a bit of a farce really. They spent all their money on AC/DC. Aerosmith were only there because it was the 30th anniversary... I don't anyone who wanted them. '09 was very good though. I can't really imagine a better stage than Saturday Main '09. Actually Sunday Second '09 was pretty awesome.
I'd say Black Label Society are Sunday headline material. Zakk Wylde has a huge following. They've just released their 8th album.

I'm hoping that they actually book a good handful of decent metal acts this year. DL seem to be afraid of booking any Melodeath, Power Metal or good Prog Metal.

There aren't any good festivals in England for those subgenres. ProgPower doesn't come to the UK anymore, Sonisphere is pretty much classic and thrash and Bloodstock is more Death Metal... C'mon DL, pull your finger out.

I don't think we've ever had a line-up announcement before Christmas before...
Reply 7
Last year was a bit of a farce really. They spent all their money on AC/DC. Aerosmith were only there because it was the 30th anniversary... I don't anyone who wanted them. '09 was very good though. I can't really imagine a better stage than Saturday Main '09. Actually Sunday Second '09 was pretty awesome.
I'd say Black Label Society are Sunday headline material. Zakk Wylde has a huge following. They've just released their 8th album.

I'm hoping that they actually book a good handful of decent metal acts this year. DL seem to be afraid of booking any Melodeath, Power Metal or good Prog Metal.

There aren't any good festivals in England for those subgenres. ProgPower doesn't come to the UK anymore, Sonisphere is pretty much classic and thrash and Bloodstock is more Death Metal... C'mon DL, pull your finger out.

I don't think we've ever had a line-up announcement before Christmas before...

Yeh I wish I'd gone to Download in '09. Line up was certainly much better than this year! But I didn't really know anyone then that would have liked to go. This year I just braved going alone, met an awesome group of people (who also went up alone, but we all ended up together), no doubt I'll be seeing them again next year, or at least those that go. And I've also met a few guys on a couple of work projects this year who I joined at Reading and a couple of other gigs this year. So I no longer need to worry about who I'm going with.

Fair enough for Black Label Society, didn't realise they'd been around so long, just heard the name here and there.

England does really lack in festivals...although that's kind of a good thing, for me money-wise at least! The curfews are another problem with them though, 11pm is ridiculous compared to mainland Europe!

Hmm perhaps it will be nothing to do with line up then...maybe an announcement as to when to expect the line up announcement :dontknow: I thought I read somewhere about headliners being announced before the end of the year/christmas...but I probably just misread this tweet:
Please...any specific questions about bands being announced, ticket prices, RIP, length of time for early birds etc will be answered Nov 29

and got confused by earlier tweets about early bird tickets being on sale before the end of the year.

Well we'll just have to wait and see.

On another note...I just noticed your name is Rory. This is probably a long shot, but would be really weird if it is you...last year one of the people who I drove up to Download was named Rory, lived in Maidstone. I drove him and his girlfriend Justine up. Probably just a coincidence, but thought I'd mention it
Original post by hobo06
Yeh I wish I'd gone to Download in '09. Line up was certainly much better than this year! But I didn't really know anyone then that would have liked to go. This year I just braved going alone, met an awesome group of people (who also went up alone, but we all ended up together), no doubt I'll be seeing them again next year, or at least those that go. And I've also met a few guys on a couple of work projects this year who I joined at Reading and a couple of other gigs this year. So I no longer need to worry about who I'm going with.

Fair enough for Black Label Society, didn't realise they'd been around so long, just heard the name here and there.

England does really lack in festivals...although that's kind of a good thing, for me money-wise at least! The curfews are another problem with them though, 11pm is ridiculous compared to mainland Europe!

Hmm perhaps it will be nothing to do with line up then...maybe an announcement as to when to expect the line up announcement :dontknow: I thought I read somewhere about headliners being announced before the end of the year/christmas...but I probably just misread this tweet:

and got confused by earlier tweets about early bird tickets being on sale before the end of the year.

Well we'll just have to wait and see.

On another note...I just noticed your name is Rory. This is probably a long shot, but would be really weird if it is you...last year one of the people who I drove up to Download was named Rory, lived in Maidstone. I drove him and his girlfriend Justine up. Probably just a coincidence, but thought I'd mention it

Hmm well I didn't go last year, so no, not me. And I don't know many guys called Rory in Maidstone, there's only a handful. Do you know his surname? And is this your Justine from Maidstone?

I was planning to go again last year but exams ruined my plans. Looking back, I'm glad. Friday looked poor as did Sunday.

The 11pm curfew wasn't a problem I didn't think at least... More time for the night-time after-party!

I went with 5 friends in '09. It was the worst time to find out that
1) your friends are selfish ****wits
2) epilepsy doesn't mix with neat vodka
Reply 9
Hmm well I didn't go last year, so no, not me. And I don't know many guys called Rory in Maidstone, there's only a handful. Do you know his surname? And is this your Justine from Maidstone?

I was planning to go again last year but exams ruined my plans. Looking back, I'm glad. Friday looked poor as did Sunday.

The 11pm curfew wasn't a problem I didn't think at least... More time for the night-time after-party!

I went with 5 friends in '09. It was the worst time to find out that
1) your friends are selfish ****wits
2) epilepsy doesn't mix with neat vodka

That is indeed her. And it was a guy called Rory Petts...though they're not together anymore. And I haven't really spoken to either of them since.

