The Student Room Group

Mocks - I want a straight answer

Right, I have my Mock GCSE exams in a fortnight and I am very worried. I have revised and I am hoping i'll do well, but I feel I have not had the time to revise completely and there is still a lot I haven't covered.

So, I am wondering, do the college take mocks into consideration? My predicted grades are all A/A* and I am scared that because I have not had time to revise throughly and will obviously not perform to the best of my ability, the college will be sent 'okay' grades and use them as a basis to decide if I should get a place in college. My teachers keep saying that the mocks are VERY important, but I don't know if they really mean it, or they are just saying that to encourage people to revise.

Help?
Reply 1
Noi they don't no one does well in mocks. And they have no bearing on your real exams no matter what your school tells you
Original post by Aj12
Noi they don't no one does well in mocks. And they have no bearing on your real exams no matter what your school tells you

Actually if you can't attend the exam for whatever reason, and the exam board officially let you off, then they can use your mock results. Which is why it's always important you do your absolute best in mocks....just in case
LOL. GCSE mocks. ****ING POINTLESS.

May aswell sit at home do a timed past paper.
Reply 4
Pointless, was predicted like 2 A*'s or something silly, then look in my signature.
Reply 5
I was predicted A*/As and got mainly As and Bs in my mocks, yet my school still sent off the original prediction to college. They know you're not going to be at the standard you'll be in the summer quite yet, so don't worry!
Reply 6
Colleges tend to care more about your predicted grades so mock results don't really matter. However if something happened to you in the real exam period, then your mocks will be used to give you a grade.
I'm predicted like 1 A*. Even though I got 90%+ in all but three of my modular exams in last year...
Reply 8
Well in my mocks for GCSE, I recall getting CCDDDE, but to be fair I had done no revision. I ended up getting 9 GCSE's, AABBBBCCC at the end of year 11. To be honest, nobody ever really tries hard for mocks, they just don't matter that much.
Reply 9
Original post by KimonoMyHouse
Right, I have my Mock GCSE exams in a fortnight and I am very worried. I have revised and I am hoping i'll do well, but I feel I have not had the time to revise completely and there is still a lot I haven't covered.

So, I am wondering, do the college take mocks into consideration? My predicted grades are all A/A* and I am scared that because I have not had time to revise throughly and will obviously not perform to the best of my ability, the college will be sent 'okay' grades and use them as a basis to decide if I should get a place in college. My teachers keep saying that the mocks are VERY important, but I don't know if they really mean it, or they are just saying that to encourage people to revise.

Help?

My school told us to treat the mocks possibly even more importantly than the official exams, because they use the mock results to decide weather or not the teachers thought we would do well enough to cope with continuing the subject at A Level/IB. Although they were only provisional, and were likely to change if we underperformed in the real thing, our timetable for this year was based on our choices in January of Year 11.

Also, as I think somebody mentioned upthread... if for whatever reason you are unable to attend the official exam, providing the exam board believe why you couldn't be there, then they use your Mock results instead.

It's always best to give both your Mock Exams and the Real exams your full attention. If you get the feeling that you haven't revised enough for your mocks (which I did), then you need to start revising for the real exams as soon as you get back from Christmas (which I didn't. Had I done so, I'm sure my results would have been so much better!)

Good Luck!
They are actually quite important because sixth forms will judge you on either your Acquired/Mock or Predicted grades and if you get good results in your mock, that could reflect on your possible future grades also
Reply 11
Tbh predicted grades don't prove anything. If you get predicted an A in maths it doesn't mean your going to get an A in your final GCSE. Mocks are really important as they will determine whether you are put in for foundation or higher tier. Even if you are being predicted all A/A* but u muck up on mocks your teachers will rethink the tier to put you in. If you do better in your mocks than your predicted grade they might redo your predicted grade. It just shows that if you can't cope with mocks how can you cope with the final GCSE's.
Original post by vdoto
Tbh predicted grades don't prove anything. If you get predicted an A in maths it doesn't mean your going to get an A in your final GCSE. Mocks are really important as they will determine whether you are put in for foundation or higher tier. Even if you are being predicted all A/A* but u muck up on mocks your teachers will rethink the tier to put you in. If you do better in your mocks than your predicted grade they might redo your predicted grade. It just shows that if you can't cope with mocks how can you cope with the final GCSE's.

I got an E in my English Lang mock and in the real thing I was 2 or 3 marks overall from an A so it shows doing bad on mocks doesn't mean u can't cope on final GCSEs.
Reply 13
My mocks start in 2 days I haven't revised as much as I would have liked to but hey I don't have a time machine so yea tbh I rrly wanted to ace em but I took advantage of them. :frown: So yeah try the best u can but remember they dont matter as much as ur real ones. I'm pulling a all-nighter rn coz got school tomoz need to get organised....
My mocks start in 2 days I haven't revised as much as I would have liked to but hey I don't have a time machine so yea tbh I rrly wanted to ace em but I took advantage of them. :frown: So yeah try the best u can but remember they dont matter as much as ur real ones. I'm pulling a all-nighter rn coz got school tomoz need to get organised....
Reply 15
I have just completed my mocks, and now I'm FREAKING OUT!!!I always think I would do really good in my exams but now that I'm getting my results soon for mocks, I'm scared because I think i may have done bad and that I didn't do what I needed to do during the exam period. Help?
Original post by KimonoMyHouse

Help?

In my opinion mocks are very important but not to your college or school. They should be important to you. They reflect your attitude and approach to education. If you can get good and the principles of exams (effective revision, sleeping patterns, keep a cool head etc.) you will excel beyond your capabilities when it comes to the exams. Your teachers genuinely want the best for you so take their advice and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Keep at it, work hard and do your best, no one can ask for anything more.

Good luck
Original post by Jack Harvey
In my opinion mocks are very important but not to your college or school. They should be important to you. They reflect your attitude and approach to education. If you can get good and the principles of exams (effective revision, sleeping patterns, keep a cool head etc.) you will excel beyond your capabilities when it comes to the exams. Your teachers genuinely want the best for you so take their advice and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Keep at it, work hard and do your best, no one can ask for anything more.

Good luck

Good luck for which mocks exams? This was posted eight years ago LMAO.
Original post by tehforum
Pointless, was predicted like 2 A*'s or something silly, then look in my signature.

hdsgj
Original post by FTstudies
Well in my mocks for GCSE, I recall getting CCDDDE, but to be fair I had done no revision. I ended up getting 9 GCSE's, AABBBBCCC at the end of year 11. To be honest, nobody ever really tries hard for mocks, they just don't matter that much.

mjkojmjn

Quick Reply

Latest