Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NGDP

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard about any interviews yet? Encouraged by the 'at least two' stuff from Ami yesterday, but just want to get one in the bag!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajs12345)
    Has anyone heard about any interviews yet? Encouraged by the 'at least two' stuff from Ami yesterday, but just want to get one in the bag!
    So far I've got 3. You should hear soon I think .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah good news, thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got one so far, not my preference unfortunately. Still let's see how the day goes. Trying to get time off with work should be fun...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Has anyone received their second stage assessment centre expenses yet?

Thanks.

HKF.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    Hi all,

Has anyone received their second stage assessment centre expenses yet?

Thanks.

HKF.
    I haven't even received my first ones back yet, have you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you guys scan your receipts in and send them as an email? Or post them with hard copies? Or just sent the claim without?

I need to send my 2nd assessment centre ones off before I go away tomorrow.

Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicefward)
    Did you guys scan your receipts in and send them as an email? Or post them with hard copies? Or just sent the claim without?

I need to send my 2nd assessment centre ones off before I go away tomorrow.

Thanks.
    I sent my confirmation e-mail for my train ticket (with the details of journey, price etc) with the form they provided to us. You can also provide hard copy receipts and tickets as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered 1 interview but not too happy about where it is. Have most people been offered more than 1? I will of course attend but I'm hoping to get at least 1 other!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it depends on the local authorities. It's a bit odd Ami is the only one doing all of the work, seems alot for one person. You'd think there would be at least a colleague helping out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree. But judging from the whole process, I get the distinct impression that the budget for the ngdp has been significantly cut since last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the programme was gone in a few years' time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I too have only been offered one interview so far, and really not somewhere I'm keen to work! On top of that it's going to cost me close to £150 in travel costs on the day plus involves getting a really incredibly inconveniently early train and STILL possibly not making it in time.

I emailed Ami to explain the situation (costs, can't stay the night before as that would be even MORE expensive, even the earliest morning train mightn't get me in in time etc etc etc) and if I forfeit this interview I might not get another one. She says they're tying to allocate two to each candidate but there's no guarantee. From the previous information I sort of felt like we were pretty much guaranteed two, and it seemed to suggest that most candidates stand a good change of getting one of their top two choices. Not me, obviously!

I'm so keen to do this but I simply can't understand why they made us put council preferences down if that doesn't have any bearing on what interviews we're given first. It seems to me to make more sense not to get people's hopes up and then have them crash down when they realise that if they get offered a job at their first interview they might never get to see their preferred council unless they make the hard decision of turning down a job offer in the hope of another one! I could understand if we could hold job offers or we were given interviews in preference order, but there we are.

Really not sure what to do now - obviously if my current interview offer is the only one I get (sad face) then I don't want to give it up but I also don't have £100+ to spend, especially as it involves taking a day off work.

Has anyone had their preferred council yet? Someone must have!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I haven't had any emails about interviews yet. We've still got 24 days left until the interview period is over so we shouldn't worry yet!

Good luck everyone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeluckyapril)
    Yup! I've been offered a single interview thus far, but it was with my first choice, so of course I'll take it if I'm offered it. I assume if that happens then I'll never know whether I would have received another interview, as I think the job offers come via Ami?

Good luck, all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha having an absolute MARE over here - spoke to the fabled Ami on the phone today - she needed to know by 3:30 whether or not I was doing the aforementioned interview, but hasn't managed to confirm if she can get me an interview at my first choice place yet. Bitten the bullet and presumed that I will get another interview...somewhere...but to make my life worse the interview day at my first choice is the day I'm supposed to be leaving the country at 5am! Cue panicked flight checking to see if I can fly out that evening instead but I can't even book anything until I know if I even have this interview/what time the day will finish!

Bless the poor woman, she sounded as though she had the weight of the world on her shoulders when I called. I wouldn't want her job right now! (Not that I'm making life easier for her, feel a bit guilty every time I send an email)

Has anyone had an interview yet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!

