The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Is that definitely the right site? It looks a bit odd to me. The 'application form' is a google doc, and the website is powered by wordpress. I don't know - something just strikes me as a bit weird, though maybe it's just me.

When you search ngdp the website that comes up at the top is this one: http://www.ngdp.co.uk/default.aspx which still has last year's info.

EDIT: I guess it probably is the right site. But I can't say I'm too impressed by the application - seems a bit amateur to not even have their own application system.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 241
Trust me it is the site and the right application. I spoke with Ami Beeton herself! I don't know why they just updated last years as it would make much more sense. It does seem very basic, but hey I am proof the scheme works (at least til the Interview Stage anyway).

She also said they're working on re-direction when one searches for the website, but you'd think this would be one of the first things they'd do...

Budget cuts must be really bad, there isn't even a phone number...but if you do have a deep desire to ring them I'd search through the Local Government Association Website and go from there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 242
It seems odd why they can't re-use the old website and just edit the dates around... anyway as you were saying I expect competition to be big this year...thank god Im already working in Local Govt.
Reply 243
Has anyone who has completed the form had any sort of confirmation from the NGDP? I submitted it on monday and havn't heard anything off them. Plus there isn't anywhere where you can log in to check or anything. I am starting to panic I mispealt my email address or something :/
Original post by Willowi
Has anyone who has completed the form had any sort of confirmation from the NGDP? I submitted it on monday and havn't heard anything off them. Plus there isn't anywhere where you can log in to check or anything. I am starting to panic I mispealt my email address or something :/

No I haven't either! Seems a bit odd
Reply 245
I have sent off a form and have received no confirmation either!
Reply 246
I emailed them to check if this was normal and recieved this reply:

Thank you for letting me know. We have had a few problems with the website but I will make a note and we will get back to you if there has been a problem

Thank you for showing an interest in the ngdp.

Best wishes

The ngdp team

so I guess we should assume they have got the applications :s
Reply 247
There only appears to be a word limit for one of the questions - have people just assumed about 250 words for all of them?
Reply 248
It was about 250 words last year, I'd stick to a set limit, although if unsure drop them an email. They did have a phone number, although Im not sure what happened to it this time round. Getting hold of Ami Beeton would be a bonus, but I think they prefer to do a lot of work via email. Im happy to answer questions on the application process.
Hi everyone.

I'm going to write and send my application this week, and I was wondering how would be best to go about my situation. I have work experience with my local MP (Labour) and during that time I saw and spoke to local councillors quite a bit, which is obviously going to be useful to my application. Also, though, I've been active within the Labour Party and Labour Students and resultantly went to the party conference last year... I feel like these are all relevant things to put in my application, but is it a bad thing to show your allegiance to a particular party in the application form or not? I feel like it'd be really hard (if not impossible) for me to describe all that work experience without it being obvious that I'm a Labour member, but I'm not sure what the NGDP's stance is on partisan applications and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
I declared party political work experience and got on the scheme so it won't preclude you. Important how you phrase it though.
Reply 251
Hi All,

I'm currently working in local government as a senior environmental health officer. I started with the NGDP about 4 years ago and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions of my life. The opportunities that this program gives you are incredible; I don't think I would be on the wage I am now doing a job I love in any other work area.

Anyway, if any of you want to ask any questions about working in local government or the scheme, please let me know.

One piece of advice I will give is starting preparing for applications, interviews and assessments early. Try and find someone who works in local government to give you some coaching -- that's what I did and it helped enormously.

Best of luck with your applications,
Mark
Sent off my application a couple of days ago :smile: I've just read back and noticed that the telephone interview stage has been cut, so do those who have their application form approved get straight through to an assessment centre?
Reply 253
Good Luck with the application. My phone interview kicked off round about late-mid January. Although when I read the website I was unsure why they cut it. They used to have an enquries line last year where you could speak to someone about all the NGDP stuff, but it's gone. I suppose you can only sit and wait really...although try finding a contact on the LGA (Local Government Association Website) and someone there might be able to help you. Ami Beeton is the big dawg at the top, but she must get a ton of calls relating to the NGDP....
Finally submitted my app. Looks like it's going to be a long wait as the confirmation I got said they would let everyone know by the 10th march.

Has anyone else applied for the separate schemes run by Essex and heartfordshire? They were the only two independent schemes I've come across and I've applied to both in the hope of widening my chances. I am honestly happy to work anywhere in the country just so long as I can get a job and local government is where I really want to be.
Reply 255
It'll come quickly. I applied to the Essex one, but in all fairness I'd rather work for a Local Authority in London. Hertfordshire would of been a stab to do, but I missed the date. Im looking at schemes informally run by local councils, one in Norfolk and another in London where I've emailed contacts etc.

The NGDP does take long, but March will come fast. Still happy to answer questions on the recruitment process.
Reply 256
Original post by coolh5000
Finally submitted my app. Looks like it's going to be a long wait as the confirmation I got said they would let everyone know by the 10th march.

Did you get a confirmation email? Or do you just mean the on screen confirmation?

And no I wasn't even aware that there were local schemes, but then I am looking for something in the West Midlands, and I know Birmingham don't do anything. O well too late now!
Original post by Willowi
Did you get a confirmation email? Or do you just mean the on screen confirmation?

And no I wasn't even aware that there were local schemes, but then I am looking for something in the West Midlands, and I know Birmingham don't do anything. O well too late now!

I got an email. I did apply very late though (day before the deadline) so it could be that they only managed to set up their auto-reply late on.
Original post by rainbow drops
Hi everyone.

I'm going to write and send my application this week, and I was wondering how would be best to go about my situation. I have work experience with my local MP (Labour) and during that time I saw and spoke to local councillors quite a bit, which is obviously going to be useful to my application. Also, though, I've been active within the Labour Party and Labour Students and resultantly went to the party conference last year... I feel like these are all relevant things to put in my application, but is it a bad thing to show your allegiance to a particular party in the application form or not? I feel like it'd be really hard (if not impossible) for me to describe all that work experience without it being obvious that I'm a Labour member, but I'm not sure what the NGDP's stance is on partisan applications and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. :s-smilie:

I applied with partisan work experience and a Student Union position in my CV and got on so wouldn't worry too much. Feel free to PM.
Reply 259
Hey guys. I recently applied to NGDP too, but quite late- Jan 9th, only a week before the final deadline. My confirmation email also said that shortlisting would be by March 10th. Haven't heard anything so far, but I'm wondering if it is normally by phone they reply or is it email? Worried about missing a call if it's by phone.

On the political question, I'm also active in partisan politics (Labour) and I did stress some of the experiences I've gained and responsibilities I've had from it, but I also tried to play down my specific affiliation and make clear I can be unbiased.

I'm happy with the application I submitted, though I will need to put time aside in the next few weeks to start preparing properly ahead of March.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending