Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NGDP

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avituss)

I am now quite worried that we won't be offered another interview simply for voicing our concerns.
    I feel the same - although I'm sure they simply wouldn't be allowed to take a potential interview away from us for voicing concerns or having logistical and financial reasons for not being able to attend an offered interview it does worry me. On Tuesday Ami told me that she would let everyone know about interviews for my first choice council that evening - it's now past close of business on Thursday and I haven't heard anything. I can only presume I wasn't considered. However as she told me I had to let her know about my first interview by 3:30 that day I'm currently a bit high and dry. I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. Once again I do not envy her position!

(Original post by oiseau)
    Hi everyone,
    I found this thread the other day, I’m also through to the interview stage which I’m absolutely chuffed about!
    Without sounding like a lecturing parent, to those despairing over not being offered an interview at their first choice council, just think of the 2370 other people who applied to be in our position and how lucky we are to be given this opportunity. The graduate job market is cut throat at the moment, so I think we should all be embracing every opportunity we’re given.

Good luck everyone!
    Congratulations on being through to the interview stage!

Firstly, I'm sure that the vast majority of people through to this stage are as chuffed as you are about the fact (I know I am!), and are indeed aware of the odds they have beaten to get this far.

I can only speak for myself when I say I'm going to do as much embracing as my current job/bank balance will allow me to do - for the most part, the problems people on this thread have had with interviews aren't to do with not wanting to go to that specific council, but more to do with time off/money/the fairly reasonable worry that they're going to miss out on a council that, based on their preferences, they think they will prefer.

I absolutely take your point on potentially ending up somewhere a bit different but loving it all the same, but I think the point that most people are trying to make is that there seems very little need to put down council preferences if interviews are being given out on the basis of first available dates. I'm sure, though it wasn't explicitly stated, that most candidates (like me) presumed that our preferences would be taken into account and we would hopefully be allocated a preferred interview first. It was then a bit of a blow to find out this wasn't the case, especially when one has spent time researching councils to place in one's preferred spots

Once again congratulations on getting two interviews so far - and, dare I say it, it must be a little easier to remind us all how lucky we are when you're in possession of an interview date for your first choice

I hope I don't sound bitter - I'm a bit stressed currently waiting to find out if I have my first choice interview: I have to book some new flights if I want to attend, and I can visualise prices climbing by the day - I just wanted to say that I'm about 99% sure that everyone, whether they're mentioning grievances/problems/anything else is aware that they are lucky to be this far into the process
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeluckyapril)
    I feel the same - although I'm sure they simply wouldn't be allowed to take a potential interview away from us for voicing concerns or having logistical and financial reasons for not being able to attend an offered interview it does worry me. On Tuesday Ami told me that she would let everyone know about interviews for my first choice council that evening - it's now past close of business on Thursday and I haven't heard anything. I can only presume I wasn't considered. However as she told me I had to let her know about my first interview by 3:30 that day I'm currently a bit high and dry. I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. Once again I do not envy her position!

Congratulations on being through to the interview stage!

Firstly, I'm sure that the vast majority of people through to this stage are as chuffed as you are about the fact (I know I am!), and are indeed aware of the odds they have beaten to get this far.

I can only speak for myself when I say I'm going to do as much embracing as my current job/bank balance will allow me to do - for the most part, the problems people on this thread have had with interviews aren't to do with not wanting to go to that specific council, but more to do with time off/money/the fairly reasonable worry that they're going to miss out on a council that, based on their preferences, they think they will prefer.

I absolutely take your point on potentially ending up somewhere a bit different but loving it all the same, but I think the point that most people are trying to make is that there seems very little need to put down council preferences if interviews are being given out on the basis of first available dates. I'm sure, though it wasn't explicitly stated, that most candidates (like me) presumed that our preferences would be taken into account and we would hopefully be allocated a preferred interview first. It was then a bit of a blow to find out this wasn't the case, especially when one has spent time researching councils to place in one's preferred spots

Once again congratulations on getting two interviews so far - and, dare I say it, it must be a little easier to remind us all how lucky we are when you're in possession of an interview date for your first choice

I hope I don't sound bitter - I'm a bit stressed currently waiting to find out if I have my first choice interview: I have to book some new flights if I want to attend, and I can visualise prices climbing by the day - I just wanted to say that I'm about 99% sure that everyone, whether they're mentioning grievances/problems/anything else is aware that they are lucky to be this far into the process
    Well said, although it doesn't make me feel any better about the situation

So far I haven't even been offered a second interview anywhere, and I know of a few people that have been offered 3! I know this is down to preferences/availability etc, but I'm still a little worried that I am going to be interviewing at a council that is going to be near-impossible to commute to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I have yet to recieve even one interview yet... so fingers crossed. Am I right in thinking that you only get told 5 days in advanced of an interview?

Good Luck everyone!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starlock)
    Well I have yet to recieve even one interview yet... so fingers crossed. Am I right in thinking that you only get told 5 days in advanced of an interview?

Good Luck everyone!
    I think you're guaranteed (more or less) at least 5 days notice. But it could be more than that - I got an email on the 12th saying I had an interview on the 21st. But that's the only one I've heard about thus far.

On another note, it kinda sucks having interviews on a Thursday or a Friday, because unless I hear anything in the next couple of hours I'm going to have to sit through the whole weekend wondering what the answer's going to be!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Just found out I got my first choice interview. 17:45 on a Friday! Had given up hope! Fingers crossed that everyone else starts to hear back soon!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeluckyapril)
    Yay! Just found out I got my first choice interview. 17:45 on a Friday! Had given up hope! Fingers crossed that everyone else starts to hear back soon!
    Good job - hope it all goes well for you!

I'm still waiting on a response from my interview last Thursday; I can't help but feel that the longer I wait the less chance I have of an offer! :confused:

Hopefully I'll either hear about that interview or get given another within the next few days...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Just thought it might be useful for people to know in case you're expecting interview invitations or decisions- I've just emailed Ami and got an out of office response until Friday 29th June, so I'm guessing we may not have any contact until then!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also got the same auto response. Presumably everyone has been given all of the offers they are going to get then!

I will probably have to pull out from one of my interviews because 5 days notice simply isn't long enough notice for me to get it off work. I wonder what proportion of the 130 remaining are working full-time or are still at university? They seem to be awfully cavalier about expecting us to drop a day of work at very short notice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avituss)
    I also got the same auto response. Presumably everyone has been given all of the offers they are going to get then!
    It seems very odd that there's a break for a week or so, if that is indeed the case.

Obviously for us it's annoying, but if councils are holding interviews this week (or late last week) then surely they'll be wanting to know whether or not the candidates they make an offer to will take it up or not!

I'm still hoping on another interview, but getting more pessimistic by the day!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest that they are at the LGA Annual Conference, and busy with stuff there.

By the way, congratulations to people already offered positions!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajs12345)
    By the way, congratulations to people already offered positions!
    Indeed! Unfortunately, I'm not one of them . I got a "we regret..." email from Sadie Kerr today. If you're trying to contact people while Ami's away, try the main ngdp@local.gov.uk - that's where my email came from.

Good luck, all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone - good luck for everyone with interviews and congratulations to those who have had offers. I was lucky enough to get an offer from Brent - my first choice too - so pretty over the moon. Was wondering who else from that interview got an offer, this is just me being nosy and wanting to know who im starting with
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EG1989)
    Hey everyone - good luck for everyone with interviews and congratulations to those who have had offers. I was lucky enough to get an offer from Brent - my first choice too - so pretty over the moon. Was wondering who else from that interview got an offer, this is just me being nosy and wanting to know who im starting with
    Very well done I have my first choice interview coming up next week so I hope I get it too! Was there more than one place on offer then? How many people did they interview if so? Thanks .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brent offered 3 places - and there were 8 at the interview. I think they had better odds that some of the others though. a lot are only offering 2.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EG1989)
    Brent offered 3 places - and there were 8 at the interview. I think they had better odds that some of the others though. a lot are only offering 2.
    Thanks .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For those who think they've missed out with Surrey CC, no decision has yet been taken. According to Ami, expect to hear by wednesday at the latest. Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    Thanks .
    At my first interview, there were two places and only six people were interviewed. Seems there tends to be quite good odds. Hope that encourages everyone! Good luck!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hgrad12)
    At my first interview, there were two places and only six people were interviewed. Seems there tends to be quite good odds. Hope that encourages everyone! Good luck!
    Guessing that everyone is probably suitable so they just pick who they like best.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All the interviews are over now, right? How's everyone doing?

Had an interview at Hammersmith and Fulham last Thursday, they're making us wait ten days! Torture.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've only just registered on this. I got two offers, from Surrey and Crawley, and took Surrey. Would be really interested to hear who I'll be working with at Surrey if anyone on here is?

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear back.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 11, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.