Yeah I've had my first one today, have my second one next week. Today was interesting as I was unmasked when I met other candidates!! But to the point at hand, she must be under intense stress and pressure...there was a lady called Clare Christopher running it last year (maybe this is why she left, she saw what was coming).

I think its better this year as last year we didn't get to choose any councils (just regional preferences). But as the other people have said I'd hold out for this week (and til July) as some councils are late in the month and some deadlines/interviews are late in the month, like Greenwich is on the 29/06/12.

Good Luck all!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormstar)
    Yeah I think it depends on the local authorities. It's a bit odd Ami is the only one doing all of the work, seems alot for one person. You'd think there would be at least a colleague helping out.
    There are a couple of people who help out with a few other bits on the programme but there have been some large budget cuts on the programme and the LGA more generally so staffing has been cut to the bone a bit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeluckyapril)
    I too have only been offered one interview so far, and really not somewhere I'm keen to work! On top of that it's going to cost me close to £150 in travel costs on the day plus involves getting a really incredibly inconveniently early train and STILL possibly not making it in time.

I emailed Ami to explain the situation (costs, can't stay the night before as that would be even MORE expensive, even the earliest morning train mightn't get me in in time etc etc etc) and if I forfeit this interview I might not get another one. She says they're tying to allocate two to each candidate but there's no guarantee. From the previous information I sort of felt like we were pretty much guaranteed two, and it seemed to suggest that most candidates stand a good change of getting one of their top two choices. Not me, obviously!

I'm so keen to do this but I simply can't understand why they made us put council preferences down if that doesn't have any bearing on what interviews we're given first. It seems to me to make more sense not to get people's hopes up and then have them crash down when they realise that if they get offered a job at their first interview they might never get to see their preferred council unless they make the hard decision of turning down a job offer in the hope of another one! I could understand if we could hold job offers or we were given interviews in preference order, but there we are.

Really not sure what to do now - obviously if my current interview offer is the only one I get (sad face) then I don't want to give it up but I also don't have £100+ to spend, especially as it involves taking a day off work.

My situation is near-identical to yours. I have a great deal of sympathy for Ami, however, as I'm sure her job pretty much sucks at the moment. Nevertheless, I find it quite bizarre how we are supposed to basically withdraw from the whole process simply because getting to the first council we have been offered is a logistical nightmare.

I am now quite worried that we won't be offered another interview simply for voicing our concerns.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I found this thread the other day, I’m also through to the interview stage which I’m absolutely chuffed about!
    Without sounding like a lecturing parent, to those despairing over not being offered an interview at their first choice council, just think of the 2370 other people who applied to be in our position and how lucky we are to be given this opportunity. The graduate job market is cut throat at the moment, so I think we should all be embracing every opportunity we’re given.
    I understand that logistically some council aren’t ideal, or perhaps they don’t focus as much on the issues that you’re interested in, but you never know, you could go to the interview, meet the people and end up loving it more than the council you originally chose!
    I’ve been fortunate enough to be offered an interview at one of my chosen authorities, as well as one that I hadn’t considered, but after investigating it more, it seems like a great place to work. I think that whichever authority the lucky successful candidates end up, they will have an amazing 2 years and experience a lot of things that many other graduate scheme can’t offer.
    Anyway, I hope that makes those who are worried feel a bit better about it all!
    Good luck everyone!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avituss)
    My situation is near-identical to yours. I have a great deal of sympathy for Ami, however, as I'm sure her job pretty much sucks at the moment. Nevertheless, I find it quite bizarre how we are supposed to basically withdraw from the whole process simply because getting to the first council we have been offered is a logistical nightmare.

I am now quite worried that we won't be offered another interview simply for voicing our concerns.
    I know what you mean, I was considering dropping my first interview choice (again due to logistical reasons). But in the end I was lucky to get some time off for it.

Really you can only email Ami again and really stress your circumstances.

Also to the above, true, but we did pick councils and regional preferences for a reason...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2014
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.