The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, I've been following your threads with interest and a bit of jealousy to be honest! I applied last year and got to the local authority interview stage. Unfortunately I didn't get through and deferred (like Stormstar?) However, this year I am now pregnant, expecting in July, so it looks like I won't be that employable when the interviews come around again! I doubt they'll let me defer for another year either. Good luck to you all, sounds like it has changed a lot since last year - two assessment centres! Doesn't sound like the organisation has improved much though! Ali
Reply 441
Original post by alidotcodotuk
Hi all, I've been following your threads with interest and a bit of jealousy to be honest! I applied last year and got to the local authority interview stage. Unfortunately I didn't get through and deferred (like Stormstar?) However, this year I am now pregnant, expecting in July, so it looks like I won't be that employable when the interviews come around again! I doubt they'll let me defer for another year either. Good luck to you all, sounds like it has changed a lot since last year - two assessment centres! Doesn't sound like the organisation has improved much though! Ali

So if you're rejected at the interview stage you are fast tracked for an interview the following year? :s-smilie:
Reply 442
Yeah, you sort of get a second chance. I think in our case it's that we made the assessment centres, so we are good calibre candidates, it's just that we weren't matched with a right Local Authority. Hopefully that'll change this year (if working in a council in their Housing Benefit department for the last year doesn't, then I give up!) So yeah, it's not the end of the world really, but we are also up against you guys too and vice-versa.

I did receive an email from Ami too stating basically we have info days coming in late May and interviews to commence in June. YAY
Reply 443
I've made it to the second stage - check your emails.
Reply 444
Original post by stormstar
Yeah, you sort of get a second chance. I think in our case it's that we made the assessment centres, so we are good calibre candidates, it's just that we weren't matched with a right Local Authority. Hopefully that'll change this year (if working in a council in their Housing Benefit department for the last year doesn't, then I give up!) So yeah, it's not the end of the world really, but we are also up against you guys too and vice-versa.

I did receive an email from Ami too stating basically we have info days coming in late May and interviews to commence in June. YAY

Thanks for clarifying.
Reply 445
I have also made it through to the next stage - a bit annoying that the centres are in Coventry AND just after my exam period but there we go...

I hope everyone did well! :biggrin:
I got through also. Very surprised but I shan't complain! Well done all...
Hey, which centre did you attend? those who have gotten through. I have yet to receive an email either way
Reply 448
I'm through and went to London. Pleased!
I am through too I went to London. Happy :-D
I am also through to the second stage of assessment :biggrin:.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've just been told that I'm on a reserve list, but even if I am offered a place, I seriously doubt I'll be attending as I now have other plans for next year and all the assessment centre dates are horribly inconvenient to my final deadlines. Best of luck with the rest of the process to you all :smile:
Reply 452
Best of luck on the final stages.

I hope you all end up working in the Council that you want to work in. However, be open to opportunity . . .

I know plenty of NMT's who have been completely set on a Council only to find that it is not what they expected. Others have ended up somewhere they did not expect and had a fantastic experience.

One piece of advice. Find someone who can give you some feedback on your interview style for the final interviews. I thought I was really good at interviews -- when you are up against 10 other people who are 'really good' at interviews everything counts.

There are some very good consultants dedicated to helping graduates succeed at interviews. They are well worth their cost if you have some spare cash. (If you can't afford professional advice, contact your university careers department. They will be able to run through things, but will not have the depth of experience of the professionals).

Again, best of luck!
Reply 453
Agreed with the above. I thought the interviews would be a doddle, then realised that there was 9 other candidates who were superior to me.

Although compared to the above I got feedback from Ami and co.
Reply 454
Hello,

For those through to the second assessment centre in Coventry - do you think we will have an interview?

I don't want to go through preparing all my motivational, competency and organisation/role understanding answers so am hoping not.

The group exercise obv wont contain any of these but an individual briefing? Do you think that will be similar to the previous assessment centre ie report writing or could it include the stuff I don't want to revise?

I emailed NGDP and asked and they refused to tell me anything. My instinct would say that interviews would come after this stage as we haven't even given preferences for authorities/don't know which ones are participating this year

Any thoughts very much appreciated (as long as they aren't more 'oh its so hard be afraid')
Hi NoExpert,

There are definitely interviews after the second stage assessment (with the local authorities themselves) but not sure about the assessment centre.

I would imagine that they will definitely try to get a good sense of us at this assessment centre but not sure how formal that will be.

Not very useful, sorry. BUT the good news is that everyone is in the same boat! And, at the end of the day: if we're right for the role, we're right for the role! I'm going to have a think about some competency questions but I'm not going to prepare too much.
I rang them and they told me that the assessment centre required no preparation. That is was one of those assessment days that you could not prepare for.
Reply 457
Original post by fivebyfive
I rang them and they told me that the assessment centre required no preparation. That is was one of those assessment days that you could not prepare for.

Not quite sure whether that's a good sign or a bad sign! Anyone going on the Friday afternoon?
Reply 458
Original post by GdotL
Not quite sure whether that's a good sign or a bad sign! Anyone going on the Friday afternoon?

Friday the 18th? I am booked into the 3:45 centre. :biggrin:
Reply 459
Does anyone know if we are likely to get a job at the end of the 2 years? If we were successful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending