The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
There maybe an 'interview part' at the assessment centre, who knows really. It depends what they have planned. Also for anyone wanting a career in local govt, I found this blog to be an excellent read:

http://welovelocalgovernment.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/advice-for-the-newbies/#comments
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 321
I doubt that in such a tight time slot, they would have time for the 2 hour task plus interviewing everyone...it seems very unlikely logistically as well as according to the general theme of the email and website information.
Original post by Vanilla*Pod
I agree. Yet people were questioning if there was an interview at the first AC stage and I'm assuming the quote from the website I gave clarifies that there probably isn't.

I had read the website, thank you :rolleyes: I was just wondering why there was a section of the e-mail we received about the first AC that discussed interviews, that's all. I assume it's just part of their usual e-mail footer.

I'm very busy around the dates of the ACs and really, really need to know which slot I've been allocated to, but they still haven't told us. Arghhh. I don't want to be annoying, but if we have to wait much longer then I'll have to call them.
Reply 323
Original post by rainbow drops
I had read the website, thank you :rolleyes: I was just wondering why there was a section of the e-mail we received about the first AC that discussed interviews, that's all. I assume it's just part of their usual e-mail footer.

I'm very busy around the dates of the ACs and really, really need to know which slot I've been allocated to, but they still haven't told us. Arghhh. I don't want to be annoying, but if we have to wait much longer then I'll have to call them.

They did say candidates would hear by the end of the day so I doubt you have to get too worried about it!
Reply 324
I take it no one else has heard about their AC date yet either?
Just got an email saying WE NEED TO BRING A CALCULATOR.

Whhhhyyyyy

I thought we didn't do numerical/verbal tests - I say because I was on a forum thing with NGDP and they said we didn't eek very, very worried. MAths is not my fav subject.

Any ideas...?!
Reply 326
First of all, hello to everyone. I am a new member and this is my first post.

I also just heard back, and panicked when I saw it said to bring a calculator. Do you have a link to the forum you read that on?

I think all we can do is brush up on our maths slightly. I am in the same boat as you since I have not done maths since GCSEs...

You never know, it might not even be a numerical reasoning test. Could be some other kind of excercise.

I hope this has helped ease your panic a bit!
Original post by tizzybelle
Just got an email saying WE NEED TO BRING A CALCULATOR.

Whhhhyyyyy

I thought we didn't do numerical/verbal tests - I say because I was on a forum thing with NGDP and they said we didn't eek very, very worried. MAths is not my fav subject.

Any ideas...?!

Hahahahahaha, fml. Could be something to do with working out a budget? Still, fml.

I've been given my second choice of time slot when I replied to their email within about half an hour of receiving it, and they said it was first come first served :frown: surely the places in my first choice wouldn't all have gone in that time?! Ugh.
Reply 328
Hi to all. Like Y'crik I have just joined.

I imagine that it will be relatively simple mathematics - any graduate programmes that require more advanced mathematics seem (in my experience) to let you know before assessment centres. However, I agree that it's probably a good idea to brush up on maths skills beforehand (that's my fun-filled weekend sorted).

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 329
Original post by JoschkaUK
Hi to all. Like Y'crik I have just joined.

I imagine that it will be relatively simple mathematics - any graduate programmes that require more advanced mathematics seem (in my experience) to let you know before assessment centres. However, I agree that it's probably a good idea to brush up on maths skills beforehand (that's my fun-filled weekend sorted).

Good luck to everyone!

I think it might be reasonably simple, but as you say, it is still best to prepare. It is a bit annoying, as I am suppossed to be finishing my dissertation, but I guess that can wait.

Even if it is numerical reasoning, apparently it is no harder than GCSE maths (though having looked at some practice tests, I would say it is harder than GCSE maths).

Good luck to everyone as well! :smile:
Thanks guys,

Anyone going to the London afternoon session?

I'LL BE THERE!!! With my calculator sulking...

=/
Reply 331
I am going to the London session, but mine is the morning one meaning a nice early train for me... :sleep:
Reply 332
Yes, Tizzybelle. I'm going to the afternoon session in London. I too shall most likely be found skulking; but I, no doubt, shall be uttering expletives and threats at my calculator!
I'm in the afternoon at Coventry slot!

Anyone else?
Original post by Vanilla*Pod
I'm in the afternoon at Coventry slot!

Anyone else?

I'm going to the morning one on the 13th. It's on my birthday, what a nice way to spend the day :tongue:

Does anyone have any kind of idea what we will be doing? I know it's a written exercise and it says we should bring a calculator, I'm thinking it might involve a numerical and verbal reasoning type test?
Original post by tizzybelle
Thanks guys,

Anyone going to the London afternoon session?

I'LL BE THERE!!! With my calculator sulking...

=/

I will be at the afternoon assessment centre in London on Tuesday 3 April.

See you there :smile:.
Reply 336
Original post by laura130490
I'm going to the morning one on the 13th. It's on my birthday, what a nice way to spend the day :tongue:

Does anyone have any kind of idea what we will be doing? I know it's a written exercise and it says we should bring a calculator, I'm thinking it might involve a numerical and verbal reasoning type test?

I'm sort of hoping that it isn't these, but no one is really sure. I found a bit from previous applicants and that talks about needing to know stuff about local government but I think they've changed the whole process this year, as they seem to have done away with telephone interviews. Nothing wrong with doing a few mock tests anyway.

Would they have told us if it were these tests? I mean, they say no preparation is needed...:confused:
Reply 337
Original post by Y'crik
I'm sort of hoping that it isn't these, but no one is really sure. I found a bit from previous applicants and that talks about needing to know stuff about local government but I think they've changed the whole process this year, as they seem to have done away with telephone interviews. Nothing wrong with doing a few mock tests anyway.

Would they have told us if it were these tests? I mean, they say no preparation is needed...:confused:

What else do you think a calculator would be necessary for then?
Original post by GdotL

We might be given some sort of imaginary scenario on which we have to write a report, which could involve a budget of some sort? Dunno :dontknow:

I don't think it's going to be verbal and numerical reasoning, as ACs tend to warn people in advance about those. It wouldn't make much sense from a practicality point of view to do them now, either, as they could have been done online earlier in the process to cut more candidates (which would have saved the NGDP money on everyone's expenses!)

We'll see.
Reply 339
Original post by GdotL

I am wondering if we will be presented with some information, both written and financial and asked to write a report making a recommendation on something... When I spoke to my careers department, they said two hours seems to be too long for psychometric tests. They suggested this, or a personality test as something that may come up. But you wouldn't need a calculator for a personality test (as far as I know). I mean, this is obviously a guess along with everyone else on here.

I am not saying it won't be these tests because I honestly have no idea just like the rest of you, and I will be practicing them this weekend. I got some information on previous years from an old thread on here though and I don't recall them coming up. I will re-read it, however, and check.

*Edit - Just saw the post above saying a similar thing to me. I do think there is a possibility it will be report writing.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending