Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NGDP

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura130490)
    That's what happened to my secondary school. It hasn't helped much though. I've only applied to two others. I've applied to the clinical science grad scheme, it's literally the only science grad scheme I can do with my degree, and the NHS graduate management one. They were the only ones (including this one) that I liked the sound of. I think I must have a thing for the public sector I haven't heard back yet from the clinical science one, but I got through to the final stage of the NHS management one, don't think I did very well though, so not expecting a job from that.
    In regards to your comment about being ripped apart on some other thread, that sounds a bit stupid to me. I don't think a lot of people know exactly what they want to do with their life at this point. I don't know exactly, short of something in the public sector.

Good luck with the NHS one. No news is good news; I think people often think they have done much worse than they have! If this doesn't come through with a job for me, it will be back to applying to graduate schemes in September and trying to find some work in my home town.

I don't think my old school has improved much to be honest... I think when I attended, I read somewhere that GCSE Pass Rates were under 40% for five A*-Cs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ940y2ggY0 - Whilst we are all panicking over this AD, here is some music to cheer people up. :yy:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'crik)
    In regards to your comment about being ripped apart on some other thread, that sounds a bit stupid to me. I don't think a lot of people know exactly what they want to do with their life at this point. I don't know exactly, short of something in the public sector.

Good luck with the NHS one. No news is good news; I think people often think they have done much worse than they have! If this doesn't come through with a job for me, it will be back to applying to graduate schemes in September and trying to find some work in my home town.

I don't think my old school has improved much to be honest... I think when I attended, I read somewhere that GCSE Pass Rates were under 40% for five A*-Cs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ940y2ggY0 - Whilst we are all panicking over this AD, here is some music to cheer people up. :yy:
    Yeah it was by someone who said he'd dedicated years of his life to trying to get on the scheme and had PhDs and stuff and seemed pretty outraged that I was considering other careers. Like you say though, how many recent uni grads know exactly what job they want to go into? I think in this climate as well you can't afford to be too picky.

In regards to the NHS scheme, I'm hoping that's what's happened. I think it's put me off ACs for life though! It was like being on the apprentice, some people were very ruthless. I suppose that's the nature of them though and to be expected really.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was by someone who said he'd dedicated years of his life to trying to get on the scheme and had PhDs and stuff and seemed pretty outraged that I was considering other careers. Like you say though, how many recent uni grads know exactly what job they want to go into? I think in this climate as well you can't afford to be too picky.

In regards to the NHS scheme, I'm hoping that's what's happened. I think it's put me off ACs for life though! It was like being on the apprentice, some people were very ruthless. I suppose that's the nature of them though and to be expected really.
    How rude of someone to say that to you :\ it's perfectly normal to be interested in a number of careers at this point. I know I am, and I'm seriously considering applying for a PGCE in the autumn, but this graduate scheme sounds brilliant as well, and it would be daft not to keep my options open in the meantime.

The only ACs I've been to have been tests and haven't involved group discussions or anything, but I've heard some horror stories from friends about the fast stream FSACs. I'm pretty glad that the NGDP hasn't indicated that we'll be doing that kind of AC yet, as competitive, arrogant people annoy me beyond belief.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I agree. Fair enough if he knows what he wants to do, but a lot of people don't.

Well, good luck! I have yet to go to an AC, so I am pretty clueless in regards to how other people act...

(Original post by rainbow drops)
    How rude of someone to say that to you :\ it's perfectly normal to be interested in a number of careers at this point. I know I am, and I'm seriously considering applying for a PGCE in the autumn, but this graduate scheme sounds brilliant as well, and it would be daft not to keep my options open in the meantime.

The only ACs I've been to have been tests and haven't involved group discussions or anything, but I've heard some horror stories from friends about the fast stream FSACs. I'm pretty glad that the NGDP hasn't indicated that we'll be doing that kind of AC yet, as competitive, arrogant people annoy me beyond belief.
    We did a careers thing at my Uni, and there were some group things that we tried. I think every one will be different in some way. I agree with you on competitive, arrogant people... I don't understand why they feel the need to be that way.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

That's what I tried to get across to him, but he was having none of it. I think the mods deleted one of his posts in the end because what he was saying was really nasty, just no need for it.

Yeah there were some people like that at the AC I went to, the kind who will try and make you look bad so they can look good, think they're the bees knees and it's a walk in the park etc. I'd really hate for one of the ACs on this scheme to be like that, it wasn't a very nice experience for the most part.

I agree. Fair enough if he knows what he wants to do, but a lot of people don't.

Well, good luck! I have yet to go to an AC, so I am pretty clueless in regards to how other people act...

We did a careers thing at my Uni, and there were some group things that we tried. I think every one will be different in some way. I agree with you on competitive, arrogant people... I don't understand why they feel the need to be that way.
    Thank you Don't get me wrong, a lot of people there were nice, but some of them were just horrible and reminded me of some of the people on the apprentice. There was also this kind of atmosphere where you could tell everyone was trying to suss each other out and show off about how they are better. I was shocked at the amount of people there from Oxbridge as well, but heard it was far far worse at the fast stream ACs.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

The people at my FSAC were really nice. The way the group exercise was set up - so that everybody's interests were as opposed as possible - wasn't, though. Was absurdly difficult. That said, my Teach First group exercise was quite an enjoyable experience. I wonder how NGDP will pitch it, as I assume AC2 will involve such a task (for those lucky enough to get through).

And I assume NGDP AC1 will be 'here's a scenario and a load of documents - write a report including some basic accounting/statistical analysis giving a recommendation'. One of the FSAC Policy Recommendation exercises was very much like that, so it wouldn't be a surprise. The only thing is, marking 100s (maybe 1000s) of those would be very labour intensive.

Anyway, would be nicer if there was more transparency as to what is going on. Other grad schemes I've applied for have been much more open about what the application process involves. I understand that they've changed it this year - but surely that's all the more reason to be up front about it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh gawd! Everyone on here is talking about their relevant experience and reasons for wanting to work in local government....seems like I filled in the application form so, so long ago that I can't even remember what I put! I'm pretty nervous about this now. Found out last week I juuuuust missed out in the Civil Service GFS (so frustrating) and so although I know I MUST be a credible candidate I'm now really conscious of all the things I did wrong!

Out of interest, does anyone on here know much about the scheme itself? I mean, this is 100% the kind of thing I want to be doing, but that said, it is my second choice grad scheme. As I was so close for the Civil Service, I'm going to be applying again next year. If by any chance I do get this job, am I contracted to finish out the scheme? I mean there's every chance I'll love it....but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and feel like I'm stuck in a job that wasn't quite the dream, you know?

I realise this sounds a lot like I think the NGDP is beneath me... :/ This isn't at all the case but getting such a close score for the civ. serv. has put me in a kind of 'well I'll show THEM' mentality about next year!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeluckyapril)
    Oh gawd! Everyone on here is talking about their relevant experience and reasons for wanting to work in local government....seems like I filled in the application form so, so long ago that I can't even remember what I put! I'm pretty nervous about this now. Found out last week I juuuuust missed out in the Civil Service GFS (so frustrating) and so although I know I MUST be a credible candidate I'm now really conscious of all the things I did wrong!

Out of interest, does anyone on here know much about the scheme itself? I mean, this is 100% the kind of thing I want to be doing, but that said, it is my second choice grad scheme. As I was so close for the Civil Service, I'm going to be applying again next year. If by any chance I do get this job, am I contracted to finish out the scheme? I mean there's every chance I'll love it....but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and feel like I'm stuck in a job that wasn't quite the dream, you know?

I realise this sounds a lot like I think the NGDP is beneath me... :/ This isn't at all the case but getting such a close score for the civ. serv. has put me in a kind of 'well I'll show THEM' mentality about next year!
    I would say don't worry about your application. You obviously did enough right to make it this far! Each graduate scheme is different, even ones that seem to be similar.

From what I understand, just because you do this scheme and train in Local Government, you don't have to work there forever. After the scheme, nothing is stopping you from searching out jobs in the Civil Service in general. One of the possibilities I am still considering is working in the Foreign Office (if I could get in, that is). Like people were talking about above, you don't need to decide your whole life right now. Just because you take this job, doesn't mean you have to do it forever. I hope this helps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say don't worry about your application. You obviously did enough right to make it this far! Each graduate scheme is different, even ones that seem to be similar.

From what I understand, just because you do this scheme and train in Local Government, you don't have to work there forever. After the scheme, nothing is stopping you from searching out jobs in the Civil Service in general. One of the possibilities I am still considering is working in the Foreign Office (if I could get in, that is). Like people were talking about above, you don't need to decide your whole life right now. Just because you take this job, doesn't mean you have to do it forever. I hope this helps.
    Thank you!! I suppose I should have been more clear - I was wondering (if successful) whether I'd be contractually obliged to complete the scheme? So if, for example, I wanted to leave after just a year, would that be allowed?

If you're wanting to work for the FCO are you planning on applying for the Fast Stream any time soon?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeluckyapril)
    Thank you!! I suppose I should have been more clear - I was wondering (if successful) whether I'd be contractually obliged to complete the scheme? So if, for example, I wanted to leave after just a year, would that be allowed?

If you're wanting to work for the FCO are you planning on applying for the Fast Stream any time soon?
    I honestly couldn't say...If I was guessing, I would assume you had to complete it, unless you had a really good reason for dropping out. I don't think their website has much about this either. I don't even think there would be a good time to ask such a question...

I plan to apply next September, unless the NGDP comes through with a job. I wouldn't mind working in local government, and it doesn't have to be forever, if I wanted to move to the Civil Service instead.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hope they don't ask us complicated questions about the local government. I did some research before and after I applied to the position, but other than that I have no prior experience or knowledge of working in the government or things related to it. Unless you can count being the head of the student council for 5 years I'm kind of shocked I've even made it though this far tbh.

What's everyone's background btw?
    Every council will have its own council plan which will normally contain 5 or 6 or so strategic corporate objectives. There's normally a local partnership plan too which looks similar to the council plan but contains objectives that the council and its local partners in the private, public and voluntary sectors supposedly follow.
    http://www.derby.gov.uk/council-and-...ies-and-plans/

Councils are now run by cabinets of up to 10 or so councillors. Each member has their own portfolio such as planning, children/young people & resources etc... This, like with the government, has arguably weakened the power of non cabinet councillors. But those councillors can get involved with corporate affairs through decision making committees and scrutiny commissions, which monitor the performance of council services. The council constitution sets out how all these things should work.

Remember that county and district councils have different levels of responsibility, whereas London councils, met districts and unitary authorities are normally responsible for everything in their areas. Sometimes there's overlap with national park authorities.

Don't forget about key statutory plans such as the Local Plan and its replacement, the Core Strategy (not counties), which contain all the planning & development polices and the Local Transport Plan which contains the transport policies. There's usually something for children, equality, housing and leisure as well. Worth checking to see what your local council has.

Hope that helps!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly couldn't say...If I was guessing, I would assume you had to complete it, unless you had a really good reason for dropping out. I don't think their website has much about this either. I don't even think there would be a good time to ask such a question...

I plan to apply next September, unless the NGDP comes through with a job. I wouldn't mind working in local government, and it doesn't have to be forever, if I wanted to move to the Civil Service instead.
    Yep, a friend of mine left the council to work for the Environment Agency and another friend left the Environment Agency to work for a council!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I should add something about senior officers as this is what NGDP is trying to create.

The Chief Executive is the most senior officer. He/she oversees all council services and works with the councillors to set the council's priorities. Six figure salary guaranteed (200k for some but more like 150k) although the government (and council tax payers) take more notice of salary amounts these days. You then have the Strategic Director, who heads a department such as Planning, Highways & Environment. (can also have six figure salary). Then there's the Director/Assistant director who heads a division of the department such as the full planning function plus a few extras. Then you have the section head/service manager, who runs a specific service such as planning development control. I'd have thought this is the minimum level that NGDP high flyers should be ultimately aiming for!

Senior officers have significant powers delegated to them, such as the approval of some planning applications, the approval of making statutory orders or the approval of smaller contracts. This relieves the load for committees which deal with the key decisions. But the downside is that if things go wrong, you can take the rap even if you only had indirect involvement in a matter. Just ask Sharon Shoesmith!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitebot)
    Oh, I should add something about senior officers as this is what NGDP is trying to create. You have the Strategic Director, who heads a department such as Planning, Highways & Environment. Then there's the Director/Assistant director who heads a division of the department such as the full planning function plus a few extras. Then you have the section head/service manager, who runs a specific service such as planning development control. I'd have thought this is the minimum level that NGDP high flyers should be ultimately aiming for!

Senior officers have significant powers delegated to them, such as the approval of some planning applications, the approval of making statutory orders or the approval of smaller contracts. This relieves the load for committees which deal with the key decisions. But the downside is that if things go wrong, you can take rap even if you only had indirect involvement in a matter. Just ask Sharon Shoesmith!!
    Thank you for this. I had no idea about this sort of thing, so it has been a great help for me. I assume anyone applying for this role has a senior position as their goal, but I didn't know about all the individual levels involved.

Does anyone know if it will be two assessment days? I checked the email, and that suggests two, but the website seems to suggest one and then a local authority interview -
    We will have contacted all applicants regarding the first stage of the ngdp by friday 9th March 2012

If your application is successful you will be invited to an assessment centre in April 2012.

There will then be a round of interviews in May / June 2012 to decide the final intake.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitebot)
    Oh, I should add something about senior officers as this is what NGDP is trying to create. You have the Strategic Director, who heads a department such as Planning, Highways & Environment. Then there's the Director/Assistant director who heads a division of the department such as the full planning function plus a few extras. Then you have the section head/service manager, who runs a specific service such as planning development control. I'd have thought this is the minimum level that NGDP high flyers should be ultimately aiming for!

Senior officers have significant powers delegated to them, such as the approval of some planning applications, the approval of making statutory orders or the approval of smaller contracts. This relieves the load for committees which deal with the key decisions. But the downside is that if things go wrong, you can take rap even if you only had indirect involvement in a matter. Just ask Sharon Shoesmith!!
    Yes thanks for sharing your knowledge - when's your assessment day?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this. I had no idea about this sort of thing, so it has been a great help for me. I assume anyone applying for this role has a senior position as their goal, but I didn't know about all the individual levels involved.
    Yeah, rank is important in public service because unlike in the private sector you don't normally have people doing the same job but on different salaries.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it will be two assessment days? I checked the email, and that suggests two, but the website seems to suggest one and then a local authority interview -
    Concentrate on passing the first stage instead
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    Concentrate on passing the first stage instead
    Ha Ha. I plan to do so, but I've a fairly packed next few months. It'd be a great help to me if I didn't have to prepare for another AC...
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ha Ha. I plan to do so, but I've a fairly packed next few months. It'd be a great help to me if I didn't have to prepare for another AC...
    Well, you hardly have to 'prepare' much at this stage - save that for the interview! :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    Well, you hardly have to 'prepare' much at this stage - save that for the interview! :eek:
    I am brushing up on my math skills, and doing some reading about LG...Just in case. Only problem is, I was supposed to be working on my dissertation. It isn't due for a month but I want to get it done.

I figured it was better to prepare a little, even if it turns out to not be needed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.