That's true, after Stone Sour on the Sunday night I went and met the people I was camped with and we sat in the shisha tent into the early hours of the morning, chatting to random people as they came and went. Was a pretty cool end to the festival
Original post by hobo06
That is indeed her. And it was a guy called Rory Petts...though they're not together anymore. And I haven't really spoken to either of them since.

That's true, after Stone Sour on the Sunday night I went and met the people I was camped with and we sat in the shisha tent into the early hours of the morning, chatting to random people as they came and went. Was a pretty cool end to the festival

I don't know him...
I was pretty much dead on Sunday. I had what could only be described as ultimate sunburn and the largest hangover I will ever experience ever ever. I fell asleep during Def Leppard at the top of the hill.

One year, I swear I'm just going to go off to Wacken though.
Reply 11
Yeah, if I have exams i'll just meet people there!

Also, Wacken is a must do at some point. Went in 2008 and it was fantastic. Travelling there is annoying though.
Yeah, if I have exams i'll just meet people there!

Also, Wacken is a must do at some point. Went in 2008 and it was fantastic. Travelling there is annoying though.

Very envious indeed. Just looked at the '08 line-up. Kamelot, Mercenary, Soilwork, CoB, Opeth, Avantasia, Sonata Arctica, KsE, A7X, Iron Maiden, At The Gates(I thought they split years ago!?)!! That's the sort of line-up I dream that Download could get.
Reply 13
Very envious indeed. Just looked at the '08 line-up. Kamelot, Mercenary, Soilwork, CoB, Opeth, Avantasia, Sonata Arctica, KsE, A7X, Iron Maiden, At The Gates(I thought they split years ago!?)!! That's the sort of line-up I dream that Download could get.

It was an amazing line up and such a great weekend. Very fun and friendly atmosphere :smile: At the Gates (dunno if they DID split) were a highlight of the fest, nearly saw them a 2nd time a few months later at BOA, but ended up leaving early on Saturday morning as I was too ill to enjoy it!

Edit: I'm actually still wearing my WoA festival band as ickky as that sounds. Best made wristband i've ever had from a festival!
(edited 13 years ago)
It was an amazing line up and such a great weekend. Very fun and friendly atmosphere :smile: At the Gates (dunno if they DID split) were a highlight of the fest, nearly saw them a 2nd time a few months later at BOA, but ended up leaving early on Saturday morning as I was too ill to enjoy it!

Edit: I'm actually still wearing my WoA festival band as ickky as that sounds. Best made wristband i've ever had from a festival!

You went to BOA '08? Just checked the lineup and that is my favourite BOA lineup that I've seen so far. Problem is that I didn't like the same stuff back then so technically I didn't miss out. But 2010 Me loves that line up.

That does show some commitment. I took my DL one off after 3 months and it's pinned up above my bed with a huge mess of gig tickets and other crap from the DL weekend like the guide book that all the staff are issued with (I got lost on the way to Orange so one of them gave me their's)
Reply 15
SYSTEM OF A DOWN's much-rumored comeback/reunion tour is expected to be announced on Monday, November 29, along with details of several European festival appearances in 2011, including the U.K.'s Download.

When asked by a fan via Twitter if there is any truth to reports that SYSTEM OF A DOWN will play next year's Download festival, SYSTEM bassist Shavo Odadjian replied, "Stay tuned."

Download festival organizer Andy Copping revealed that Download 2011 early-bird tickets will go on sale on December 3. Writing on his Twitter, Copping said, "Christmas comes early! Download 2011 early bird tickets on sale 9 a.m. Friday 3rd December 2010. There will be more Download info [on November 29]. Please…any specific questions about bands being announced, ticket prices, RIP, length of time for early birds etc. will be answered November 29."

I'd take a guess at System Of A Down, Ozzy & Soundgarden being headliners.
Reply 16

With Sunday being usually a Classic Rock headliner then there would be very few other bands bigger than Aerosmith do that.
Original post by Devel
With Sunday being usually a Classic Rock headliner then there would be very few other bands bigger than Aerosmith do that.

You mean like Lostprophets? They only really implemented the idea of a Classic Rock Sunday in '09, so I wouldn't say 'usually'.
Although I guess they did try and get Led Zep, but they turned them down, so Aerosmith had to make do.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
You mean like Lostprophets? They only really implemented the idea of a Classic Rock Sunday in '09, so I wouldn't say 'usually'.
Although I guess they did try and get Led Zep, but they turned them down, so Aerosmith had to make do.

Everyone tries to get Led Zeppelin, I would guess he tried again this year. No one really expects to get them thou. Aerosmith was an awesome choice if it was a Classic Rock day or not. If you get an headliner that has sold over a 150 million albums worldwide then you've done a good job.
Original post by Devel
Everyone tries to get Led Zeppelin, I would guess he tried again this year. No one really expects to get them thou. Aerosmith was an awesome choice if it was a Classic Rock day or not. If you get an headliner that has sold over a 150 million albums worldwide then you've done a good job.

Yeah you're right...
I'll be honest, I just really hate Steven Tyler. He's a prize ****. Not just that, I don't see the appeal in Aerosmith's music. I get that they have a huge fan base but I (and no-one else I know) am not one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest